Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Team for Newcastle

14 minutes ago, king canary said:

Vrancic also looked very easily bypassed in previous games- him and Tettey as a central midfield is just not mobile enough for me.

Frustratingly true. Vrancic is one of my favourite players and his passing range and ability is a level above anyone else in the squad but he is too easy to get past in games. Needs someone with real physicality, including pace, next to him, especially away from home in this league.

17 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Ha! Not quite. I really like Toddy. His personality and desire to improve are second to none, I just think he has a way to go yet and if we are to put up a challenge this season we need to see him take more responsibility on the ball.  The crunch is coming and we don't want just nice football that looks good on the eye - we want goals and we want results!  I could say the similar about Emi - he needs to do more in terms of goals. 

I would be quite happy to even see the same team as played agaisnt Burnley - they were that good. No Emi, no Cantwell, not even Pukki, but a purposeful more direct version of Farkeball that yielded a result.  We need that.

I'm not sure we have a player bar maybe Emi who HAS taken more responsibility on the ball than Cantwell?!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Frustratingly true. Vrancic is one of my favourite players and his passing range and ability is a level above anyone else in the squad but he is too easy to get past in games. Needs someone with real physicality, including pace, next to him, especially away from home in this league.

I suspect that is what we thought we were getting with Amadou!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'm not sure we have a player bar maybe Emi who HAS taken more responsibility on the ball than Cantwell?!

I don't know, but so often I see Todd in situations where all he does is just make small passes on to someone else....hardly ever crosses the ball or make long passes (less than one long pass per game according to stats).  What he does he does very well with his close control, short passing and his mobility and he has shown he can score this season which is good, but as shown on Saturday, farkeball does not rely on him - and Emi - there are quality alternatives available in Duda and Rupp and what I mean by taking responsibility is that he could be braver in his play.

In terms of excitement there is still a buzz when Hernandez gets on the ball - he is brave and you just know he is going to run at the defence and yes, he hasn't scored as much as we would like - yet - but that determination to actually do something is what we need at this stage.  We cannot afford just to look good - we need some penetration - and we need to win matches! 

Edited by lake district canary

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I don't know, but so often I see Todd in situations where all he does is just make small passes on to someone else....hardly ever crosses the ball or make long passes

So he plays the way Farke likes his teams to play?

• Like 6

For me onel oo often goes missing defensively and going forward the excitement feels like hope rather than reason, his choices and quality of pass means he simply doesn't deliver a real goal threat.

All about opinions though.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, king canary said:
31 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I don't know, but so often I see Todd in situations where all he does is just make small passes on to someone else....hardly ever crosses the ball or make long passes

So he plays the way Farke likes his teams to play?

Farkeball is much more than just playing small passes.

52 minutes ago, ZLF said:

For me onel oo often goes missing defensively and going forward the excitement feels like hope rather than reason, his choices and quality of pass means he simply doesn't deliver a real goal threat.

All about opinions though.

Onel's decision making is his main weakness- far too often makes the wrong call. Again, forgivable in the Championship as you'll get more chances, less so at this level.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Farkeball is much more than just playing small passes.

There is but crossing the ball and making long passes from the position Todd plays isn't part of it.

Yeah I think Todd is the natural option in that position, for our style of play, and will retain his place at Newcastle if fit.

And if anyone thinks Todd isn't doing the business or isn't good enough then I would implore them to look at the chance we created against Spurs at 0-0, when Pukki got through but fluffed his lines. The control and presence of mind from Todd was incredible. He had a very small amount of time to shift the ball and get the pass away, which he did brilliantly and incredibly calmly under pressure. It was an excellent, if momentary, example of his quality. It's here at around 1:10...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Yeah I think Todd is the natural option in that position, for our style of play, and will retain his place at Newcastle if fit.

And if anyone thinks Todd isn't doing the business or isn't good enough then I would implore them to look at the chance we created against Spurs at 0-0, when Pukki got through but fluffed his lines. The control and presence of mind from Todd was incredible. He had a very small amount of time to shift the ball and get the pass away, which he did brilliantly and incredibly calmly under pressure. It was an excellent, if momentary, example of his quality. It's here at around 1:10...

Last year many I thought over-hyped Cantwell 'the local boy wonder'. He has however improved markedly as the season has gone on - still sometimes gives the ball away cheaply (as again last week again) but then so does Emi. As supporters we always tend to overrate our stars.  However he keeps his starting shirt but swap with Onel EARLY if we think we need a pacy outlet tp stretch Newcastle  (and not just because we're loosing - if we are winning as well).   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Last year many I thought over-hyped Cantwell 'the local boy wonder'. He has however improved markedly as the season has gone on - still sometimes gives the ball away cheaply (as again last week again) but then so does Emi. As supporters we always tend to overrate our stars.  However he keeps his starting shirt but swap with Onel EARLY if we think we need a pacy outlet tp stretch Newcastle  (and not just because we're loosing - if we are winning as well).   

