Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Team for Newcastle

16 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Sorry Lakeyo but you are definitely  wrong, apart from the fact that Hernandez is more direct, directly up a blind alley  with little or no end product at this level. Todders is a vastly more productive  player in goals, assists, passes completed etc. Argos for  us at the moment is an impact player. He may improve,  he may not, I dont see it myself. He has potential,  butcwe dont have time  for him  to get up to speed mentally with his  footy brain...if he really has one. Todd is already using his,  that's  how come he's attracting  attention and Argos isn't. 

But we aren't winning games!  Todd has contributed and is a great player for us.....but we aren't winning enough!  With Vrancic pulling strings and with Rupp and Duda providing a bit more solidity, the simple fact is we cannot incorporate all the players - and directness is something we need to improve on.

It is clear there will be need to be changes to the line up with Rupp and Duda making good impacts since they arrived - and although every player we have is able to be in the team imo, including Todd - we need to find a winning formula, one way or the other.  Vrancic Tettey, Duda with Rupp or Buendia is a potent looking line up and Todd, for all his running may - imo - not get as much game time.

I may, as you say, be wrong, but we haven't been winning games and the one sure thing is that the team will change between now and the end of the season.  We need a winning formula.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray said:

Cos there were no substitutes and Sir Alf went with the players in form. A tough choice but he got it right on the night.

No subs would’ve suited Farke!

Krul,

Aarons, Zimmerman, Hanley, Lewis,

Rupp, Vrancic

Buendia, Duda, McClean

Pukki

Subs - Fahrman, Byram, Amadou, Tettey. Cantwell, Hernandez, Drmic

Exceptionally hard on Byram, Cantwell and Tettey but I think Lewis is more effective attacking than Byram and balances that side of the pitch with his left foot. Rupp appears to be good at winning the ball and protecting the defence, but he can actually do something with it too, whereas Tettey - whilst defensively brilliant this season - isn't the most natural technically. McClean in because if Cantwell was, we would look very lightweight and also weak aerially (which it still does).

It may be suicide with Rupp and Vrancic in the deeper midfield roles, but I feel we need to control the ball and attack Newcastle.

I'm happy with (mostly) whatever Farke does, but for the love of god make Vrancic take all set-pieces, he is by far our best at them. I have no idea why we insist on letting Buendia take them when Vrancic - who clearly has significantly better delivery - is on the pitch.

Krul

Aarons Hanley Zimmermann Byram

Tettey  Kenny

Emi Duda Cantwell

Pukki

Subs

Fahrmann, Lewis, Amadou,  Hernandez, Vrancic, Rupp, Drmic 

Best XI every time it is available,  as good a win as it was v Burnley this is a game we need to get something from. Toon will be physical and Kenny provides an aerial shield (one of toons few strengths)and has the legs to help cover the breaks of Saint-Maxim and the influence shelvey can have;  that is what Mario struggles with although leaving him out does come at a cost of his creativity;  our key weakness weakness remains the CB/DCM roles so we need something as a shield.

43 minutes ago, ZLF said:

Krul

Aarons Hanley Zimmermann Byram

Tettey  Kenny

Emi Duda Cantwell

Pukki

Subs

Fahrmann, Lewis, Amadou,  Hernandez, Vrancic, Rupp, Drmic 

Best XI every time it is available,  as good a win as it was v Burnley this is a game we need to get something from. Toon will be physical and Kenny provides an aerial shield (one of toons few strengths)and has the legs to help cover the breaks of Saint-Maxim and the influence shelvey can have;  that is what Mario struggles with although leaving him out does come at a cost of his creativity;  our key weakness weakness remains the CB/DCM roles so we need something as a shield.

Yes, probably that. Not getting overrun to begin with is vital. 

So long as we give any subs (Mario, Onel, Rupp) time to influence the game if needs be.

• Like 2

This is Game 1 of 14 games where we need to win at least 8.

Newcastle is one of those that we have a better chance of winning.

Therefore we really need to be going for a win and the team should selected accordingly

Krul

Byram Hanley Zimmerman Lewis

Aarons Mclean

Buendia Vrancic Catnwell

Pukki

Edited by Making Plans

Krul,

Aarons, Hanley, Zimm, Byram

Vrancic, Tettey,

Rupp, Duda, Buendia,

Pukki.

Cantwell, Hernandez, Drmic off the bench if we need a goal 2nd half.

13 hours ago, lake district canary said:

But we aren't winning games!  Todd has contributed and is a great player for us.....but we aren't winning enough!  With Vrancic pulling strings and with Rupp and Duda providing a bit more solidity, the simple fact is we cannot incorporate all the players - and directness is something we need to improve on.

