Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Geographical Nonsense

How is this ever a negative in attracting new players? The City should always be a plus point if ever there’s a deciding factor to push through a deal. 

if it really is never just about money (see Huckerby and  others) I’m surprised this is ever used as an excuse to why players are not interested in coming here. If 

It's not used as an excuse. For some players it's a plus point. For others, they prefer to be London based. 

Slight irony (this is a correct usage Moy) of somebody who doesn't live in Norwich, saying there is no excuse for players to not want to live in Norwich.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

Slight irony (this is a correct usage Moy) of somebody who doesn't live in Norwich, saying there is no excuse for players to not want to live in Norwich.

Moy is too busy sabre rattling in Trafalgar Square right now to take your calls. Please be patient, rub the Farage lamp and he will appear once done downing his 4-pack of Carling and pint of KP salted.

• Haha 1

As I work at airport they fly to all the away games . So there is no long coach journeys (like the fans do) If they want to fly home to Europe where they come from Stansted is not that far.So they are payed a good wage and do something they like doing.So Norfolk for them is easy

I'd say for young players keen on improving it could be an attraction. Norwich is a fairly lively place and London isn't exactly far away, but it must be easier to concentrate on improving your game in a quieter, slightly out of the way location.

6 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

If you were a young footballer with a bottomless pit of money and no kids why would you want to move to Norwich ?

A big city club must have more appeal, unless your mates persuaded you that East Anglia was a great place to live too

Cos it's a fine city! 

You couldn’t pay me to live in London. I think it’s an absolute **** hole of a place.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JF said:

You couldn’t pay me to live in London. I think it’s an absolute **** hole of a place.

I agree J F , but I reckon100k a week  would soften the blow of having to work there.  Cities are very different places if you gave heaps of dosh.

25 minutes ago, JF said:

I couldn’t afford to pay for you to live there.

25 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I agree J F , but I reckon100k a week  would soften the blow of having to work there.  Cities are very different places if you gave heaps of dosh.

25 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Yeah I’m sure that’s a nice sweetener for having to live there! I just don’t like the place. I’d happily take a pay cut from 100k to 50k and live in a nice city. Somewhere like Marseille, Barcelona, Rome or Lisbon. Or just take a lower wage and live in a beautiful house here in the countryside with acres of gardens and plenty of bedrooms. £1 million for a 6 bedroom house here with a few acres of land,  or £1 million for a ****ty two bedroom flat. It’s a no brainer really. 

Edited by JF

100k a week and I'd more than happily work in central London even. That sort of salary means you wouldn't have to live there and could travel in daily from your quiet and leafy Surrey village, no problem!

11 minutes ago, Old Shuck said:

100k a week and I'd more than happily work in central London even. That sort of salary means you wouldn't have to live there and could travel in daily from your quiet and leafy Surrey village, no problem!

Yeah that’s the answer. Which then leaves the question of what the op has asked. It’s not so much about a geographical location, it’s about salary. If we were able to pay these sort of wages then Ive no doubt there would be any problem attracting the talent. There was a time that Middlesbrough were able to attract players like Ravenelli and that little Brazilian who’s name escapes me! It’s always been and always will be about the money

Edited by JF

14 hours ago, Hucks6 said:

As I work at airport they fly to all the away games . So there is no long coach journeys (like the fans do) If they want to fly home to Europe where they come from Stansted is not that far.So they are payed a good wage and do something they like doing.So Norfolk for them is easy

Our frugal self-funding club Board also travel to away games in aerial comfort......nice......

Ever noticed how a player based in London will bum around all the London clubs?

or a player based on the Midlands stays in midlands clubs?

geography does matter to some people. The irony is a lot of players who cons here eventually stay when they retire but try telling that to a 20 year old who wants to live in London 

52 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Our frugal self-funding club Board also travel to away games in aerial comfort......nice......

Sounds like the wife doing the washing.

With a biscuit.....

Why wouldn’t they want to live in London, all the things they’d miss. The stabbings, murders, muggings, knifepoint robberies to come to little ole Norwich

• Like 1