Word of warning - we brought Hernandez on for Cantwell when we were 1-0 up against Palace. A few minutes later Palace equalised. 

Just now, Thirsty Lizard said:

Word of warning - we brought Hernandez on for Cantwell when we were 1-0 up against Palace. A few minutes later Palace equalised. 

Nothing is perfect!

The larger issue I have is that our midfield - Cantwell and Emi in particular have been the source of a great many goals against. Loosing the ball unexpectedly by taking too much time, fiddling around or trying a trick in a daft place. It leaves the defence out of position and caught out. They have been improving recently in that regard - some EPL wisdom.

8 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I'm not totally sure those two things are linked.

23 minutes ago, king canary said:

There is but crossing the ball and making long passes from the position Todd plays isn't part of it.

Todd plays all over the place. I know I'm being finnicky about this, but we have seen too much nice football and not enough winning football this season so far. I don't want to lose the nice element of that - but I do think that we need to be more clinical in our attacking play - so that we can start winning. There is not the time left this season just to be nice on the pitch so adjustments have to be made, whether it's Todd, Emi or anyone else.

Vrancic has staked his claim and I don't agree that he isn't good enough at defending....and anyway attack is the best form of defence and as he showed beyond doubt against Burnley he is our best playmaker and there should be room for him in the team. 

We now have a big group of midfield riches with Duda and Rupp arriving - it will be interesting to see how Farke handles it from here on in.  Todd, Emi, Duda, Rupp, Vrancic, Hernandez, Mclean, Stiepermann, Tettey, Trybull, Amadou - all capable in their own rights. All of them are good enough imo, but only some can start.  It should not be seen as sacrilege to suggest one of those players over another, they are all good players.

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Todd plays all over the place. I know I'm being finnicky about this, but we have seen too much nice football and not enough winning football this season so far. I don't want to lose the nice element of that - but I do think that we need to be more clinical in our attacking play - so that we can start winning. There is not the time left this season just to be nice on the pitch so adjustments have to be made, whether it's Todd, Emi or anyone else.

Vrancic has staked his claim and I don't agree that he isn't good enough at defending....and anyway attack is the best form of defence and as he showed beyond doubt against Burnley he is our best playmaker and there should be room for him in the team. 

We now have a big group of midfield riches with Duda and Rupp arriving - it will be interesting to see how Farke handles it from here on in.  Todd, Emi, Duda, Rupp, Vrancic, Hernandez, Mclean, Stiepermann, Tettey, Trybull, Amadou - all capable in their own rights. All of them are good enough imo, but only some can start.  It should not be seen as sacrilege to suggest one of those players over another, they are all good players.

OK but here is the thing...the reason we play nice, short football isn't Todd. It is Farke. 

If you want to see us move away from that you're asking for a change in wider philosophy which I don't see happening.

I'm a big fan of Vrancic in terms of his range of passing, ability to bring others into play and generally be creative. What he isn't though is mobile enough to offer cover against counter-attacks. In isolation this could be fine- the issue is neither Trybull or Tettey are mobile enough either. We push the fullbacks up, tuck our wide players in and thus need our central midfielders to be mobile enough to cut off the opposition if/when we lose the ball up the field. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'm not totally sure those two things are linked.

They probably weren't - nobody can know. But it's absolutely amazing the amount of people who come on here spouting about Farke's substitutions or lack of them. Some of them furiously having a go at Farke claiming that if he only made substitutions earlier etc, we'd miraculously start winning games. It's just not that easy or simple. 

I would bring Lewis back in. Nothing against Byram but we look to have far better balance with Lewis playing, as a natural left back. Byram is always cutting inside or going backwards, which slows down the attacks.

We looked great going forward and much more direct vs Burnley with Lewis in the team. 

I don't know what preference of position Vrancic has. He likes to pick it up halfway and do damage. Obviously that means he can't start from a too advanced position. But he does like to get in and around the box and is dangerous there as he showed against Burnley.

He isn't the quickest I admit but to say he isn't mobile isn't completely fair. If he and Tettey are played together, there is admittedly a chance of getting caught out on the break.

But we are now in a position where we are going to have to take risks to get wins. Draws will not be enough. And as much as Tettey has done very little wrong this season, against my expectations, I would keep Vrancic and perhaps try Rupp alongside him. They interacted well against Burnley, particularly second half when our midfield tends to wilt.

I don't think it will be an easy decision for DF. MacLean's position is clearly under threat just because of the new signings. And he has done little wrong and is an ability in the air that the others do not.

