Sign in to follow this  
vlad666

Bid for a left back.

For a club that doesn't like to do business in January (although I guess everyone says that),  we seem very busy.

Interesting to see if he's joining now or the summer.

This would hopefully leave us covered if Aarons and Lewis both leave in the summer- Byram and McCallum stepping up.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Interesting to see if he's joining now or the summer.

This would hopefully leave us covered if Aarons and Lewis both leave in the summer- Byram and McCallum stepping up.

Being loaned back for the season apparently. 

Good bit of business if true.

Exactly what the focus of the January window should be, getting the jump on transfers for the summer before the competition.

• Like 1

If we really have bid  £3 million, surely that's hard for Coventry to resist? 

And why don't we sign their scouts too? They seem to be able to spot a player.

1 minute ago, Icecream Snow said:

Sam McCallum, 19, left back for around £3 million. Wonder what that means for Jamal ?

The sales pitch will probably be "We have an excellent 22 year old international left back who is already experienced at a very high level. He will probably leave for a lot of money within two years. When he leaves, you will fill his boots."

• Like 1

With this deal in the making and Coventry apparently accepting city’s second bid, it looks very feasible that Aaron’s and Lewis could leave us in the summer, Byram to RB and new lad in at LB perhaps.

• Like 1

I guess we’ve done as much as we thought we’d do in many respects, and ‘ones for the future’ are always good to get, but when you look at our current position, it’s hard to fully justify any suggestion that we couldn’t improve in most areas.  

When you look at any window it’s a case of ‘are we stronger than at the start’ which as things stand is ‘probably’, with Duda and Rupp in, Heise and Sebeny out.  But still with nothing necessarily in that elusive big cdm role if Amadou is to leave (unless Rupp is that role - tbh he seems to be earmarked for everywhere!).

Edited by Branston Pickle

18 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

If we really have bid  £3 million, surely that's hard for Coventry to resist? 

And why don't we sign their scouts too? They seem to be able to spot a player.

Funnily enough, when Webber first came he appointed Keiran Scott for the UK and Chris Badlan did the European scouting

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/head-recruitment-coventry-citys-real-15931089

I assume Coventry could be cash strapped. They are doing well in L1 so could be in the same division as us next season.

I'm not sure apart from the Duda loan whether we are really buying to stay up or already planning for the future. With the type of money we have to spend, I think January is too late to look for players to keep us up.

I am happy with the forward planning if this is the case. 

35 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

For a club that doesn't like to do business in January (although I guess everyone says that),  we seem very busy.

The objection is that if you're in desperate need of players for the second half of the season, especially to try to stay up, then you end up paying way over the odds. The only signing remotely like that so far there is Duda and he is on loan. The others are all in effect aimed at next season, with the assumption built in that we will be in the Championship.

I like seeing us make these kind of signings and it appears to make perfect sense in terms of covering our bases and preparing for next season and possible sales in the summer. I know why we are doing this and on the one hand i'm very pleased to see that there is definitely a plan being put in action here with this kid, Sitti and possibly Sinani. They all seem to suggest that we will already have reasonable cover if one of Emi/Todd and Tettey and Aarons/Lewis were to be sold before we even start spending the riches we will have.

On the other hand though I just wish we'd put as much effort into staying in this division in the summer window as we appear to be doing to preparing to try and get back up again in this one!

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I like seeing us make these kind of signings and it appears to make perfect sense in terms of covering our bases and preparing for next season and possible sales in the summer. I know why we are doing this and on the one hand i'm very pleased to see that there is definitely a plan being put in action here with this kid, Sitti and possibly Sinani. They all seem to suggest that we will already have reasonable cover if one of Emi/Todd and Tettey and Aarons/Lewis were to be sold before we even start spending the riches we will have.

On the other hand though I just wish we'd put as much effort into staying in this division in the summer window as we appear to be doing to preparing to try and get back up again in this one!

You just couldn't resist, could you Jim? All you had to do was stop at the end of the first paragraph, but no...

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

You just couldn't resist, could you Jim? All you had to do was stop at the end of the first paragraph, but no...

Please gawd let Jim not see the news that Sheffield United have broken their transfer record AGAIN...

3 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Please gawd let Jim not see the news that Sheffield United have broken their transfer record AGAIN...

Well, if he hadn’t seen it before, he has now!

5 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I assume Coventry could be cash strapped. They are doing well in L1 so could be in the same division as us next season.

I'm not sure apart from the Duda loan whether we are really buying to stay up or already planning for the future. With the type of money we have to spend, I think January is too late to look for players to keep us up.

I am happy with the forward planning if this is the case. 

We’re hoping to stay up but definitely planning for the Championship. 

50 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

We’re hoping to stay up but definitely planning for the Championship. 

In other news, the Pope has turned out to be a Catholic.

• Haha 1

David Ornstein the Arsenal journo now claims it's done... £3m and loaned back.

Looks like another outstanding bit of business for basically **** all money when you see some of the fees floating around for similar talent.

Surely we're preparing for Lewis to depart in summer then, even if we somehow turn it around and survive.

Funny how we have the money for this though... makes me wonder why more wasn't done in summer.

7 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

David Ornstein the Arsenal journo now claims it's done... £3m and loaned back.

Here's the tweet so people don't have to google around.

image.png.d6a26b1ddca37ce061e196304b5ff1a6.png

• Like 1

Quite a few clubs interested apparently, so let’s hope this is correct - not just Liverpool monitoring his progress, but Paris St Germain too. Must admit, I find our transfer business a lot more interesting these days than back in the times of Steven Naismith and others who’s names we’d nearly always had heard of previously. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Quite a few clubs interested apparently, so let’s hope this is correct - not just Liverpool monitoring his progress, but Paris St Germain too. Must admit, I find our transfer business a lot more interesting these days than back in the times of Steven Naismith and others who’s names we’d nearly always had heard of previously. 

We literally bought Maddison and Godfrey in the same month that we got Naismith