TIL 1010

TWTD Having Yet Another Meltdown.

Don’t see their issue, they lost to a decent side who finished ahead of them last season!👍🙂🤔

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Don’t see their issue, they lost to a decent side who finished ahead of them last season!👍🙂🤔

Yeah but what with their glorious history and being the club that everybody in League One should aspire to be surely it should never have happened. 😂🤣😛

• Haha 1

Actually, I went to see the ‘Champions of Europe’ Nottingham Forest tonight, at Brentford....another lot not remotely shy in warbling on about their glorious past. 

• Like 1

There are a host of Teams snapping at their heels now, with games in hand. 

A couple of months ago, they were way ahead, it's getting nervy down Suffolk way. 😂👍

7 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

They haven't beaten any of the teams currently in the top 9 places. Quite how they are in 3rd place is a mystery 

Because the rest of League One is basically made up of pub teams?!

I’m quite enjoying the thread “The world's worst decisions other than Lambert's contract extension”. There are some good efforts but no-one’s come close yet.

9 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Actually, I went to see the ‘Champions of Europe’ Nottingham Forest tonight, at Brentford....another lot not remotely shy in warbling on about their glorious past. 

Living in Nottingham, I find the amount you hear locally about Forest's history isn't too bad really. Also they did win, and then retain, the European Cup which is (in every sense) a different level to the scummers' history...

What's interesting is that in our L1 season under Lambert he achieved a steady improvement over the first half of the season and then maintained our top level pretty well through the 2nd half to overhaul Leeds and win the title.  Whereas it's starting to look like they peaked a couple of months back and are now fading badly.

• Like 1

Forest fans are generally pretty reasonable in how they consider their history.

Worst for delusions of grandeur are Villa and Leeds in my opinion. 

All these fans love to do the occasional 'this is what the Premier League should look like' table which inevitably contains 20 teams who were big when they were about 12.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, king canary said:

Forest fans are generally pretty reasonable in how they consider their history.

Worst for delusions of grandeur are Villa and Leeds in my opinion. 

All these fans love to do the occasional 'this is what the Premier League should look like' table which inevitably contains 20 teams who were big when they were about 12.

Agree with this. Some teams deserve to live on their history a little, especially those who have had actual impressive achievements and don't play on it THAT much - Forest I feel fall into this bracket.

Villa and Leeds fans are incredibly entitled and after watching the 'Sunderland til I die' docuseries (not sure that's a word), they seem just as deluded.

I honestly took great pleasure in watching it all fall apart for Leeds in 'Take Us Home' - The Amazon Prime docuseries from last season. I really did. I don't doubt they used to be a top side, but there is just something about those fans I cannot get on board with.

52 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Living in Nottingham, I find the amount you hear locally about Forest's history isn't too bad really. Also they did win, and then retain, the European Cup which is (in every sense) a different level to the scummers' history...

What's interesting is that in our L1 season under Lambert he achieved a steady improvement over the first half of the season and then maintained our top level pretty well through the 2nd half to overhaul Leeds and win the title.  Whereas it's starting to look like they peaked a couple of months back and are now fading badly.

When I was at the real University in Nottingham (decades ago) we used to go to a pub in Gotham City which was full of rabid Forest fans. None of us were Forest fans and it was hard to endure, despite the beer being fine.

55 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Have to agree - I've moved now, but lived in Nottingham for 5 years and it was incredibly rare to hear anything about their history. Certainly not even close to the scum's level.

24 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Agree with this. Some teams deserve to live on their history a little, especially those who have had actual impressive achievements and don't play on it THAT much - Forest I feel fall into this bracket.

Villa and Leeds fans are incredibly entitled and after watching the 'Sunderland til I die' docuseries (not sure that's a word), they seem just as deluded.

I honestly took great pleasure in watching it all fall apart for Leeds in 'Take Us Home' - The Amazon Prime docuseries from last season. I really did. I don't doubt they used to be a top side, but there is just something about those fans I cannot get on board with.

I think over time I've learned that each football club is both unique and totally the same. Every club believes they are special, every club believes they have a specific place in footballing history and every club believes there is such a thing as the 'West Ham way' for their club.

Why everyone needs to have a go at Ipswich/ForestLeeds past in European Competitions remember they won  their cups with the majority of players born in the U.K. not like today

12 minutes ago, daly said:

Why everyone needs to have a go at Ipswich/ForestLeeds past in European Competitions remember they won  their cups with the majority of players born in the U.K. not like today

Why does that matter?

