Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Jamal to Palace?

1 minute ago, norfolkngood said:

Yes but like you will know that Not all the money will be paid upfront so the club could ask for that in a way that it could be spread over certain tax years etc 

my concern is that if Lewis Aarrons , Godfrey , Cantwell get their heads turned if or when we go down what the club will do , In my eyes the club will have to spend that money somewhere unless there will be a Tax bill heading there way , maybe improve the ground etc , 

That’s true but if it forces the board to spend to make improvements in our infrastructure training ground and stadium then it’s not all bad as I understand there are areas which need a facelift, improvement and modernising, not to mention expanding the ground as an option too.

Perhaps I'm a bit naive to think that the club won't flog its assets as soon as another club comes knocking, given what I've observed over the last 30 or so years. I think I understand the "model", but I would still be saddened and disappointed if Jamal left in this window. He was fundamental throughout last season and, while he made some errors earlier this season, our defence in general was injury-ravaged and learning on the job and he wasn't really any more to be blamed than anyone else. While I think it's currently Byram's jersey, he's not a natural left-back. We only really have the three. I can't see Palace offering the kind of money to see the deal through, unless Lewis wants to leave, in which case there will surely need to be a competent replacement lined up. 

The more likely scenario is Aarons to move on in June, with Byram & Lewis providing the width for the big push back up to the top flight. (Unless we go on a ridiculous run and actually stay up!)

12 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Absolutely 100% agree with this. £15mil is an absolute snip for a player of Lewis' ability, age and potential.

All this talk of £30m or £40m per player on this forum has been utterly delusional.

How much can we really demand for an attacking full back who has 0 assists (like Aarons) and has been kept out of the team by Sam Byram and is part of the leagues worst defence. 

I don't want to sell him, but people have been overvaluing our players on this forum ever since we gained promotion.

Norwich fans amongst the most delusional these days I'm afraid. A player is only worth what the market is prepared to pay, and that probably is about £15m-£20m for a Jamal Lewis from a soon-to-be Championship side. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

All this talk of £30m or £40m per player on this forum has been utterly delusional.

How much can we really demand for an attacking full back who has 0 assists (like Aarons) and has been kept out of the team by Sam Byram and is part of the leagues worst defence. 

I don't want to sell him, but people have been overvaluing our players on this forum ever since we gained promotion.

Norwich fans amongst the most delusional these days I'm afraid. A player is only worth what the market is prepared to pay, and that probably is about £15m-£20m for a Jamal Lewis from a soon-to-be Championship side. 

These days you don’t pay money just for ability, but rather for what a player could become. Jamal was a key figure in a championship winning side. A regular international who has played in some massive fixtures. Crucially, only 22 years old, who could continue to improve if he remains in this division you’ve seemingly written him off from being able to compete in and be someone’s left back for ten, fifteen years to come. More over, he’s very much under contract and our season In the Prem leaves us in a strong position not needing to sell. 

Max Aarons has had far less experience in the same defence and is regularly spoken about in the context of £30m moves by all corners of the media. 

It’s far from delusional to expect the club to sell its assets for top dollar. £15m does not represent good value in today’s market - I cant understand why or how you could disagree. Look at the cost of British full backs. Luke Shaw cost Utd £30m. Wan-Bissaka cost £45m. Andrew Robertson cost Liverpool £8m from a Hull side selling anything not bolted to the floor to cover costs of relegation in a deal lauded as a bargain. Kieran Tierney £25m to Arsenal. 

I absolutely would be asking for £30m if I were Stuart Webber. Palace can afford it. I would expect, if we were truly interested in selling, a negotiation would ensue and would settle for a package worth around £25m with all add ons and such like. 

Lets stop talking down our players and what they have achieved and start backing the club to get the best out of our players for once, whether that be on the field or leaving the club for the largest fee possible. 

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

But they’re not interested in a (not guaranteed) Championship side, they’re interested in one of English football’s most promising young left backs.

It’s no slight on Jamal that Sam has done so well. He got injured, and his backup has been very good. So naturally he keeps his place. Doesn’t mean Sam is a better player. Just means Sam doesn’t deserve to be dropped, or not until he lets his standards drop (if he does).

