Jump to content
TIL 1010

TWTD Having Yet Another Meltdown.

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, kick it off said:

The Solidarnosc museum is an excellent visit if you ever find yourself in Gdansk - really brings to light what life was like under Soviet rule.

I went to school in Prague from 1972-76 so know exactly what it was like, having dual Nationality meant we moved back to the uk in 1976. There’s an excellent communist museum ne’er the new shopping centre in Prague, that’s good too. I’m planning a trip to Poland in a couple years, appreciate the info.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Indy said:

I went to school in Prague from 1972-76 so know exactly what it was like, having dual Nationality meant we moved back to the uk in 1976. There’s an excellent communist museum ne’er the new shopping centre in Prague, that’s good too. I’m planning a trip to Poland in a couple years, appreciate the info.

I am not defending the Soviet rule over those countries of central and eastern europe, but that mini-empire was its reward for playing the major role in defeating Hitler, and was in effect a buffer zone for a country without natural borders that over the centuries had suffered invasion after invasion.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I am not defending the Soviet rule over those countries of central and eastern europe, but that mini-empire was its reward for playing the major role in defeating Hitler, and was in effect a buffer zone for a country without natural borders that over the centuries had suffered invasion after invasion.

 

That’s very true Purple, nothing to be had by another war at the time, although some American generals wanted to!

Edited by Indy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blimey i have seen a lot of threads taken entirely off topic but this one is right up there.

Not looked but is the TWTD meltdown still taking place ?

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back on topic, if the scum drop 5 more points over the rest of season then they’ll fail to match or beat our league one points total

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Blimey i have seen a lot of threads taken entirely off topic but this one is right up there.

Not looked but is the TWTD still taking place ?

Nope still on topic talking history! 😉

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Indy said:

I went to school in Prague from 1972-76 so know exactly what it was like, having dual Nationality meant we moved back to the uk in 1976. There’s an excellent communist museum ne’er the new shopping centre in Prague, that’s good too. I’m planning a trip to Poland in a couple years, appreciate the info.

An astonishing record (not to say, shocking) is accounted in the Uprising Museum in Warsaw. Not quite all about the Soviet occupation but certainly linked. It holds no bars. There is one 3D glasses virtual flight over postwar Warsaw showing the absolute devastation by the occupation. Also, there are memorials all over the city. Worth going for other reasons too of course, but architecturally speaking, it's worth it for the huge central civic building built by the Soviets in the mid 50s. 

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kick it off said:

It's not a card, it's just the fact that nobody else cares where the players come from, whereas you're clearly a racist **** who does. No further discussion needed.

KIO  Far from a racist 2 of my best friends who used my shop daily and who I went out with on a regular basis were both from IPSWICH, BOTH BLACK and NCFC players namely Ruel Fox and Louie Donowa both lovely lads. You don’t know me but like most of the liberals on this forum unless you mention Blacks, members of the LGBT then you are considered resist. It really pisses me off

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, daly said:

KIO  Far from a racist 2 of my best friends who used my shop daily and who I went out with on a regular basis were both from IPSWICH, BOTH BLACK and NCFC players namely Ruel Fox and Louie Donowa both lovely lads. You don’t know me but like most of the liberals on this forum unless you mention Blacks, members of the LGBT then you are considered resist. It really pisses me off

You're considered racist when you start making comments about the good old days when British teams were made up of Brits and none of these foreigners.

You made the comments, not me, grow up and own them, and don't try to deflect your racism as being my fault.

Edited by kick it off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kick it off said:

Yep, they also charged Poland for renting the planes, food and lodging for the pilots and raided polish gold reserves to claim it back. £100 million was the cost to Poland for helping to save Britain. Then we were betrayed and sold to Stalin who was scarcely better than Hitler. Shameful the way the pilots and Poland in general was treated.

Britain should hang its head in shame. Still known in Poland as The Great Betrayal 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KIO  You must be a bundle of fun watching old re-runs on TV like Fawlty Towers with the Major ranting on about cricket nations and Alf Garnetts spates with his Black neighbour You would probably have a heart attack if you had to watch the Black and White Minstrels     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, daly said:

KIO  You must be a bundle of fun watching old re-runs on TV like Fawlty Towers with the Major ranting on about cricket nations and Alf Garnetts spates with his Black neighbour You would probably have a heart attack if you had to watch the Black and White Minstrels     

............and.......... we're back on to history. The whole point of The Major in Fawlty Towers, and of Alf Garnett was that it was showing how ridiculous people who held/hold those views are. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, daly said:

KIO  You must be a bundle of fun watching old re-runs on TV like Fawlty Towers with the Major ranting on about cricket nations and Alf Garnetts spates with his Black neighbour You would probably have a heart attack if you had to watch the Black and White Minstrels     

There's a reason it's all outdated **** that is consigned to history, where it belongs.... Much like your views. Not really much else to say on the topic.

