Sign in to follow this  
Icecream Snow

Amadou off?

16 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Odd that he hasn't been given more time in centre mid recently as we are clearly lacking a bit of bite there.

In the little time that he has been in centre midfield he hasn't looked very good. 

I appreciate that it probably isn't a 'fair' go for him, but he's doesn't look like he has much finesse! 

Michael Bailey suggested on his podcast (I think) that Norwich had felt let down by his passing, saying they felt he wasn’t capable of being part of that build up play we build our philosophy around.

If he goes, he leaves probably as the biggest transfer disappointment of the Webber era, IMO. 

Edited by Terminally Yellow

Yes probably so, many had high hopes for him, I know I was guilty of that. Oh well, creates room in the squad for another overseas player ..... 

Highlights what an awful summer window we had. Really it tied Farkes hands behind his back before a ball was kicked. Must do better in the next summer window irrelevant of what league we’re in 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

In the little time that he has been in centre midfield he hasn't looked very good. 

I appreciate that it probably isn't a 'fair' go for him, but he's doesn't look like he has much finesse! 

Lack of finesse is correct, also think he struggled with the pace of the PL.  Wasn't a bad idea, just didnt fit, so maybe loan first was wise. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Michael Bailey suggested on his podcast (I think) that Norwich had felt let down by his passing, saying they felt he wasn’t capable of being part of that build up play we build our philosophy around.

If he goes, he leaves probably as the biggest transfer disappointment of the Webber era, IMO. 

Paddy Davitt kept saying Amadou had played more than 30 times for Sevilla last season, but he only made seven starts in La Liga, which may have been a pointer.

You have to move the ball quickly and progressively in Daniel's team. Players who cannot build this into their game - most notably Mo Leitner and now Amadou -  are like a soldier marching out of time. They are not on the same wavelength and they upset the rhythm. 

• Like 1

It is a signing that only highlights that this club, under the present board, cannot afford to compete in the Premiership. Forget top 16- our budget is championship all the way. Whenever we go up we are consigned to shopping in the budget basket and therefore struggle. Last time we foolishly purchased expensive has-beens. We were wiser this time to keep the spend down and go for finger crossed loans. But either way it shows that the fans are let down every time we go up because the resources are not there, or else not used, to maintain top flight status. 

6 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I can't decide how I feel about this.

In some ways it is great we have a footballing philosophy that we stick to.

In other ways, I find the lack of any flexibility in how we play a concern.

Defensive midfielders who can do the dirty work and are fully comfortable with the ball at their feet are few and far between and certainly well beyond our budget. 

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Lack of finesse is correct, also think he struggled with the pace of the PL.  Wasn't a bad idea, just didnt fit, so maybe loan first was wise. 

In Neil’s day we’d have probably shelled out £9m or whatever it was we were quoted on a permanent move.

Dodged a very expensive bullet there.

• Like 1

Seemed like the ideal signing at the time but just hasn’t worked out unfortunately. I’m not in the ‘he hasn’t been given a chance’ camp, you have to earn your place in the team. 

If he isn’t going to play then get rid and bring somebody else in.

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

It is a signing that only highlights that this club, under the present board, cannot afford to compete in the Premiership. Forget top 16- our budget is championship all the way. Whenever we go up we are consigned to shopping in the budget basket and therefore struggle. Last time we foolishly purchased expensive has-beens. We were wiser this time to keep the spend down and go for finger crossed loans. But either way it shows that the fans are let down every time we go up because the resources are not there, or else not used, to maintain top flight status. 

I don't feel let down. This time round I am proud that we are trying to "Do Different" in looking for another way to run our club.

"Look at Sheffield United" you say. "Look at Villa" I reply. They may stay up, but they have almost made an Art Form out of burning piles of money.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I’m struggling to pick anything sensible out of here, but all I can find is “Delia out”.

Last time “we foolishly purchased expensive has-beens” - like Klose? Obviously Naismith was a mistake in hindsight but at the time the manager and CEO thought it was the right thing to do. We gambled and lost, but we did what you seem to be asking for and spent more than we could afford. This time we have spent less - but nevertheless we have spent, what I would guess is millions, on loan fees and wages - and it’s largely not worked. What has failed has been the quality of our acquisitions, not the actions we have taken.

You could, and I expect will, argue that with more money we could make better acquisitions but I have a one word answer to that, starting in V and ending in illa. In fact two, the other starts with F and ends with ulham.

