TIL 1010

TWTD Having Yet Another Meltdown.

On 23/02/2020 at 12:18, TIL 1010 said:

The desperation has reached the level of suggesting Ross McCormack could do a job for them. You remember the guy who has been a miserable flop since his big money move to Villa back in 2014 and who slunk off to play for 2 Aussie sides before returning on loan to Motherwell and was bombed out last year.

I bet he can’t get over his garden fence still now he’s a little more rotund. 

Just reading that Ipswich has been named as the 14th top emerging travel destination in the world on trip advisor! Wtf!! Maybe it’s all those new league 1 fans voting for it. “Very accommodating and generously gave us 3 points, great weekend” Ken from Milton Keynes 

Edited by JF
  • Haha 2

Got a sneaky eye on their final fixture of the season- home to Russell Maritn's much improved MK Dons side featuring Carlton Morris and Louis Thompson.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JF said:

Just reading that Ipswich has been named as the 14th top emerging travel destination in the world on trip advisor! Wtf!! Maybe it’s all those new league 1 fans voting for it. “Very accommodating and generously gave us 3 points, great weekend” Ken from Milton Keynes 

Actually Ipswich has some very decent areas, particularly around the harbour. Decent shopping and night life. Not a patch on Norwich though.

Actually if you deride Ipswich as a town you deride our whole country as it is fairly typical of any medium sized town throughout England.

Would never chose to live there though,but it's the football club not the town that we should revel in any decline.

32 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Actually Ipswich has some very decent areas, particularly around the harbour. Decent shopping and night life. Not a patch on Norwich though.

Actually if you deride Ipswich as a town you deride our whole country as it is fairly typical of any medium sized town throughout England.

Would never chose to live there though,but it's the football club not the town that we should revel in any decline.

Aren’t you just a barrel of laughs... 

9 minutes ago, JF said:

Aren’t you just a barrel of laughs... 

Stupid reply to a valid point.

Grow up.

Nb.Use of second hand language. At least attempt to be original in a sensible way.

Edited by BroadstairsR

3 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Stupid reply to a valid point.

Grow up.

Nb.Use of second hand language. At least attempt to be original in a sensible way.

I’ll reply how I want. Now **** off 

• Haha 1

Just now, JF said:

I’ll reply how I want. Now **** off 

Well that sums you up quite adequately.

You don't seem a very cheerful person yourself do you?

Quote (12 hours ago.)

"Enjoy being bottom and getting regularly beaten? No thanks. There’s been a few moments of enjoyment this season but they are few and far between"

Now some more expletives please.

Ipswich (the town) is an absolute dump. I wouldn’t even use it as a car park for Norwich. It looks like a nuke went off a decade ago and they are still getting around to tidying it up.

• Haha 2

From just reading TWTD (always do it more when things are going badly for them) it seems that Lambert has few, if any, fans on his side.

The only competition for him from the critics is Evans. 

A consistent cry is that Evans should sell. Sell what? A loss making business with a massive debt and no assets but a lease and a couple of, according to them, promising youngsters. They don't even own the training ground. They seem destined for another season in L.1. Crowds will evaporate.

You couldn't think of a bigger mess.

"Pride of Anglia" .... my ****.             

59 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

From just reading TWTD (always do it more when things are going badly for them) it seems that Lambert has few, if any, fans on his side.

The only competition for him from the critics is Evans. 

A consistent cry is that Evans should sell. Sell what? A loss making business with a massive debt and no assets but a lease and a couple of, according to them, promising youngsters. They don't even own the training ground. They seem destined for another season in L.1. Crowds will evaporate.

You couldn't think of a bigger mess.

"Pride of Anglia" .... my ****.             

There is an argument that the lease on Portman Road is actually a liability because of the cost of removing stands prior to redevelopment. 

29 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

There is an argument that the lease on Portman Road is actually a liability because of the cost of removing stands prior to redevelopment.

And then there's the removal of the contaminated land underneath. 🤣

Apples

• Haha 1

They are relying on just one man with a somewhat dodgy business record to prevent them from total collapse.

Furthermore, he's a million miles away from sharing the enthusiasm for the club that our current two have.

He doesn't always attend and apparently is a West Ham supporter. He doesn't seem over-concerned at their slide.

Has anybody any idea just how he made so much money. It seems a very nefarious business being a large scale ticket tout? Are there other strings to his bow? 

Withdraw that last enquiry.

I have just been to Wiki to find out. It's all there.  Flippin' hell.

He even owns a tv company and once tried to buy the Daily Mirror.The man's a business freak, a genius.