Championship players are going for silly money nowadays. Jamal’s already stood out for the ROI seniors, and played well in the Premier League, whereas the lad in the link below is a 16 year old substitute in the Championship and Birmingham have already allegedly refused £30mil for him! Why? Because it’s clear, like Jamal, he has serious potential in his respected position.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1233520/Man-Utd-transfer-news-Jude-Bellingham-Birmingham-City-asking-price/amp

Crystal Palace always ask for ridiculously big sums for their talent, arguably too much. What goes around, comes around, I hope 👍🏼

For what it’s worth, I think Jamal will end up at Liverpool as previously rumoured on several occasions. His marauding fullback style completely suits Klopp’s philosophy to a tee - Jurgen will be able to polish his talents no question, even if others can’t quite see it yet...

A massively underrated talent.

I see the rumor is Palace again. Why always Palace, the rumor was about Puuki last time. 

I really hope that Jamal stays and fulfills all of his career aspirations with us. He's a great lad, and a perfect fit for the club. He is liked, he's respected, and he is eager to keep improving. A perfect pro, in an age where the game has its fair share of bluffers.

But from outside,  I think other clubs will see enormous potential. His weaknesses - a nervousness which occasionally get the better of him, a failure to sometimes play with his head up, momentary hesitations which translate into lack of composure - will disappear as his experience and self-belief increases.  We will then see the full expression of his god-given qualities; his pace, his physique and athleticism, and his determination

Those are all qualities which Jamal possesses in abundance. They are there, and they cannot be coached. We are lucky to have him, they make him worth very serious money, and they are why I am convinced that Daniel will keep him at Carrow Road. 

20 hours ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

It’s hardly a reliable source the rumour came from 

Jobsworth in sensible post shocker!!!

The original article says “A Palace source has told Football Insiderthat the club have made an approach to prise Lewis, 22, from Carrow Road and preliminary negotiations are underway.” In other words even if you do believe it, they’ve approached us and said “will you take £7.5 million for Lewis”, we’ve said on your bike and that’s the end of it.

More importantly, the headline has now changed from “advanced talks” to “make approach”. Nuff said.

8 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I think people like you forget teams are signing an individual, not our defence. The fact he's been playing in a defence that ships goals doesn't really matter unless the team interested think he's the cause of them. They'll be looking at his qualities, attributes, potential and his advanced stats (not just 'he hasn't got an assist therefore he isn't creative'). 

The last left back Palace paid good money for was Patrick Van Aanholt, signed from then bottom of the league Sunderland who also had a defence who leaked goals for fun.

I don't think Lewis is worth £30m but in the current market £15m would be cheap. If a team enquired I'd start at £30m but would imagine we'd end up settling somewhere in the middle of those two figures.

• Like 6

The Real value in our youngsters is Homegrown and English 

With the PL Team  rules English Player's are worth more that's why some are 25/30 mil bracket 

22 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

It’s far from delusional to expect the club to sell its assets for top dollar. £15m does not represent good value in today’s market - I cant understand why or how you could disagree

You are missing the fact that I don't want the club to sell him for £15m, I would much prefer we keep him and play him as the Norwich City left back at that price. 

I'm just being realistic about what the level of offers we'd receive for him at this stage, and I really can't see that being £30m to be honest. 

Max Aarons is 2 years younger, has kept himself in the side and frankly looks the more likely of the two to become an attacking threat in my opinion and for me that makes him worth more than Lewis. There is also a big 4/6 club desperate for a good right back right now, an obvious destination for Aarons.

Tottenham a completely different kettle of fish to Crystal Palace. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Thanks 1

The fact that he’s not playing does make me feel that currently 15m would be about what I’d expect other teams to be offering.

But it’s the fact that I only expect his valuation / worth to the club to only go up from that figure that I think we’d be stupid to accept. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, king canary said:

I think people like you forget teams are signing an individual, not our defence. The fact he's been playing in a defence that ships goals doesn't really matter unless the team interested think he's the cause of them. They'll be looking at his qualities, attributes, potential and his advanced stats (not just 'he hasn't got an assist therefore he isn't creative'). 

The last left back Palace paid good money for was Patrick Van Aanholt, signed from then bottom of the league Sunderland who also had a defence who leaked goals for fun.

I don't think Lewis is worth £30m but in the current market £15m would be cheap. If a team enquired I'd start at £30m but would imagine we'd end up settling somewhere in the middle of those two figures.