Fair enough. I guess it would have been more accurate to say; the current board/vision will satisfy those fans content with being a second tier side. However it must frustrate those who feel we ought to be pushing to be an established prem side.

Because our transfer business on recent promotions has been woeful and means we have looked a gift horse repeatedly in the mouth Either too little too late, or overly expensive and past it or else no improvement to what we have. 

Like I've said a hundred times, he isn't consistent enough and hasn't been anywhere near nailing down a starting berth in this team. It could be the passing limitations, but I think his all round game has looked rusty pretty much every time he's played (bar about twice from my memory).

Yes, it's a shame as I had also hoped he would come good for us. I remember there being excitement around his signing from the club but also from us fans (myself included). I didn't know a huge amount about him then but I've seen all I need to now and I don't think he's up to it.

But let's stop banging on about recruitment shall we? We all knew what the situation was going to be. It hasn't been good, but at least we didn't buy some of these players! A loan worked well because we could figure out whether these players would make it or not. We'd have all been way more upset with this if we'd paid 10 million for him eh?

Just goes to show, you can throw money at a problem if you have it but doesn't mean you're gonna solve anything!

1 minute ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Because our transfer business on recent promotions has been woeful and means we have looked a gift horse repeatedly in the mouth Either too little too late, or overly expensive and past it or else no improvement to what we have. 

And in return, your point above is fair too. Where we excel with transfers is picking up bargains like Byram and Emi, or identifying youngsters with potential like Maddison, Godfrey, Lewis and Aarons. Moving up a level, when we try and find a player who is closer to the finished article. we seem to really struggle.

11 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I’m struggling to pick anything sensible out of here, but all I can find is “Delia out”.

Last time “we foolishly purchased expensive has-beens” - like Klose? Obviously Naismith was a mistake in hindsight but at the time the manager and CEO thought it was the right thing to do. We gambled and lost, but we did what you seem to be asking for and spent more than we could afford. This time we have spent less - but nevertheless we have spent, what I would guess is millions, on loan fees and wages - and it’s largely not worked. What has failed has been the quality of our acquisitions, not the actions we have taken.

You could, and I expect will, argue that with more money we could make better acquisitions but I have a one word answer to that, starting in V and ending in illa. In fact two, the other starts with F and ends with ulham.

For whatever reason Amadou seems not to have worked, but at the time I am sure Webber and Farke thought he was a distinct improvement on what we had.

And ditto with Fahrmann. I remember Bethnal saying before the season began he expected Krul to start as first choice but Fahrmann to take over sooner or later. And I did. But there were no obvious errors by Krul early on to provide a reason to drop him. Add Roberts and it looks as if all three of our loan deals were mistakes.

Edited by PurpleCanary

10 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Was very good at DCM v Arsenal.  And poor v soton.

Sometimes it just doesn't work out.

12 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Like I've said a hundred times, he isn't consistent enough and hasn't been anywhere near nailing down a starting berth in this team.

You can keep saying it, doesn't magically make it make sense.

How anyone can show consistency with 45 minutes in their preferred position is beyond me.

The simple fact on Amadou is that he played just one full PL game at cdm, v Arsenal, and looked absolutely fine in that game.  He’s barely been given a chance in the role he was brought here for, for whatever reason, so the transfer can’t be seen as a success by any real measure.  The sad thing is that, in what was a really important transfer window given our promotion, we had a pretty bad summer transfer-wise, with only one (Byram) true success out of five (currently).  That is a pretty awful return.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

In many ways Cardiff are a more pertinent example to us. They spent £32 million when they were promoted to the Premier League at the beginning of last season (not including anything they may end up paying in the tragic Emiliano Sala case). 

They were promptly relegated and are currently mid table in the Championship. 

13 minutes ago, ZLF said:

Was very good at DCM v Arsenal.  And poor v soton.

Sometimes it just doesn't work out.

Had 20 mins at CDM against Southampton, before being moved to a right side of a back three. Clearly not a position he would excel in! 

The only time he's been played correctly in his correct position for a substantial amount of time to judge his ability, was Arsenal. And he was excellent. 

It seems from the outside looking in, Amadou hasn't been given a fair crack. Like quite a few players during the Farke era. But we have to trust Farke's judgment.  

• Like 1

If nothing else we've got to thank him for that performance out of position against man city.

I believe that if given a run in the team, he could command a place, but we don't have that luxury to wait for players to come good - we need it now.