Sign in to follow this  
Bovril

Credit to Daniel Farke despite League position

I think Farke deserves great credit that he is managing a side clearly bottom of the league but is not receiving mass calls for his head from the supporters or the media a like. There have been a few articles describing us as the 'best bottom side of the league ever' and this may well be true. 

Despite the league position, as a season as a whole we have still been treated to some great spells of football, often out playing teams far superior to us on paper and historical standing. As frustrating as it has been to let slip 1-0 leads constantly (and this is a matter where Farke has undoubtedly had a short-coming and needs to improve) we have still been well within each game we have played bar a few notable horror games (at United for example) or half's of football (away to Southampton first half) which all teams will have throughout the season. 

So despite the frustrations of the early-season injury crisis, and the odd horror half of football, I for one have enjoyed this season of Premier League football far more than the season under Hughton where we finished 11th. Football is ultimately an entertainment product, and one that Farke has delivered upon. 

• Like 1

Agreed. The absolutely vital thing is if we go down everybody sticks with it. I'm not really the type to "celebrate failure" but on this occasion the club fully deserves our full backing. We can see the plan and we can see it's working- albeit this season has come too early and unfortunately we're just short of what we need (unless we get a huge surprise...).

There is something about our team that somehow encapsulates the beautiful game.

Moments of the sublime. A Dyche Burnley or an Allerdyce West Ham might take more points than us but that is not who we are.

In many ways we are the incurable romantics of the Premier League. 

Ce sera.

Lets stick with it. Win or lose we should love the ideal that we seek to persue. 

Edited by Bonzo
  • Like 2

^ this. Life and football are about love and passion. Not money and results. 

We have found a way to entertain at a level I can't remember seeing in decades.

If this is our model, long may that continue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Totally agree. Although I think we are going to end this season with our worst ever premier league points tally, you have to bear in mind that he had very little money to spend on new signings. What you have to look at is how poor the squad was when he arrived and how great a value a lot of the signings have turned out to be, especially when some of them have been from the youth academy.

Although lots of people are putting Hughton above Farke, in my opinion Hughton is one of the most boring ever managers. Despite keeping Brighton up last season he still got the sack as the fans were fed up with his boring defensive style of play.

I know Hughton got us to 11th in his first season in charge, but if you’re going to him credit you have to give Farke credit because of what Farke has achieved out of the little money he has had to spend and the youth academy - lets not forget Hughton also got us relegated when he had something like £7.5m to spend on players like van Wolfswinkel

Our best chance to do well next season no matter what league we end up in is to simply stick with the plan we have. We know we haven't quite got the points we have perhaps deserved from our football this season, but what we are doing is okay. Yes it's frustrating that we're looking likely to go down and haven't splashed much cash to give it a better go, but, we play entertaining football with exciting young players and to me that's a good thing. The championship isn't an easy league to get out of but Farke steamrolled through whilst building a legacy, I'm very happy with how he has done. It's not his fault, after all, that we haven't spent much money.

Some great points on a good thread, agree we need to keep moving forward with Farkeball, and when you see those young players we’ve signed, loaned back or loaned out it looks very healthy for the future.

The key will be how many of our key young players will buy into him next season and choose to stay here over any big money move to the premiership. If we can keep hold of at least four from Pukki, Godfrey, Cantwell, Buendia, Aarons, Lewis etc we should have the makings of a quality team for the premiership the following year, add to that our other youngsters out on loan and money in the bank it’s looking very solid.