Sign in to follow this  
Canary dwarf

Sheffield United

Even Sheffield United are spending 22 million on a player we are being left behind ,if we can't compete with them were in trouble .😭

1 minute ago, Canary dwarf said:

Even Sheffield United are spending 22 million on a player we are being left behind ,if we can't compete with them were in trouble .😭

Their owners have a lot more money than ours

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Also they are all but safe so can now afford to make these kind of moves.

Fair play to them. That said they have spent a fair bit and I’d be interested to see their profit / loss over the next few years as their wage bill creeps up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Making Plans said:

We don't have to compete with them. The only teams that are relevant to us right now are the 5 immediately above us in the table

Agreed but financially they can blow us out of the water.

9 minutes ago, Hillhead said:

Also they are all but safe so can now afford to make these kind of moves.

Fair play to them. That said they have spent a fair bit and I’d be interested to see their profit / loss over the next few years as their wage bill creeps up. 

It's a good point there safe and as much as I hate Wilder you got give him a lot of credit.

They have done brilliantly, but once things go wrong, which they will, they will be left in a mess.

It's just a matter of time.

Our model is built on stability,consistency and not boom m bust. Slow and steady wins the race

• Like 3

Theyve had a fantastic season. Maybe theyll stay up for 5 years and build on it. Maybe theyll go down next season. I know, my ability to predict is second to none.

9 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

They have done brilliantly, but once things go wrong, which they will, they will be left in a mess.

Our model is built on stability,consistency and not boom m bust. Slow and steady wins the race

We're consistent all right, just look at the League table 

Good for Sheffield, they’ve got that rich owner,  gone with a Sheffield old boy in Wilder who lets be fair got his own unique style which has worked a treat, but they certainly have invested well and this latest signing is a good young international which I hope improves them.

I’m not going into the green eye’d monster, they’ve done time in lower divisions now reaping rewards like we hope to do in the future.

They’ve done brilliantly this year. Will be very interesting to see how these new players fit in and how they do - I do think they’ll see a dip in form at some point. But by then they’ll be safe as houses, no doubt. Wilder most definitely deserves manager of the year - although they’ll probably give it to Klopp.

As for direct comparisons to us, you only need to look at Villa to once again see it isn’t how much, it’s who you bring in.

Edited by Terminally Yellow
  • Like 1

Got it just right in the summer. Signed a bit of quality but didn’t over spend. To think we were marginally better than them last season but are so far apart now. 

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Theyve had a fantastic season. Maybe theyll stay up for 5 years and build on it. Maybe theyll go down next season. I know, my ability to predict is second to none.

Don’t tell me, there will be 6 winning lottery numbers on Saturday and each one will be between 1 and 59? 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Got it just right in the summer. Signed a bit of quality but didn’t over spend. To think we were marginally better than them last season but are so far apart now. 

The Goldilocks theory of management?

I thought they were a better side than us last season, solid, able to game manage and scored enough to win games, they defended better than us but didn’t score quite enough to take the title from us.

We use our broadcasting cash pile to subsidise player wages in the chumps. Sheffield Utd’s broadcasting cash pile is used to pay player wages in the prem. You couldn’t make it up.

10 minutes ago, Highland Canary said:

We use our broadcasting cash pile to subsidise player wages in the chumps. Sheffield Utd’s broadcasting cash pile is used to pay player wages in the prem. You couldn’t make it up.

You just did! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, glory.win or die. said:

Or they'll sell their new 22 year old DM for a huge profit just as soon as he shows he's the best DM in the league.

This player they've signed is an absolute beast, he'll play for Barcelona or Man City. 

He's a DM that can do everything. 

Think about Amadou, think about Tettey, think about Trybull. 

Now think about the levels..

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I'm not sure we were better than them. We finished above them, but they had a clearer and more consistent way of playing which made them much more suited to the transition. Our way was probably more exciting and attractive, but you can only give them enormous credit for what they have achieved so far. I like Wilder; wears his heart on his sleeve. Their owner is wealthier than ours but not in the billionaire league, so fair play to them for the way they are going about things.

2 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I'm not sure we were better than them. We finished above them, but they had a clearer and more consistent way of playing which made them much more suited to the transition. Our way was probably more exciting and attractive, but you can only give them enormous credit for what they have achieved so far. I like Wilder; wears his heart on his sleeve. Their owner is wealthier than ours but not in the billionaire league, so fair play to them for the way they are going about things.

I thought they worked out their Saudi owner didn't actually have any money? 

ps. Not put any money in for about 18 months, so they are spending the rest of their TV money now that they are confident they are safe.

7 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Don’t tell me, there will be 6 winning lottery numbers on Saturday and each one will be between 1 and 59? 

There it is, a Billism! 😉

Edited by Indy

12 hours ago, Canary dwarf said:

Is this the official 'I wish we were Sheffield United' thread? Am I in the right place?

Edited by Flying Dutchman
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Their owners have a lot more money than ours

They have definitely done far far far better than us without doing a Villa or a Fulham... Shows what can be done with sensible investment

Edited by Kenny Foggo
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Canary dwarf said:

Sheff Utd have deeper pockets and are going to be in the Prem next year , both aspects being In direct  contrast to us. 

8 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Or they'll sell their new 22 year old DM for a huge profit just as soon as he shows he's the best DM in the league.

This player they've signed is an absolute beast, he'll play for Barcelona or Man City. 

He's a DM that can do everything. 

Think about Amadou, think about Tettey, think about Trybull. 

Now think about the levels..

I think people miss that signings like this would actually fit perfectly into the 'model' that is preached- young, significant upside and a good chance to develop from a £20-25m player into someone they can sell for £40m+.

9 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Were there any other teams we finished above last season who we weren't better than?  (I'm asking for a friend who lives in Suffolk). 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think people miss that signings like this would actually fit perfectly into the 'model' that is preached- young, significant upside and a good chance to develop from a £20-25m player into someone they can sell for £40m+.

The only difference is, we wouldn't ever spend £22 million on a player in this current situation! But you know that as well as anyone else on here.

And as others have said, I'm ok with it. We'll have to get used to doing things in this manner. Although it would be nice to be able to get excited about signings such as this one from Sheff U.

5 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

The only difference is, we wouldn't ever spend £22 million on a player in this current situation! But you know that as well as anyone else on here.

And as others have said, I'm ok with it. We'll have to get used to doing things in this manner. Although it would be nice to be able to get excited about signings such as this one from Sheff U.

The question for me is,  in what situation would we spend £22m on a player?

42 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

They have definitely done far far far better than us without doing a Villa or a Fulham... Shows what can be done with sensible investment

This ^^ , very good signings and good management , you have to admit... That's why I'm so sad about our predicament... I think it could have been different, just some investment in the squad without throwing the bank at it...

• Like 1