Sign in to follow this  
Pugin

W-L-W-?. Someone has to say it - we have turned a corner.

Delete the last 6 months, start the season on Saturday, and on current form we are playing well enough to keep clear of the drop zone 

On that basis, if we can find the wins to close that 6 point gap, we will be in a good position to battle our way above the likes of West Ham, Bournemouth, Villa and Watford. Will we do it? I think, yes, we have the momentum. It sets the Newcastle game up wonderfully, but my God, do we need the win.

If we can get back in amongst it, we have every chance. We have a togetherness, built over two years, that the other strugglers lack. Only West Ham look truly dysfunctional, but who knows what factions are causing rifts in the other clubs.

Survival? Yes, it's within reach.

• Like 2

I like the optimism but whilst survival is possible, it has to be considered very unlikely. I think we have played well and deserve much better than we have got so far, but from this position, it is very unlikely.

I don't think you had to say it.

The wins were against a 10 men and horrifically out of form Bournemouth (and we made that one tough) and in the cup against Burnley reserves.

In our last three league games, we've scored two goals, both penalties.

If we beat Newcastle and play well then we can talk about turning corners. Right now I'm not sure.

13 minutes ago, ROBFLECK said:

Don't get your hopes up too high... my advice

I don't think it's just hope - it's just important that we don't just give up on the possibility and recognise that from what we have seen this season we are not far off from the standard needed to win matches and even go on a run. It is a small step from playing the way we have to actually winning more and with the two new players hopefully adding a bit of bite to the team and if Vrancic can deliver like we know he can, it is still season on.

I actually believe that the players who have proved that they can cut it in the PL have all improved 10% as the season has progressed (well, all except Pukki who is over-thinking and trying too hard to find the corners!.Relax, Teemu!)

Selection will be vital in the games ahead, never more  so than in the case of Mario Vrancic. I would be brave and start him at Newcastle, but be prepared to change it early if either we had established a good lead, or if they were breaking through too easily.  

Come what may, the bench will be far stronger than at the start of the season. That might be worth a point or two. I do wish we could snaffle Jordan Rhodes before end of Jan. Is it possible?)

43 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I don't think it's just hope - it's just important that we don't just give up on the possibility and recognise that from what we have seen this season we are not far off from the standard needed to win matches and even go on a run. It is a small step from playing the way we have to actually winning more and with the two new players hopefully adding a bit of bite to the team and if Vrancic can deliver like we know he can, it is still season on.

Blind optimism, but if we can get the right mix / first team out there and can keep the confidence high we should be able to pick up further points. Enough to not get relegated - highly doubtful.

51 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I don't dispute that Lakey, but so many times this season, we have seen our team perform well , but still come up short. So I try not to get carried away by the "we're performing well" mantra . We are not getting points in the bag atm.

I do believe however , that a few good results will get the confidence flowing again, and that is what I think is crucial!!! We need a good win to start a streak of good results... without that we will go down for sure

We've had a good result in the cup, now let's build on it

Edited by ROBFLECK