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

When I was at the real University in Nottingham (decades ago) we used to go to a pub in Gotham City which was full of rabid Forest fans. None of us were Forest fans and it was hard to endure, despite the beer being fine.

Gotham City? I went to the pretend university in Nottingham (now highly rated apparently) and I’ve never heard of it. There’s a village south of the city called Gotham, but it’s pronounced Goat-ham and quite posh.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, daly said:

Good job Churchill wasn't a racist like you or the battle of Britain would have been a very different turning point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._303_Squadron_RAF

No. 303 Squadron RAF (Polish: 303 Dywizjon Myśliwski "Warszawski im. Tadeusza Kościuszki") was one of 16 Polish squadrons in the Royal Air Force (RAF) during the Second World War. Flying [[Hawker Hurricanes, the squadron claimed the largest number of aircraft shot down of the 66 Allied fighter squadrons engaged in the Battle of Britain, even though it joined the fray two months after the battle had begun

"Had it not been for the magnificent material contributed by the Polish squadrons and their unsurpassed gallantry," wrote Air Chief Marshal Sir Hugh Dowding, head of RAF Fighter Command, "I hesitate to say that the outcome of the Battle (of Britain) would have been the same."[7]

• Like 4

Here we go play the racist card all I said was that when Leeds/Ipswich/Forest won the competitions they comprised of mainly U.K. players and before money was the factor in the Liverpool’s/Man City etc doing well Get a life 

16 minutes ago, daly said:

Here we go play the racist card all I said was that when Leeds/Ipswich/Forest won the competitions they comprised of mainly U.K. players and before money was the factor in the Liverpool’s/Man City etc doing well Get a life 

It's not a card, it's just the fact that nobody else cares where the players come from, whereas you're clearly a racist **** who does. No further discussion needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

Good job Churchill wasn't a racist like you or the battle of Britain would have been a very different turning point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._303_Squadron_RAF

No. 303 Squadron RAF (Polish: 303 Dywizjon Myśliwski "Warszawski im. Tadeusza Kościuszki") was one of 16 Polish squadrons in the Royal Air Force (RAF) during the Second World War. Flying [[Hawker Hurricanes, the squadron claimed the largest number of aircraft shot down of the 66 Allied fighter squadrons engaged in the Battle of Britain, even though it joined the fray two months after the battle had begun

"Had it not been for the magnificent material contributed by the Polish squadrons and their unsurpassed gallantry," wrote Air Chief Marshal Sir Hugh Dowding, head of RAF Fighter Command, "I hesitate to say that the outcome of the Battle (of Britain) would have been the same."[7]

You do know Frantisek also flew and died in the 303 he was Czech, but little communicated fact that Polish pilots / ground forces who served in the our forces weren’t allowed to participate in the VE Day parades and we’re sent home.....treated pretty shabbily to appease Stalin.....that worked out well 😂

23 minutes ago, daly said:

I don't think it was a card so much as reacting to simple racism.

You didn't mention ANYTHING about money, until you got pulled up on your post. As KIO said, literally not one person referred to  players' origins before you - because it's ENTIRELY irrelevant.

Just now, Indy said:

You do know Frantisek also flew and died in the 303 he was Czech, but little communicated fact that Polish pilots / ground forces who served in the our forces weren’t allowed to participate in the VE Day parades and we’re sent home.....treated pretty shabbily to appease Stalin.....that worked out well 😂

Yep, they also charged Poland for renting the planes, food and lodging for the pilots and raided polish gold reserves to claim it back. £100 million was the cost to Poland for helping to save Britain. Then we were betrayed and sold to Stalin who was scarcely better than Hitler. Shameful the way the pilots and Poland in general was treated.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kick it off said:

Yep, they also charged Poland for renting the planes, food and lodging for the pilots and raided polish gold reserves to claim it back. £100 million was the cost to Poland for helping to save Britain. Then we were betrayed and sold to Stalin who was scarcely better than Hitler. Shameful the way the pilots and Poland in general was treated.

I was recently in Prague they had a fantastic display in the national museum on the Czech Pilot, engineers and ground crews in the RAF.

Yes it wasn’t the best way to thank such a proud and fantastic people like the Poles back then. But there you go we had to try and appease the red army to prevent more conflict.....years of Russian rule over the Eastern European’s for forty years....I have Czech background and family still out there so know exactly what these years were like.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

I was recently in Prague they had a fantastic display in the national museum on the Czech Pilot, engineers and ground crews in the RAF.

The Solidarnosc museum is an excellent visit if you ever find yourself in Gdansk - really brings to light what life was like under Soviet rule.

• Like 1