Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

64% of Pinkun readers want Ryan Bennett back...

Just trying to take that in really. 

Does this mean we haven't really made all that much progress?

What about 'the project'? 

We get people on here say we've got our best ever squad, and that we've got 3 X £30m defenders, and that we're going to pull off an Auxerre.

But two thirds of you also believe that a player we released 3 years ago, who struggled to ever nail down a place in the side, who was relegated twice with us, would improve us? 

I voted 'yes' by the way, I always thought he was decent and we could do with a homegrown centre back.

Still a pretty damning indictment of our business though, or at least delusion levels, if fans want us going back there! 

Howson too? I'd vote yes to him!

I think he played most games last season in a decent Wolves defence.

I didn't take part in the poll, but if there is a deal to be had, I think we could do a lot worse!

The return of Ryben as he was called by a poster on here. Not for me. Time to move on.

Just now, Gordon Bennett said:

I think the key point is that Bennett has improved, and is therefore arguably better than what we have. He was after all moved on to cut costs. 

I think he's exactly the same player, I was surprised when the decision was made to release him and yet give Russell Martin a contract extension.

I used to rate him but quite a few people on here vehemently despised him. 

Which of our centre backs is he better than? 

3 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

I think the key point is that Bennett has improved, and is therefore arguably better than what we have. He was after all moved on to cut costs. 

He wasn't offered a contract with reduced terms like Tettey, he was very surprised to be told he wasn't going to be offered anything. 

So Webber must not have fancied him. 

Did releasing Bennett and signing Franke for £2.5m save us money? 

Would be a very good signing for all parties involved. We desperately need to strengthen the defence and he is a definite upgrade there, now with PL experience. And the player himself still lives in the area and his family are settled here 

12 minutes ago, JF said:

now with PL experience

He had played 61 games in the Premier League when we released him. 

Although I would have him back, as I rate him as at least a decent Championship centre back, it would have to go down as an appalling piece of business if the asking price stated is accurate and we did do it. Webber unlikely to do this as a result? 

Release a 27 year old Ryan Bennett who would have had resale value if we extended his deal, replace him with Franke for £2.5m who wasn't very good and we almost certainly made a big loss on, then rebuy a 30 year old Ryan Bennett at a price of £5m so he can see out the last few years of his career but not be worth anything within a couple of years. 

I wouldn't be against Ryan Bennett but it would be a bit of an embarressing U-turn and would make people who talk about an imaginary 'model' look a bit silly (I guess they are the 36 percenters in this referendum?). 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

I can’t agree that he’s exactly the same player, wouldn’t have stayed in the Wolves team if he was. I’d say he’s better than our two current incumbents but not an upgrade on Godfrey but it’s all subjective. 

Word on the street is that he was a high earner and although I can’t recall probably had a few years left on his deal so no surprise that he and one or two others were moved on. If he cane in on a four month loan I think it would improve the squad but that’s just my opinion. 

I don’t see it as an embarrassing U-turn, he simply had to be released to balance the books and if we signed him again it’s because we have been promoted. No need to over complicate things. 

Edited by Gordon Bennett

Ryan Bennett has just undoubtedly had his best 3 years in football. I don’t find the poll that surprising.

Iwas also under the assumption he was on high wages and we were cutting costs at the time.

I was both not to fussed so see him leave and wouldn’t be against him coming back if it was deemed the right move by Farke/Webber

Nooooooooooo!!  Does not fit the model in the slightest.  The model, in case some people are not aware, is for an intelligent, ball playing, good passer of the ball at CB.  Bennett is a good player, always has been, but does not fit that model.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Nooooooooooo!!  Does not fit the model in the slightest.  The model, in case some people are not aware, is for an intelligent, ball playing, good passer of the ball at CB.  Bennett is a good player, always has been, but does not fit that model.

Someone should make our other centre backs other than Godfrey aware of this

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

So people voted 'Yes' but meant 'No' for fun? 

Who cares? Like I said it was a poll.

Also worth remembering the flaws of polls. Much more likely to engage with the poll if you’re likely to vote yes rather than no

21 minutes ago, JF said:

Someone should make our other centre backs other than Godfrey aware of this

Ummm... Do you actually watch us play, like, ever?

Zimbo often strolls out from the back with the ball, he can pass too. So can Hanley. Or have these patently obvious facts somehow escaped you?

2 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Zimbo often strolls out from the back with the ball, he can pass too. So can Hanley. Or have these patently obvious facts somehow escaped you?