It is clear there will be need to be changes to the line up with Rupp and Duda making good impacts since they arrived - and although every player we have is able to be in the team imo, including Todd - we need to find a winning formula, one way or the other.  Vrancic Tettey, Duda with Rupp or Buendia is a potent looking line up and Todd, for all his running may - imo - not get as much game time.

I may, as you say, be wrong, but we haven't been winning games and the one sure thing is that the team will change between now and the end of the season.  We need a winning formula.

There's no point having a 'direct' player if that player isn't delivering anything with a final ball. anyone can run up and down the wing and be 'direct'. I'm much more interested in whats most likely to get us to score goals. For me, thats a player who's regularly assisted or scored goals all season.

3 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Yes, probably that. Not getting overrun to begin with is vital. 

So long as we give any subs (Mario, Onel, Rupp) time to influence the game if needs be.

When has Farke given subs time? Whether we're up, down or even on Saturday, don't expect a sub on the 75 minute at the earliest.

11 minutes ago, hogesar said:

There's no point having a 'direct' player if that player isn't delivering anything with a final ball. anyone can run up and down the wing and be 'direct'. I'm much more interested in whats most likely to get us to score goals. For me, thats a player who's regularly assisted or scored goals all season.

That's all very well, but we haven't been scoring enough goals or winning enough games. Hernandez is the type of player that is determined to penetrate a defence by running at it - we don't have enough of those kind of players. Aarons can do it on the right - Lewis can do it on the left but hasn't been doing quite enough of it (imo). So if your wing backs offer that, all well and good, but if your midfield play is too tippy tappy, rarely getting anywhere and us not scoring enough, we are not going to start winning enough games.

So imo we simply HAVE to start being a bit more direct within the framework of farkeball. Yes, keep the ball moving like we do, but like on Saturday against Burnley, with penetration.  Hernandez was always available on the left, keeping the right back of Burnley on his toes the whole match - does Cantwell do that?  The overload on the left with Hernandez and Lewis was a key part of that match. Same on the right with Rupp and Byram.  With Vrancic and Stiepermann (Duda) in the middle pulling the strings it was almost the perfect team performance in the way we created so many clear cut chances.

I'll be happy if either Cantwell or Hernandez plays in the next game, they will most likely both feature during the 90 minutes, but I think the Burnley match was a turning point. We now have Vrancic, Duda and Rupp all look really good - and if we assume Buendia plays when fit, then we will have plenty of excellent midfielders - and too many out and out midfielders on the pitch is not likely to help us score the goals we need. Cantwell has done great but he doesn't often run at defenders with pace.  I want to see attacking football with plenty of penetration and I believe Duda and Rupp will help deliver that alongside Hernandez. He is that man who is a match winner on his day. Not enough of them this season, I grant you, but he has it in him.  If we can be as effective a team as we have been all season without Cantwell then I would rather see Onel on the left - and out and out winger, not a link man....unless Todd can be more effective more often. Simply put, I think Todd has to up his game, even more than he has done so far this season.

Farke always throws in a surprise or two, so who knows if Cantwell will play or not, however the player you are writing off Lakey is considered in some quarters as better than Maddison. If reports are to be be believed Liverpool are one of his suitors for ridiculous money. He scores goals, he is getting stronger by the week, he runs at players ( something that terrifies defences ) and most of all he is a potential match winner ( as is Emi ). I can only assume that you have now written off our chances of staying up and should be planning for next year by not giving our two most valuable players game time.

1 hour ago, Making Plans said:

Therefore we really need to be going for a win and the team should selected accordingly

Krul

Aarons Mclean

Buendia Vrancic Catnwell

Pukki

We'll need at least 41 points to stay up? Do you think this because the top of the league isn't grabbing as many points from the rest of the bottom dwellers this year? I still believe that 38 will be the magic number, time will tell though.

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

That's all very well, but we haven't been scoring enough goals or winning enough games. Hernandez is the type of player that is determined to penetrate a defence by running at it - we don't have enough of those kind of players. Aarons can do it on the right - Lewis can do it on the left but hasn't been doing quite enough of it (imo). So if your wing backs offer that, all well and good, but if your midfield play is too tippy tappy, rarely getting anywhere and us not scoring enough, we are not going to start winning enough games.

So imo we simply HAVE to start being a bit more direct within the framework of farkeball. Yes, keep the ball moving like we do, but like on Saturday against Burnley, with penetration.  Hernandez was always available on the left, keeping the right back of Burnley on his toes the whole match - does Cantwell do that?  The overload on the left with Hernandez and Lewis was a key part of that match. Same on the right with Rupp and Byram.  With Vrancic and Stiepermann (Duda) in the middle pulling the strings it was almost the perfect team performance in the way we created so many clear cut chances.