Just serves to indicate his real lack of interest in ITFC. He is capable of transforming them overnight but doesn't seem bothered.

37 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Withdraw that last enquiry.

Just serves to indicate his real lack of interest in ITFC. He is capable of transforming them overnight but doesn't seem bothered.

No, you were right first time. He is worth about £800 million according to the Sunday Times Rich List:

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/itfc-owner-marcus-evans-fifth-on-list-of-east-anglia-s-richest-people-1-5515667

This isn't really enough to have much impact on ITFC's fortunes - as he has found out. He has already pumped in about £100 million (and rising) to see them in their current state. This, it would seem is equivalent of 12.5% of his Net Worth, which isn't a bad show of loyalty surely?

An ordinary billionaire is not in a position to transform the fortunes of a championship club anymore - you need the ability to pump in hundreds of millions in a relatively short period of time and to carry on if the ""going gets rough." As we have seen with consortiums, many fail this test after the initial injection has failed.

I'm sure you are aware, but some on here don't seem to be, that being a billionaire does not mean that you have hundreds of millions just sitting in a bank account - most of it is tied up in assets, like his businesses etc. In short, you need several billion to guarantee success as well as high liquidity and a recognition that you might need to continue pumping in the money after an initial attempt at transition fails. 

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

I'm sure you are aware, but some on here don't seem to be, that being a billionaire does not mean that you have hundreds of millions just sitting in a bank account - most of it is tied up in assets, like his businesses etc. In short, you need several billion to guarantee success as well as high liquidity and a recognition that you might need to continue pumping in the money after an initial attempt at transition fails. 

I know very little about finances but if the £800m is correct then that could explain why he's got tired of pumping £6M a year or whatever it is he's apparently losing each season with Ipswich. 

Back in 2007 his wealth made a difference in the championship. Keane and Jewell wasted it and now the money required has gone far beyond what Evans can put it in. Unless you do it how we did last season. 

Plus the fans hated him anyway, may as well run them at around break even and have them as some kind of league 1 / championship yoyo club. 

3 minutes ago, Hillhead said:

Back in 2007 his wealth made a difference in the championship. Keane and Jewell wasted it and now the money required has gone far beyond what Evans can put it in.

Yes - and the story has been repeated time and again for a variety of clubs. The desire to "do it this year" or "at all costs" overcomes any sensible medium term planning that prevents clubs from prospering.

Very often they end up with a group of aging, over-paid players that the new manager "doesn't fancy" and the "transformative injection" just ties their hands in the future, with an owner probably losing interest, and even if not, tied by FFP.

2 minutes ago, Hillhead said:

I know very little about finances but if the £800m is correct then that could explain why he's got tired of pumping £6M a year or whatever it is he's apparently losing each season with Ipswich. 

Back in 2007 his wealth made a difference in the championship. Keane and Jewell wasted it and now the money required has gone far beyond what Evans can put it in. Unless you do it how we did last season. 

Plus the fans hated him anyway, may as well run them at around break even and have them as some kind of league 1 / championship yoyo club. 

It’s a good example that unless you can comfortably be able to shell out multiple huge figure transfer fees in your respective league i.e Man City etc then what would be ‘big spending’ for the likes of us really guarantees no more chance for us than it does by just being very smart and relying on excellent scouting who can unearth the gems before they become that £20mil+ player. The margins only look noticeably different if you’re spending £60mil on someone who’s already proven world class. £20mil on the other hand, most of those priced targets for the likes of Bournemouth and Villa, Man City or Liverpool wouldn’t give a second glance to.

When you look at the players that Aston Villa have brought in for say £20mil each this season, have they actually been so much better than the ones we have with our recruitment for a pittance? The evidence clearly suggests not.

Ironically, their best signing has arguably been John McGinn. Bought from Scotland for around just £3mil I believe. Funny that.

My point is that it’s easy to spend ‘big’ money by our standards on a lot of rubbish (look at some of Bournemouth’s signings as an excellent example). My gut feeling is we’re signing just as good, if not better, for pennies, and if just 10% of these young talents bought with a view to the first team turn out to be decent in future then if we had to sell them, we’ll be laughing whilst we reinvest, and so on. 

• Like 2

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php

The League 1 equivalent of FFP is far tougher than the Championship. Wages must be no more than 60% of turnover. There are exceptions for relegated clubs for players signed before the September in the season in which they were relegated but obviously those exceptions start to unwind over the period of the players contracts. Turnover does include money introduced by owners but only if it is share capital. Money loaned by the owner doesn't count. 

All of this means that the longer Ipswich stay in League 1 the harder it will be to get out by being promoted. If they don't get promoted this season or next season we may never see them again.