Genuinely giggling to myself at this. Hanley has many fine qualities no doubt, but a ball playing centre back he ain't. His passing range consists of a few feet sideways or row Z, with not a lot in between.

As to Ryan Bennett, we reportedly paid £3.2 million for him back in 2012, which still makes him more expensive than most of our current squad. And it's not like transfer fees have been going down in the last 8 years either. Puts into perspective the wonders that have been worked on such a shoe string budget these last couple of years.

12 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

If you think that Hanley and Zimmermann are ball playing centre backs then you’ve set the bar pretty low for the criteria. They may well try to pass it out but they are no where near as competent as Godfrey is at playing the ball, and are not what would be called ball playing centre backs

Edited by JF

15 minutes ago, Peanuts said:

Genuinely giggling to myself at this. Hanley has many fine qualities no doubt, but a ball playing centre back he ain't. His passing range consists of a few feet sideways or row Z, with not a lot in between.

As to Ryan Bennett, we reportedly paid £3.2 million for him back in 2012, which still makes him more expensive than most of our current squad. And it's not like transfer fees have been going down in the last 8 years either. Puts into perspective the wonders that have been worked on such a shoe string budget these last couple of years.

Hanley can pass. Maybe not a "ball playing CB" but he hasn't done too badly deputising for Godfrey. In fact, his defensive abilities are probably better.

As we all know, Godfrey was a CDM (some people still think we should play him in that position!) So it's only natural that passing would be a strong point. I certainly miss not having him in the side as he can spray a great diagonal. But i think it's unfair to the other two to say they can't pass. If not Hanley in your opinion then at least admit Zimbo can! 🙂

1 hour ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Word on the street is that he was a high earner and although I can’t recall probably had a few years left on his deal.

His contract had expired and he wasn't offered a new one, he signed for Wolves as a free agent. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

His contract had expired and he wasn't offered a new one, he signed for Wolves as a free agent. 

But wouldn’t he have been able to speak to teams from January that year? 

Surely even if Webber had wanted different his agent would have known what other interest was out there. I imagine Wolves were paying him a fair amount and a possible signing on bonus too?

Edited by Hillhead

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Grant Hanley hardly pinging the ball around like Maldini is he, does he fit the model? 

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

So people voted 'Yes' but meant 'No' for fun? 

Is this the right thread for an argument?

10 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Hanley can pass. Maybe not a "ball playing CB" but he hasn't done too badly deputising for Godfrey. In fact, his defensive abilities are probably better.

As we all know, Godfrey was a CDM (some people still think we should play him in that position!) So it's only natural that passing would be a strong point. I certainly miss not having him in the side as he can spray a great diagonal. But i think it's unfair to the other two to say they can't pass. If not Hanley in your opinion then at least admit Zimbo can! 🙂

Not saying he can't pass but every time Zimbo comes out with the ball and a pass is not immediately on, watch him, he panics, flaps,  not that comfortable on the ball really. 

Depending on the terms  , as suggested above, a short term loan till season ends  because  we do need a n other centre half  as the chances of both godfrey and klose having a trouble free re introduction to playing are quite  slim. We can look at all again once the season ends.

So it's a yes but ,from me.

8 minutes ago, Hillhead said:

But wouldn’t he have been able to speak to teams from January that year? 

surely even if Webber had wanted different his agent would have known what other interest was out there. I imagine Wolves were lying him a fair amount and possible signing on bonus too?

We told him early May that we were releasing him, he was shocked and upset by this. 

He then signed for Wolves late May. And we signed Franke and Hanley for £2.5m each, neither of whom are as good. We also extended Russell Martin's contract. 

I doubt Hanley's wages were any lower than Bennett's, having come from Newcastle! 

Releasing Ryan Bennett without at least offering him something was a mistake in my opinion. 

But most Norwich fans on here and twitter seemed to celebrate his departure at the time, so is a pink'un U-turn?  

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

i would have him back , i always liked him a good Stopper which we have missed , Bennett to play as a stopper doing the Dirty work and going for the Aerial balls and play the  ball to a ball playing CB next to him to pass the ball about ,

He has Grit and a bit of Steel about him for the championship he would be Good 

Also he has improved by staying in a Wolves team and Playing in the EPL

1 minute ago, norfolkngood said:

i would have him back , i always liked him a good Stopper which we have missed.

Also he has improved by staying in a Wolves team and Playing in the EPL

I'd have him back too, but he did four years in the EPL with us!