TIL 1010

TWTD Having Yet Another Meltdown.

1 minute ago, kick it off said:

The Solidarnosc museum is an excellent visit if you ever find yourself in Gdansk - really brings to light what life was like under Soviet rule.

I went to school in Prague from 1972-76 so know exactly what it was like, having dual Nationality meant we moved back to the uk in 1976. There’s an excellent communist museum ne’er the new shopping centre in Prague, that’s good too. I’m planning a trip to Poland in a couple years, appreciate the info.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Indy said:

I went to school in Prague from 1972-76 so know exactly what it was like, having dual Nationality meant we moved back to the uk in 1976. There’s an excellent communist museum ne’er the new shopping centre in Prague, that’s good too. I’m planning a trip to Poland in a couple years, appreciate the info.

I am not defending the Soviet rule over those countries of central and eastern europe, but that mini-empire was its reward for playing the major role in defeating Hitler, and was in effect a buffer zone for a country without natural borders that over the centuries had suffered invasion after invasion.

3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I am not defending the Soviet rule over those countries of central and eastern europe, but that mini-empire was its reward for playing the major role in defeating Hitler, and was in effect a buffer zone for a country without natural borders that over the centuries had suffered invasion after invasion.

That’s very true Purple, nothing to be had by another war at the time, although some American generals wanted to!

Edited by Indy
  • Like 1

Blimey i have seen a lot of threads taken entirely off topic but this one is right up there.

Not looked but is the TWTD meltdown still taking place ?

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Back on topic, if the scum drop 5 more points over the rest of season then they’ll fail to match or beat our league one points total

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Blimey i have seen a lot of threads taken entirely off topic but this one is right up there.

Not looked but is the TWTD still taking place ?

Nope still on topic talking history! 😉

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Indy said:

An astonishing record (not to say, shocking) is accounted in the Uprising Museum in Warsaw. Not quite all about the Soviet occupation but certainly linked. It holds no bars. There is one 3D glasses virtual flight over postwar Warsaw showing the absolute devastation by the occupation. Also, there are memorials all over the city. Worth going for other reasons too of course, but architecturally speaking, it's worth it for the huge central civic building built by the Soviets in the mid 50s. 

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kick it off said:

It's not a card, it's just the fact that nobody else cares where the players come from, whereas you're clearly a racist **** who does. No further discussion needed.

KIO  Far from a racist 2 of my best friends who used my shop daily and who I went out with on a regular basis were both from IPSWICH, BOTH BLACK and NCFC players namely Ruel Fox and Louie Donowa both lovely lads. You don’t know me but like most of the liberals on this forum unless you mention Blacks, members of the LGBT then you are considered resist. It really pisses me off

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, daly said:

KIO  Far from a racist 2 of my best friends who used my shop daily and who I went out with on a regular basis were both from IPSWICH, BOTH BLACK and NCFC players namely Ruel Fox and Louie Donowa both lovely lads. You don’t know me but like most of the liberals on this forum unless you mention Blacks, members of the LGBT then you are considered resist. It really pisses me off

You're considered racist when you start making comments about the good old days when British teams were made up of Brits and none of these foreigners.

You made the comments, not me, grow up and own them, and don't try to deflect your racism as being my fault.

Edited by kick it off

2 hours ago, kick it off said:

Yep, they also charged Poland for renting the planes, food and lodging for the pilots and raided polish gold reserves to claim it back. £100 million was the cost to Poland for helping to save Britain. Then we were betrayed and sold to Stalin who was scarcely better than Hitler. Shameful the way the pilots and Poland in general was treated.

Britain should hang its head in shame. Still known in Poland as The Great Betrayal 

KIO  You must be a bundle of fun watching old re-runs on TV like Fawlty Towers with the Major ranting on about cricket nations and Alf Garnetts spates with his Black neighbour You would probably have a heart attack if you had to watch the Black and White Minstrels     

8 minutes ago, daly said:

KIO  You must be a bundle of fun watching old re-runs on TV like Fawlty Towers with the Major ranting on about cricket nations and Alf Garnetts spates with his Black neighbour You would probably have a heart attack if you had to watch the Black and White Minstrels     

............and.......... we're back on to history. The whole point of The Major in Fawlty Towers, and of Alf Garnett was that it was showing how ridiculous people who held/hold those views are. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, daly said:

There's a reason it's all outdated **** that is consigned to history, where it belongs.... Much like your views. Not really much else to say on the topic.

