Sign in to follow this  
Canary dwarf

Sheffield United

11 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

The only difference is, we wouldn't ever spend £22 million on a player in this current situation! But you know that as well as anyone else on here.

And as others have said, I'm ok with it. We'll have to get used to doing things in this manner. Although it would be nice to be able to get excited about signings such as this one from Sheff U.

They will come in time. Patience my pink friends,  patience.

9 minutes ago, ROBFLECK said:

very good signings and good management , you have to admit

£17.5 million (rising to £20 million) on Oli McBurnie??? 🤔🤨😂

Apples

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

Apples

Well,...I see where you're getting at, but they're 8th in the table...look at us with the GOAT heading our attack... Teemu's a better player , but...

43 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think people miss that signings like this would actually fit perfectly into the 'model' that is preached- young, significant upside and a good chance to develop from a £20-25m player into someone they can sell for £40m+.

I think we're the level below that - signing players for £3-5m and then selling them on for £25-£30m.

12 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

Apples

McBurnie has scored four goals in the league which are directly responsible for 7 points this season.

Our new striker on the other hand...

Just now, Woodman said:

I think we're the level below that - signing players for £3-5m and then selling them on for £25-£30m.

Not this season we're not.

So much rubbish on this thread.

You think RvW was regarded as a bad investment when we bought him? Naismith?

Maddison & Ashton were good - but neither were guaranteed successes (except with the gift of hindsight that so many people seem to have). And they're exactly the sort of player we're trying to sign now; players who are unproven, young & with the potential to fit in with our playing style. There'll be the occasional Rupp type player, but he won't be looking for the big money that established 'proven' players will be. The only way you're going to attract such players is to pay exorbitant wages, as I'm afraid that would be their only incentive to come to Carrow Road.

And, for a club with as little resource as ours, that is the road to ruin.

Edited by ron obvious
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

McBurnie has scored four goals in the league which are directly responsible for 7 points this season.

So would you have sanctioned signing McBurnie for the same fee?

Apples

35 minutes ago, king canary said:

The question for me is,  in what situation would we spend £22m on a player?

I expect something like that won't happen under this regime, as it's not the 'model'.

If we were in a position of having established ourselves at Prem level you may then see that sort of signing the season after. But it's highly doubtful it'll happen any time soon!

7 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

So would you have sanctioned signing McBurnie for the same fee?

Apples

For us? Probably not as I don't think he suits our style of play.

However we have to get used to the fact that a top scoring striker from the Championship is going to cost near £20m.

7 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

I expect something like that won't happen under this regime, as it's not the 'model'.

If we were in a position of having established ourselves at Prem level you may then see that sort of signing the season after. But it's highly doubtful it'll happen any time soon!

And therein lies the problem. It isn't about 'the model' it is about the limitations imposed by our ownership.

In my opinion we're highly unlikely to establish ourselves in the Premier League without being willing to spend £15-20m on a couple of players at least. So we get stuck in a cycle. I could be wrong but I don't think I am.

• Like 1

Yes , that is a problem, I mean the inflated prices... I mean a guy like let's say Olie Watkins at Brentford will cost us more than 20 m

6 minutes ago, ROBFLECK said:

Yes , that is a problem, I mean the inflated prices... I mean a guy like let's say Olie Watkins at Brentford will cost us more than 20 m

West Ham have apparently agreed to pay £16m for Bowen from Hull who is out of contract in 18 months. This is the market we're playing in now.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

West Ham have apparently agreed to pay £16m for Bowen from Hull who is out of contract in 18 months. This is the market we're playing in now.

Makes grim reading... priced out of the market 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I think people miss that signings like this would actually fit perfectly into the 'model' that is preached- young, significant upside and a good chance to develop from a £20-25m player into someone they can sell for £40m+.

He turned them down in the summer though, he's interested now that they're in 8th and 10 points clear of relegation.

It's catch 22, you need good players to get out of the relegation zone, but good players don't want a relegation scrap

It's not ever guaranteed a player will work out, regardless of their value.

One could spend £500,000 and end up with a real player. Another could spend £40 million and end up with Joelinton or someone.

Throwing money at the problem isn't always the answer. I agree that it would be nice to see some signings to get excited about (someone we've heard of who is a known performer) but I also feel many would have felt let down if we'd signed Amadou for £10 million, Fahrmann for however much he's worth, etc.

It is true that player values are hugely inflated now. For example, I saw last year Dijks being touted with AC Milan for £20 million. He may have improved since he was with us and I'm not saying he's a bad player but that's a LOT.

While we have the opportunity to invest in younger players and those with raw talent playing at levels that belittle their skill, plus a coach who is clearly good at developing these lads and giving them a chance, I feel that represents the best opportunity for us to make money and see some blossoming talent week in, week out.

