Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

64% of Pinkun readers want Ryan Bennett back...

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

We told him early May that we were releasing him, he was shocked and upset by this. 

He then signed for Wolves late May. And we signed Franke and Hanley for £2.5m each, neither of whom are as good. We also extended Russell Martin's contract. 

I doubt Hanley's wages were any lower than Bennett's, having come from Newcastle! 

Releasing Ryan Bennett without at least offering him something was a mistake in my opinion. 

I agree,  I thought at the  time 'wtf'  !! Hes no world beater but a  decent enough  top 26 squad player.  My Ajax mate was surprised enough to message me about it when it happened.  Ryben  has done ok too since he left us, though I can understand why wolves would want to move him on as they have loftier ambitions than his ability can deal with. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

We told him early May that we were releasing him, he was shocked and upset by this. 

He then signed for Wolves late May. And we signed Franke and Hanley for £2.5m each, neither of whom are as good. We also extended Russell Martin's contract. 

I doubt Hanley's wages were any lower than Bennett's, having come from Newcastle! 

Releasing Ryan Bennett without at least offering him something was a mistake in my opinion. 

But most Norwich fans on here and twitter seemed to celebrate his departure at the time, so is a pink'un U-turn?  

I wasn’t too upset at the time.

and you’re right. Turns out we chose not to take up a 1 year option on him too.

None of our centrebacks are that great with the ball (Klose probably has a few more ideas than the others) but neither is Bennett.

No obvious gain.

• Like 1

I would also add that the Wolves system has suited him, often with Coady one side of him and Doherty the other. His role is fairly limited.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GJP said:

I would also add that the Wolves system has suited him, often with Coady one side of him and Doherty the other. His role is fairly limited.

This is the biggest thing for me. Hes not an upgrade on our best CB pairing in my opinion, and playing with 2 other cbs in a back 5 enabled him to do his bit of getting in the way and heading out in any direction without really having to improve his reading, positional or distribution 

40 minutes ago, GJP said:

None of our centrebacks are that great with the ball (Klose probably has a few more ideas than the others) but neither is Bennett.

Zimmermann is actually a very good passer of the ball, as is Godfrey. Klose too - and Hanley is a good defender.  If Bennett came back to Norwich he'd be fifth choice.

17 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Someone should appreciate the abilities of the other players we have a bit more.

Oh I appreciate them. But to say they are, in your words “intelligent, ball playing, good passer of the ball at CB.” Is absolute nonsense as per usual, it’s Like saying Darren Huckerby was a great header of the ball

Edited by JF
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

His contract had expired and he wasn't offered a new one, he signed for Wolves as a free agent. 

Ah fair enough, I’ve got myself muddled somewhere along the line. 

In any event I can’t see it happening anyway.

I think it's more '64% of Pinkun readers would like to sign a CB and Bennett is familiar, available and the subject of a Pinkun poll'

47 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Zimmermann is actually a very good passer of the ball, as is Godfrey. Klose too - and Hanley is a good defender.  If Bennett came back to Norwich he'd be fifth choice.

Well that's why I used the word "great".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Nooooooooooo!!  Does not fit the model in the slightest.  The model, in case some people are not aware, is for an intelligent, ball playing, good passer of the ball at CB.  Bennett is a good player, always has been, but does not fit that model.

Worked ok in a wolves team that also likes ball playing centre backs 

We need a central defender. Bennett has done well since he left and probably had more success /experience in the Prem than any of our centre backs. 

Had a brilliant game in our win at Spurs a few years back and pushed that Arsenal player in the pit. Legend. 

41 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

I think it's more '64% of Pinkun readers would like to sign a CB and Bennett is familiar, available and the subject of a Pinkun poll'

You might be right there! 

Would still be a bit weird if it did happen. 

I wouldn't be against though, he's almost identical to Zimmermann as a player in my eyes. He'd be a decent squad player. 

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

I think he'd be comfortably above Hanley and two of the others are injured. 

I'd do a loan with option to purchase, give him a go and see if he fits in with our style. 

As others have said he did well in a Wolves side which played good football last season. 

4 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Just trying to take that in really. 

Does this mean we haven't really made all that much progress?

What about 'the project'? 

We get people on here say we've got our best ever squad, and that we've got 3 X £30m defenders, and that we're going to pull off an Auxerre.

But two thirds of you also believe that a player we released 3 years ago, who struggled to ever nail down a place in the side, who was relegated twice with us, would improve us? 

I voted 'yes' by the way, I always thought he was decent and we could do with a homegrown centre back.

Still a pretty damning indictment of our business though, or at least delusion levels, if fans want us going back there! 

Howson too? I'd vote yes to him!

Huge assumption that only NCFC fans voted, it was a web based poll........

2 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Huge assumption that only NCFC fans voted, it was a web based poll........

I actually said Pink'un readers, the poll was embedded on a page on the Pink'un website. 

4 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Does this mean we haven't really made all that much progress?

What about 'the project'? 

A good question. I think we also have to take into account not just our progress, but RyBen’s progress too. Since leaving, he’s won the Championship and then been a fairly regular part of a side which has been rightly lauded. When he left I didn’t think we were missing out on much, but he’s absolutely proved me wrong.

i do think, regardless of his past, he’s a better option than what we’ve got now and for that reason I’d be happy to see him sign. 

To be Honest he might get another club in the PL take him or a club top of the championship that is coming up this season ,

he is English so a club like Sheff utd or Burnley might take him as a Squad player as he does not fill up a Foreign space 

I've always rated him but not sure what level he is now ,but really happy with Zimmerman and Hanley ,Hanley has improved immensely since he came back from injury ,Godfrey should have a run in the side as cdm.

I doubt he would want to come back after how we treated him. It’s not a nice feeling being told you aren’t required.

I always thought he was decent, and it just didn’t work out here for whatever reason. I’d probably have him in over Zimmerman, Klose and Hanley to be honest.

Zimmerman, Godfrey, Bennett and a younger promising cb (and/or one of Klose and Hanley) would be very decent in the championship.

I wouldn’t go for him as a direct replacement forGodfrey though if he leaves in the summer. 

was a mistake to release him I think unless he was after like £50k a week.

Only reason I'd have him back would be because Klose is still crocked and we could do with the cover, wouldn't want it to be much more than a loan or a nominal fee.

Without trawling through this - is there any chance he is coming back then? What triggered this poll?  One line answers will be welcome 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

3 hours ago, Making Plans said:

He's off to Leicester.

Well that says a lot, not good enough for us, according  to some, but good enough for Leicester  Hmmm.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Well that says a lot, not good enough for us, according  to some, but good enough for Leicester  Hmmm.

Ah but he doesn't fit the model

• Haha 1