I would try:

Krul

Aarons Zimbo Hanley Byram

Rupp Vrancic

Buendia MacLean Todd

Teemu

Bench: Farhmann, Lewis, Tettey, Duda, Hernandez, Trybull, Drmic

3 hours ago, king canary said:

Vrancic also looked very easily bypassed in previous games- him and Tettey as a central midfield is just not mobile enough for me.

I understand the comment about Vrancic but isn't mobility one of Tetteys strengths?

47 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

They probably weren't - nobody can know. But it's absolutely amazing the amount of people who come on here spouting about Farke's substitutions or lack of them. Some of them furiously having a go at Farke claiming that if he only made substitutions earlier etc, we'd miraculously start winning games. It's just not that easy or simple. 

Farke has been excellent for us. My one constant nagging problem with him is his use of substitutions. There may be no point making subs just for the sake of it but when we are losing / up against it / our plan just isn't working, for christ sake change something. There is no point making subs at 85+ minutes, unless you are trying to wind the clock down / shore up a defence from a winning position (or injuries / sendings off). He very rarely does make a change earlier but the overwhelming majority of times, he waits until too late to try to change anything, in my opinion.

8 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I understand the comment about Vrancic but isn't mobility one of Tetteys strengths?

I'm one of his biggest fans but I wouldn't call him mobile. It's his ability to anticipate that enables to disrupt oppositions. He's in trouble if a really quick player gets a start on him.

Hanley's surprisingly fast BTW (once he gets going).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Not these days I'd say.

Krul / Fahrmann, doesn't really matter which one.   

Aarons, Zimm, Hanley and Lewis (gives better balance to left side although Byram no problem)

Trybull, Rupp............. we can't play Vrancic in this position, especially away from home, too lightweight and inconsistent unless we had a beast of a DM and we haven't got one of them!     Burnley last week was a low intensity match, completely different game!  

Buendia, Duda, Cantwell 

Pukki.  

........there's definitely something brewing with this squad.... something that suggests were staying up!   

Subs, Fahrmann, Byram, Tettey, and then from ..... Hernandez, Vrancic, McLean, Leitner, Drmic or Idah.

We have to win this one though.   OTBC

• Like 1

Sorry, have to disagree. Now Vrancic is lightweight as well as immobile? He and Buendia are the class in our side. Todd isn't far behind and experience will make him similar. But the rest are very similar to each other and do not really to bring a spark to the game.

Even Championship and L1 teams knock it about instead of launching it and its those with flair that give a side that real chance when everything looks lost. 

And I'm sure Rupp is "mobile" and "heavyweight" enough to cover.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, king canary said:

Not these days I'd say.

It's probably not as good as it was but I still see mobility (and physicality) as his main strength. His technical ability, incisive passing and shooting (a worldie once in a blue moon aside) is not why he is in the team. I think his ability to cover lots of ground - not necessarily at high speed -  is the reason he is there. If Trybull (who in my opinion is notably immobile but sound most other ways a defensive midfielder should be) had the mobility and physicality of Tettey, I don't think Tettey would get a game here.

18 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Sorry, have to disagree. Now Vrancic is lightweight as well as immobile? He and Buendia are the class in our side. Todd isn't far behind and experience will make him similar. But the rest are very similar to each other and do not really to bring a spark to the game.

Even Championship and L1 teams knock it about instead of launching it and its those with flair that give a side that real chance when everything looks lost. 

And I'm sure Rupp is "mobile" and "heavyweight" enough to cover.

this isn't clear but think your inference is that Vrancic should play....... He may have some quality but the problem is that he simply can't get on the ball often enough to make an impact in EPL matches because of the intensity...... and of course when he's not on the ball, he's ineffective and not offering us a defensive cover.    This is more so the case away from home and we can't carry players.... would sooner see us tight in midfield and get the ball to our 3 creative players further forward and Buendia, Cantwell and (it appears from the positive start) Duda have acclimatised to the EPL far more so than any others.    They have become undroppable!   

So the crucial positions are the two central midfielders and sadly this area is the main reason we are anywhere near relegation.  Hopefully Rupp can give us some legs and quality alongside either Trybull or Tettey as we don't have other options it seems.   

That said, I would consider playing Godfrey at DM when he is back as he would be a better option than what we have.      

Krul

Byram       Zimmerman       Hanley      Lewis

Trybul          Vrancic

Buendia(if fit)/Rupp             Duda              Cantwell

Pukki 

in my opinion we lack width playing byram left back, who does not deserve to be dropped after his fantastic performance v Burnley and the same goes for lewis.

I'd start Vrancic every home game personally, unless maybe against the top 4. But away from home, even though i'm one of his biggest fans, I'm not so sure.

• Like 1

I’ve put Teemu in my fantasy team this week, especially as Mark Lawrenson has predicted a 2-0 loss for us 😄