Edited by BobLoz3

1 hour ago, ROBFLECK said:

Makes grim reading... priced out of the market 

Because of our owners we can not even make anywhere near the signings we need to be competitive... its not debatable.. it is a fact. So you are either happy with that or not. Anyone who thinks these owners will reinvest a large part of the money coming from the selling of our best players in the summer is simply deluded.... it will not happen because once they messed it up royally and now that is it... no learning from mistakes....

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Our new striker on the other hand...

.... hasn’t yet played 2 matches worth of football for us. Which to be fair isn’t entirely a surprise when you consider he’s behind Pukki.

Regardless of the goals he’s contributed in a better Sheffield United side I don’t think Mcburnies levels of performances have convinced me we should have spent that amount on a player no matter what position. The small improvement you’d have got wouldn’t have made any difference and would have left us getting relegated with little to show for it. 

29 minutes ago, Hillhead said:

.... hasn’t yet played 2 matches worth of football for us. Which to be fair isn’t entirely a surprise when you consider he’s behind Pukki.

Regardless of the goals he’s contributed in a better Sheffield United side I don’t think Mcburnies levels of performances have convinced me we should have spent that amount on a player no matter what position. The small improvement you’d have got wouldn’t have made any difference and would have left us getting relegated with little to show for it. 

Sheffield Utd finished behind us last season. They invested wisely and are staying up. We did not ... Adding a new player increases the competition and workrate in a squad, so even if not in the side as much he has had the desired effect...

4 hours ago, king canary said:

The question for me is,  in what situation would we spend £22m on a player?

I think you missed out the decimal point between the two 2's

Or perhaps it should have been in front of them

4 hours ago, ron obvious said:

So much rubbish on this thread.

You think RvW was regarded as a bad investment when we bought him? Naismith?

Maddison & Ashton were good - but neither were guaranteed successes (except with the gift of hindsight that so many people seem to have). And they're exactly the sort of player we're trying to sign now; players who are unproven, young & with the potential to fit in with our playing style. There'll be the occasional Rupp type player, but he won't be looking for the big money that established 'proven' players will be. The only way you're going to attract such players is to pay exorbitant wages, as I'm afraid that would be their only incentive to come to Carrow Road.

And, for a club with as little resource as ours, that is the road to ruin.

Wait, you think £9 Mill for a 29 year old Naismith was a good investment?

26 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Wait, you think £9 Mill for a 29 year old Naismith was a good investment?

No. But The club obviously did. Personally I had no idea how he'd turn out (though as always I hoped for the best).

2 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Because of our owners we can not even make anywhere near the signings we need to be competitive... its not debatable.. it is a fact. So you are either happy with that or not. Anyone who thinks these owners will reinvest a large part of the money coming from the selling of our best players in the summer is simply deluded.... it will not happen because once they messed it up royally and now that is it... no learning from mistakes....

But it's not just about the owners having money or not. It's been widely reported that the guy who now owns SU does not have vast amounts of capital (despite his family). This kind of signing is as much about ability to find someone willing to lend them the money and the risk appetite to use it. Im not saying their approach is right and ours is wrong, but it is far easier to find an underwriter when you have a guarantee of PL money for another year and 3 years of parachute payments. But, if the signings turn out to be subpar then you end up in a Naismith like situation if/when relegation comes calling.

2 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I must be deluded then, because I think a sizeable amount of whatever we get in the summer will be reinvested, in players and Colney and perhaps even on ground expansion. Apart from anything else if the money is not spent we are likely to lose a fair proportion in tax.

The owners have an antipathy to spending money that carries a risk by way of long-term high-wage contracts, especially in a gamble to try to stay in the PL, but not to spending money either on infrastructure or on players who are not that kind of a financial risk.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, king canary said:

For us? Probably not as I don't think he suits our style of play.

However we have to get used to the fact that a top scoring striker from the Championship is going to cost near £20m.

The top scoring striker in the last completed Championship season cost the club who bought him a fee of precisely zero pounds! 

• Haha 1

Purple, with a timing difference presumably any corporation tax payable in the Prem will be recovered by offsetting future trading losses following relegation in the chumps (assuming we don’t have taxable trading losses brought forward at the moment which I suspect we have). 

The broadcasting income cash pile (not being invested in players) presumably will be used to offset the net cash outflow on player wages, beyond that supported by the two years of parachute payments in the chumps. Without external investment we simply cannot compete. Farke should be given a medal for what he has achieved with the assets at his disposal.

18 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

The top scoring striker in the last completed Championship season cost the club who bought him a fee of precisely zero pounds! 

Had we not got promoted and a PL club came in for him, how much would we have wanted? I’d say we would have asked for £20 million 

20 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

That may be true but that was before anybody knew that he was going to be the top scoring striker in the last completed Championship season