Sign in to follow this  
vlad666

Bid for a left back.

8 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Oh sarcasm! You definitely need practice at it though. 

I’ll work on my sarcasm if you work on your trolling?

7 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Funny how we have the money for this though... makes me wonder why more wasn't done in summer.

As you said, it's hardly a substantial amount of money in the scheme of things, is it? 

We know we had more money available in the summer as moves for that lad from Motherwell and the French lad both didn't happen. 

I think the summer business we did covered the positions we needed (except for a defender) but have just proven themselves to be poor signings. 

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

As you said, it's hardly a substantial amount of money in the scheme of things, is it? 

We know we had more money available in the summer as moves for that lad from Motherwell and the French lad both didn't happen. 

I think the summer business we did covered the positions we needed (except for a defender) but have just proven themselves to be poor signings. 

* except Sam Byram who was a superb signing. 

6 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

* except Sam Byram who was a superb signing. 

Except Byram who has proven to be excellent business. I also think Drmic could yet prove to be a good signing.

9 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Except Byram who has proven to be excellent business. I also think Drmic could yet prove to be a good signing.

Yes - there's certainly a talented player in there if he can stay fit. 

23 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Yes - there's certainly a talented player in there if he can stay fit. 

Not if you read/believed a load of the comments in the Burnley match thread!

Hopefully this young lad McCallum will work out Maddison-like, £3.5m is quite a hefty fee so he must be highly thought of.  We do seem to be signing a lot for the future - I did wonder if some of that cash might’ve been better used on the here-and-now, given where we are?! 

Edited by Branston Pickle

7 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Not if you read/believed a load of the comments in the Burnley match thread!

Hopefully this young lad McCallum will work out Maddison-like, £3.5m is quite a hefty fee so he must be highly thought of.  We do seem to be signing a lot for the future - I did wonder if some of that cash might’ve been better used on the here-and-now, given where we are?! 

It isn't £3.5m

Reports suggests its £1m upfront with incentives taking it to about £3m- I assume most of these will be based around being in the Premier League.

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

It isn't £3.5m

Reports suggests its £1m upfront with incentives taking it to about £3m- I assume most of these will be based around being in the Premier League.

It doesn’t matter what the figure is, that wasn’t really the point. 

12 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It doesn’t matter what the figure is, that wasn’t really the point. 

It kind of is though.

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

It kind of is though.

I think I know the point I was making better than you, thanks all the same!

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I think I know the point I was making better than you, thanks all the same!

You were saying that money could have been used for a player to help 'here and now.' I think how much money is pretty relevent to that point.

Could we have got a player to help us here and now for £3.5m? Maybe. For £1m? Unlikely.

• Like 1

Yup, you’ve rather missed the general point but never mind. You’re obviously right, it couldn’t possibly be beneficial to do all we can to stay up.

Pleased with this signing! Can't remember who now but he was being really bigged up on another site not too long ago.

17 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I like seeing us make these kind of signings and it appears to make perfect sense in terms of covering our bases and preparing for next season and possible sales in the summer. I know why we are doing this and on the one hand i'm very pleased to see that there is definitely a plan being put in action here with this kid, Sitti and possibly Sinani. They all seem to suggest that we will already have reasonable cover if one of Emi/Todd and Tettey and Aarons/Lewis were to be sold before we even start spending the riches we will have.

On the other hand though I just wish we'd put as much effort into staying in this division in the summer window as we appear to be doing to preparing to try and get back up again in this one!

100% Jim.. spot on... 

I must admit it is all very confusing but maybe will all come together at the end of the season. Ignoring that Duda is on loan, these January signings all appear to be for next season. So when did the club start planning for that?

I know they cannot reveal every intention but it is confusing for supporters when no money was spent in the summer yet more has been spent for next season, or so it appears.

It isn't our business to know the finances as such but surely someone could say whether it was a group decision or just the board. 

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I must admit it is all very confusing but maybe will all come together at the end of the season. Ignoring that Duda is on loan, these January signings all appear to be for next season. So when did the club start planning for that?

I know they cannot reveal every intention but it is confusing for supporters when no money was spent in the summer yet more has been spent for next season, or so it appears.

It isn't our business to know the finances as such but surely someone could say whether it was a group decision or just the board. 

It is odd that we're generally much more excited about signings for next season than this season but here we are.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

You were saying that money could have been used for a player to help 'here and now.' I think how much money is pretty relevent to that point.

Could we have got a player to help us here and now for £3.5m? Maybe. For £1m? Unlikely.

Even then that’s a big ask to sign an older player for 3.5m and expect him to make a difference for us this season. It could happen but unlikely imo. Who would you sign for that and what position?

I do think this is a wise use of funds and while it won’t help us in the short term is also certain to benefit us in the long run

41 minutes ago, king canary said:

It is odd that we're generally much more excited about signings for next season than this season but here we are.

Yep... Almost as though this season was an unexpected holiday from our "proper" position in life...