PS If you think watching re-runs of 50 year old TV shows is "bundles of fun" then that's your bag, but can't say I have any interest.

Edited by kick it off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kick it off said:

There's a reason it's all outdated **** that is consigned to history, where it belongs.... Much like your views. Not really much else to say on the topic.

PS If you think watching re-runs of 50 year old TV shows is "bundles of fun" then that's your bag, but can't say I have any interest.

Yes but viewed in context of that time Fawlty Towers, the Goodies, George & Mildred, Bless this house etc. were funny and still are as long as you don’t try to install today’s ethical values.....not saying we should go back by any means but not condemn it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Indy said:

Yes but viewed in context of that time Fawlty Towers, the Goodies, George & Mildred, Bless this house etc. were funny and still are as long as you don’t try to install today’s ethical values.....not saying we should go back by any means but not condemn it.

Like I say, it's part of history - I don't condemn it because it was a different time, but I have to say - when I have watched it, I don't find it the remotest bit funny. Not because I'm viewing it through any particular lense (at least not consciously) but it just doesn't appeal to my sense of humour. I just watch it thinking that I'm glad to have grown up in a world with more then 4 TV channels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Like I say, it's part of history - I don't condemn it because it was a different time, but I have to say - when I have watched it, I don't find it the remotest bit funny. Not because I'm viewing it through any particular lense (at least not consciously) but it just doesn't appeal to my sense of humour. I just watch it thinking that I'm glad to have grown up in a world with more then 4 TV channels.

That’s fair enough, those of us who grew up with Monty Python, are of different humour no doubt, I can’t say I like any of the American attempts at humour bar Big Bang Theory. So each to their own.

As I’ve got older I find things like Gameface and Afterlife two of my favourite comedy series although a tad dark in humour but very clever. Gervais is a bit of a genius.

Edited by Indy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Like I say, it's part of history - I don't condemn it because it was a different time, but I have to say - when I have watched it, I don't find it the remotest bit funny. Not because I'm viewing it through any particular lense (at least not consciously) but it just doesn't appeal to my sense of humour. I just watch it thinking that I'm glad to have grown up in a world with more then 4 TV channels.

So Fawlty  Towers is condemned to history??? Your blood pressure is going to go through the roof if you go to Tilly’s thread for””””” One for us Coffin Dodgers””””” the NCFC Team is made up of all white players DISGUSTING Tilly you racist 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, daly said:

So Fawlty  Towers is condemned to history??? Your blood pressure is going to go through the roof if you go to Tilly’s thread for””””” One for us Coffin Dodgers””””” the NCFC Team is made up of all white players DISGUSTING Tilly you racist 

Are you a bit simple? Resorting to whataboutery when under scrutiny?. The most ignorant racists are the one who dont know that they are one. As someone said earlier,  own what you say.  Or be big enough to reconsider .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pedantic I know but the original statement (whilst entirely of no relevance and a silly comment) is not racist. If anything, it's xenophobic, race was never mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Actually, I went to see the ‘Champions of Europe’ Nottingham Forest tonight, at Brentford....another lot not remotely shy in warbling on about their glorious past. 

I wonder what the Ipswich Vs Forest match would have been like last season ?
The entire crowd going on about the 1970s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, All the Germans said:

Pedantic I know but the original statement (whilst entirely of no relevance and a silly comment) is not racist. If anything, it's xenophobic, race was never mentioned.

True. We all know what he was getting  at  though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, All the Germans said:

Pedantic I know but the original statement (whilst entirely of no relevance and a silly comment) is not racist. If anything, it's xenophobic, race was never mentioned.

If you drew a spectrum with dyed in the wool politically correct liberals at one end and the Ku Klux klan at the other, xenophobia and racists would overlap. So yes, strictly speaking they are different, but in the scheme of things not by much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW, I always thought it was the Klu Klux klan, but it’s Ku. Every day’s a school day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, daly said:

So Fawlty  Towers is condemned to history??? Your blood pressure is going to go through the roof if you go to Tilly’s thread for””””” One for us Coffin Dodgers””””” the NCFC Team is made up of all white players DISGUSTING Tilly you racist 

Kevin Keelan was born in India . 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meanwhile, back on the football - as it stands Ipswich despite dominating the first half have just lost 1-0 at Sunderland and dropped out of the top six. Oh dear. In addition all the teams around them have at least one game in handl. I'm sure this impressive run of form must be sitting well with the Messiah's fans here and with the real Ipswich fans down the road. Maybe we won't be having an Old Farm derby next year after all 😞

 

Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 08.51.12.png

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Donny need to score and they’ll be 8th!!!

No they wouldn't be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...