Having just read the story on the Pink Un that he might be allowed to leave on loan, I'm wondering just what went wrong with a player who at one point looked the natural successor to James Maddison to a player who now can't get a look in? 

2 minutes ago, Number9 said:

I think he expressed his thoughts to Herr Farke after the Brighton game. 🤭

Yes, I've heard similar stories and rumours. I guess we likely won't ever know the real story!

Looked good at times but was not consistent enough... no doubt he'll be cast as a bad apple (ala Pritchard / Howson) by lots on here, when no one will ever really know.

He's never entirely convinced me. I think in games where it's going well (like Newcastle at home this season) he's looked very good doing simple, short passes. But in a tougher, more battling situation he's just looked lightweight and not particularly creative. Coupled with his small stature, he has no pace and offers little goal threat. I'd always rather see Vrancic in the team over him; I haven't yet seen enough of Rupp to see whether he offers more, but at this point I think Leitner isn't really what we need.

Edited by Grando
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The fact he's never played more than 40 odd games for one club at the age of 27 is quite a telling statistic. I'd agree that he potentially thinks he's better than he is and is not one to particularly knuckle down when the going gets tough / he has to fight for his place. Expect him to go back to Germany and play for a club like Mainz or FC Koln. Shame, obviously has the technical ability. 

It's a shame, lots of promise and potential but between injuries and the form of others he's never properly got going.

Can't help but feel a spark of possibility that this coming so late might mean someone to take a foreign spot in the squad...

13 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

It's a shame, lots of promise and potential but between injuries and the form of others he's never properly got going.

Can't help but feel a spark of possibility that this coming so late might mean someone to take a foreign spot in the squad...

It's 13 games left after Saturday, so I'm not sure if they have someone lined up or are just looking to save money by getting rid of Amadou and Leitner.

Alternatively they might think Leitner is a bad influence, there were a lot of comments that the other German  players didn't look like they wanted to play with him during the Preston game, and he didn't make the squad for the Burnley game.

3 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

It's 13 games left after Saturday, so I'm not sure if they have someone lined up or are just looking to save money by getting rid of Amadou and Leitner.

Alternatively they might think Leitner is a bad influence, there were a lot of comments that the other German  players didn't look like they wanted to play with him during the Preston game, and he didn't make the squad for the Burnley game.

Head agrees with this. Heart naturally wants a surprise exotic forward on loan, and isn't for listening to reason until the deadline passes.

• Haha 1

His career seems to have followed a pattern of getting frozen out and not sticking in places- Lazio and Ausburg each sold him with less than 10 league starts.

Seems too lightweight for me easily shrugged off the ball ,great passing ability at times but similar too vrancic but vrancic is better ,so probably for the best.

Massively over rated by Pinkun posters for the duration of his time here. 

He has never been a particular well rounded player... Can't tackle, can't score, lacks core strength, and although capable of dictating tempo (which does require footballing intelligence) he didn't always set the tempo at the right level! 

All top centre mids can do a bit of everything. Leitner is limited like David Fox.

Also a bit sulky and aloof. 

Although I've enjoyed having him here and was worth the £1.5m we paid, enjoyable watching him play the triangles sometimes in the right game. 

Good luck to the the chap though. 

• Thanks 1

I thought he was unlucky with injuries during his time here and was never in the team on a consistent basis last season to warrant selection.

I also reckoned he was ripe for the Prem and put a lot of faith in him dictating our midfield. Just hasn't worked out.

No one can say for sure whether he's aloof or not without having met him, so I'll keep the personality assessments to one side as pure rumour. Just got to think if, at your work, someone doesn't really contribute to the team ethic then they become more of a burden than a help, so the same goes here.

• Like 1

Just now, TIL 1010 said:

I will miss his wife. 😜

I can’t remember what she looks like 🤔

3 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

🎣

Maybe it was not JF doing the fishing and of course you could not resist taking the bait wcorkio.

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

Maybe it was not JF doing the fishing and of course you could not resist taking the bait wcorkio.

Evening all.I was pointing out to him that's exactly what you were doing.  It's called Angling by the way. 😉

At times I have watched Leitner and thought he was a beautiful graceful classy player, maybe he is, but his end product is poor

Doesnt score many,rarely looks like scoring when he plays, and doesnt get many assists. Didnt he go a long time without any assists even in the champs?

Hes a luxury player and we can not afford luxuries

46 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

mo.und.lisa.leitner

Suitably  dressed I see , for the time of year. None of her in the summer? or better still  , on holiday,( not a skiing  holiday)😉

👍👍👍

4 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Massively over rated by Pinkun posters for the duration of his time here. 

He has never been a particular well rounded player... Can't tackle, can't score, lacks core strength, and although capable of dictating tempo (which does require footballing intelligence) he didn't always set the tempo at the right level! 

All top centre mids can do a bit of everything. Leitner is limited like David Fox.

Also a bit sulky and aloof. 

Although I've enjoyed having him here and was worth the £1.5m we paid, enjoyable watching him play the triangles sometimes in the right game. 

Good luck to the the chap though. 

100% although I can't say I enjoyed having him here because of his inefficiencies!

I got p*ssed of with many fans who made Leitner out to be the new Martin Peters which was so far from the truth!

Bottom line is we signed Leitner cause like many other of our Foriegners he was cheap, injury prone and had a very unconvincing career before coming to us!

16 minutes ago, kingsway said:

Bottom line is we signed Leitner cause like many other of our Foriegners he was cheap, injury prone and had a very unconvincing career before coming to us!

That seems unfair to me. I think he was signed off the back of a very decent loan spell. Unfortunately, he’s never quite hit those same heights since that injury he had. 

Without doubt there’s a great player in there. Sadly I don’t think we’re going to see it. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

That seems unfair to me. I think he was signed off the back of a very decent loan spell. Unfortunately, he’s never quite hit those same heights since that injury he had. 

Without doubt there’s a great player in there. Sadly I don’t think we’re going to see it. 

Not unfair at all I think!

I've no doubt that technically Leitners very good but the lack of pace, strength, tackling ability and a suspect attitude renders his undoubted ball skills obsolete.

His career stats are indeed very unconvincing, a player with his technical ability should have played more games then what he has at his age and not moved around so much, - tell tale signs! 

Edited by kingsway

I remember someone, probably Bethnal, saying how the other German players were excited about him signing and couldn’t quite believe it. Sad really that his promise has never been fulfilled. One of Farke’s few failures.