I think people are missing the point here, which is that its completely unrealistic to expect a team like Palace to bid anymore than £15m-£20m for Jamal Lewis. That doesn't mean I think we should accept £15m. 

That doesn't mean that there is an outside chance that a couple of bigger clubs fancy having a bidding war for one of our players. 

But we are talking about a team which spent £7m this season, about £11m last season, the season before that they did spend £25m on a player but that was a regular French International from Liverpool and their total transfer spend that season was still about the same as Sheffield United have spent this season.

Just because a few players each season do go for crazy money doesn't mean that this is the 'market rate'. 

At £30m he'd be Palace's record signing, is that really realistic? Jamal Lewis being their record signing? Because he may be top class in 2 years, but then again may stand still and just be about as good as Ryan Betrand? 

Even at £15m and he'd be their third biggest signing ever, the other two had shed loads of caps for France and Belgium respectively and were both signed from Liverpool where they'd been getting first team football.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

3 minutes ago, Hillhead said:

The fact that he’s not playing does make me feel that currently 15m would be about what I’d expect other teams to be offering.

But it’s the fact that I only expect his valuation / worth to the club to only go up from that figure that I think we’d be stupid to accept. 

Agree, and that's my position.

I wouldn't want to sell him for £15m, I'd rather we kept for now at that price.

But I'd be surprised if we were offered much more at this stage. 

22 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

For what it’s worth, I think Jamal will end up at Liverpool as previously rumoured on several occasions. His marauding fullback style completely suits Klopp’s philosophy to a tee - Jurgen will be able to polish his talents no question, even if others can’t quite see it yet...

£8m they paid for Andrew Robertson after a full season of Premier League football at relegated Hull. He was 22, the same age as Jamal Lewis.

Three years of football inflation since that point, but does £8m turn into £30m in three years? 

Or is it more likely that £15m today is the new £8m? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

You are missing the fact that I don't want the club to sell him for £15m, I would much prefer we keep him and play him as the Norwich City left back at that price. 

I'm just being realistic about what the level of offers we'd receive for him at this stage, and I really can't see that being £30m to be honest. 

Max Aarons is 2 years younger, has kept himself in the side and frankly looks the more likely of the two to become an attacking threat in my opinion and for me that makes him worth more than Lewis. There is also a big 4/6 club desperate for a good right back right now, an obvious destination for Aarons.

Tottenham a completely different kettle of fish to Crystal Palace. 

I see your point, ultimately we are lucky that the one silver lining to this season is if we don't want to sell, we really don't have to. We are lucky in that regard - it's not been often that NCFC have been in that position.

I'm not sure I agree that clubs wouldn't offer more. January is a strange time, and I think the level of desperation some clubs reach in later January can spark some very strange moves. Andy Carroll to Liverpool jumps to mind. 

While I think Max is definitely the more saleable assets, I don't think Jamal is far off. If Palace did offer £15m, I think it would be wrong to take it.

On 28/01/2020 at 02:21, Alex Moss said:

Jamal’s already stood out for the ROI seniors, 

No, he hasnt Alexo, he plays for NI. Which is, of course, irrelevant to his sale value or his likelihood of staying/moving. Fwiw I dont think we should,sell just yet, I know we have decent cover in Sam, but we need two good players in every position to be  well stocked for whatever campaign we are in next season.

Edited by wcorkcanary

11 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

£8m they paid for Andrew Robertson after a full season of Premier League football at relegated Hull. He was 22, the same age as Jamal Lewis.

Three years of football inflation since that point, but does £8m turn into £30m in three years? 

To be fair, I think Robertson had one year left on his deal and Hull needed the money.

Lewis on the other hand has 3.5 years left on his deal and we apparently don't need the money - particularly in January.

I would be surprised if we got less than 17m for him in the summer if we got relegated. 

15m in January is just bad business - but people's hopes of 30m+ sales after a relegation are probably going to be in for a shock. 

12 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

£8m isn't what Robertson was worth though- it was what Hull could hold out for.

As others have mentioned he was late on in his contract and at a club who were a bit of financial mess

49 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

They pull out of breaking their transfer record by bidding £30m for Jamal Lewis and save £26m by signing Ferguson :classic_wink:

6 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

They pull out of breaking their transfer record by bidding £30m for Jamal Lewis and save £26m by signing Ferguson :classic_wink:

Ferguson out of contract in the summer. Hence WBAs low price demands.