PS If you think watching re-runs of 50 year old TV shows is "bundles of fun" then that's your bag, but can't say I have any interest.

Edited by kick it off

4 minutes ago, kick it off said:

There's a reason it's all outdated **** that is consigned to history, where it belongs.... Much like your views. Not really much else to say on the topic.

PS If you think watching re-runs of 50 year old TV shows is "bundles of fun" then that's your bag, but can't say I have any interest.

Yes but viewed in context of that time Fawlty Towers, the Goodies, George & Mildred, Bless this house etc. were funny and still are as long as you don’t try to install today’s ethical values.....not saying we should go back by any means but not condemn it.

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

Yes but viewed in context of that time Fawlty Towers, the Goodies, George & Mildred, Bless this house etc. were funny and still are as long as you don’t try to install today’s ethical values.....not saying we should go back by any means but not condemn it.

Like I say, it's part of history - I don't condemn it because it was a different time, but I have to say - when I have watched it, I don't find it the remotest bit funny. Not because I'm viewing it through any particular lense (at least not consciously) but it just doesn't appeal to my sense of humour. I just watch it thinking that I'm glad to have grown up in a world with more then 4 TV channels.

7 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Like I say, it's part of history - I don't condemn it because it was a different time, but I have to say - when I have watched it, I don't find it the remotest bit funny. Not because I'm viewing it through any particular lense (at least not consciously) but it just doesn't appeal to my sense of humour. I just watch it thinking that I'm glad to have grown up in a world with more then 4 TV channels.

That’s fair enough, those of us who grew up with Monty Python, are of different humour no doubt, I can’t say I like any of the American attempts at humour bar Big Bang Theory. So each to their own.

As I’ve got older I find things like Gameface and Afterlife two of my favourite comedy series although a tad dark in humour but very clever. Gervais is a bit of a genius.

Edited by Indy

19 minutes ago, kick it off said:

So Fawlty  Towers is condemned to history??? Your blood pressure is going to go through the roof if you go to Tilly’s thread for””””” One for us Coffin Dodgers””””” the NCFC Team is made up of all white players DISGUSTING Tilly you racist 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, daly said:

So Fawlty  Towers is condemned to history??? Your blood pressure is going to go through the roof if you go to Tilly’s thread for””””” One for us Coffin Dodgers””””” the NCFC Team is made up of all white players DISGUSTING Tilly you racist 

Are you a bit simple? Resorting to whataboutery when under scrutiny?. The most ignorant racists are the one who dont know that they are one. As someone said earlier,  own what you say.  Or be big enough to reconsider .

Pedantic I know but the original statement (whilst entirely of no relevance and a silly comment) is not racist. If anything, it's xenophobic, race was never mentioned.

20 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Actually, I went to see the ‘Champions of Europe’ Nottingham Forest tonight, at Brentford....another lot not remotely shy in warbling on about their glorious past. 

I wonder what the Ipswich Vs Forest match would have been like last season ?
The entire crowd going on about the 1970s.

1 hour ago, All the Germans said:

Pedantic I know but the original statement (whilst entirely of no relevance and a silly comment) is not racist. If anything, it's xenophobic, race was never mentioned.

True. We all know what he was getting  at  though. 

1 hour ago, All the Germans said:

If you drew a spectrum with dyed in the wool politically correct liberals at one end and the Ku Klux klan at the other, xenophobia and racists would overlap. So yes, strictly speaking they are different, but in the scheme of things not by much.

3 hours ago, daly said:

Kevin Keelan was born in India . 

• Like 1

Meanwhile, back on the football - as it stands Ipswich despite dominating the first half have just lost 1-0 at Sunderland and dropped out of the top six. Oh dear. In addition all the teams around them have at least one game in handl. I'm sure this impressive run of form must be sitting well with the Messiah's fans here and with the real Ipswich fans down the road. Maybe we won't be having an Old Farm derby next year after all 😞

Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 08.51.12.png

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Donny need to score and they’ll be 8th!!!

No they wouldn't be