I'll be happy if either Cantwell or Hernandez plays in the next game, they will most likely both feature during the 90 minutes, but I think the Burnley match was a turning point. We now have Vrancic, Duda and Rupp all look really good - and if we assume Buendia plays when fit, then we will have plenty of excellent midfielders - and too many out and out midfielders on the pitch is not likely to help us score the goals we need. Cantwell has done great but he doesn't often run at defenders with pace.  I want to see attacking football with plenty of penetration and I believe Duda and Rupp will help deliver that alongside Hernandez. He is that man who is a match winner on his day. Not enough of them this season, I grant you, but he has it in him.  If we can be as effective a team as we have been all season without Cantwell then I would rather see Onel on the left - and out and out winger, not a link man....unless Todd can be more effective more often. Simply put, I think Todd has to up his game, even more than he has done so far this season.

This completely contradicts lots of your recent posts where you have told us all we play superb football and should have won lots of these games. Now suddenly we play tippy tippy football. Can I assume you are covering all bases where if we stay up you tell us you told us so, or if we go down you tell us I told you if Farke didn’t change the team we would be relegated. 

3 minutes ago, Well b back said:

This completely contradicts lots of your recent posts where you have told us all we play superb football and should have won lots of these games. Now suddenly we play tippy tippy football. Can I assume you are covering all bases where if we stay up you tell us you told us so, or if we go down you tell us I told you if Farke didn’t change the team we would be relegated. 

Doesn't contradict anything I said in the slightest.  Yes, we have been playing excellent football and should have won more games....but the point is we didn't win them!!!!!!!!!!  

Also "tippy tappy" football is not a derogartory term - but passing the ball around too much can be a problem if your team isn't scoring enough goals - and we don't. 

As for your last sentence, don't be ridiculous.

43 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Toddy's the new Snoddy!

• Haha 1

As I said in another thread, Onel was not always available on Saturday, Vrancic was frustrated a couple of times at least because there was nobody making themselves available on the left.

Cantwell played against Newcastle at home when we dominated possession and won 3-1. Cantwell suits our style of play better than Hernandez.

12 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Toddy's the new Snoddy!

Ha! Not quite. I really like Toddy. His personality and desire to improve are second to none, I just think he has a way to go yet and if we are to put up a challenge this season we need to see him take more responsibility on the ball.  The crunch is coming and we don't want just nice football that looks good on the eye - we want goals and we want results!  I could say the similar about Emi - he needs to do more in terms of goals. 

I would be quite happy to even see the same team as played agaisnt Burnley - they were that good. No Emi, no Cantwell, not even Pukki, but a purposeful more direct version of Farkeball that yielded a result.  We need that.

I'd go with

Fahrmann

Aarons, Hanley, Zim, Byram

Vrancic, Mclean

buendia, Duda, cantwell,

Pukki

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Ha! Not quite. I really like Toddy. His personality and desire to improve are second to none, I just think he has a way to go yet and if we are to put up a challenge this season we need to see him take more responsibility on the ball.  The crunch is coming and we don't want just nice football that looks good on the eye - we want goals and we want results!  I could say the similar about Emi - he needs to do more in terms of goals. 

What? Were you at Tottenham? Do you realise that 75% of the goal-scoring openings we created were instigated by Cantwell? Plus two shots which whizzed wide, and one which probably would have ended in the net had it not hit Teemu on the heel. 

Todd had a mare against Spurs and subsequently Farke said he had a minor hammy.

When Onel plays, it's not unusual for him to have two players marking him when he gets the ball. Other teams see him as a threat.

Farke will almost certainly revert to the team he started at Tottenham and make subs at 85 mins.

Plan A, Plan A, Plan A

Judging from the match commentary and later comments, it seems as if Vrancic had a great game at Burnley. He had a good first half against Palace providing some clever defence splitting passes.But then disappeared for the second half. He is a good footballer but I am not sure he is the right man for an away game at Newcastle where he will be confronted by strong athletic midfielders. In fact a typical set up for the Premier League. Having seen little of the two newcomers coupled with the fact that I have found Hernandez a bit disappointing this season, a bit difficult to suggest what the line up should be. Cantwell has his critics on this forum but at least he has scored a few goals.

People have very short memories. If Vrancic plays at Newcastle and we see the version of him we got at Man U, we’re in trouble.

Think ZLF has nailed it. Buendia is sure to start, and I can't see Cantwell being benched. Duda to start also, supporting Pukki. McLean has earned his start alongside Tettey in the area that will probably decide the result. Great that Vrancic & Rupp are pushing, the bench has been a bit of a weakness this season and competition should keep everyone on their toes. The players certainly haven't thrown the towel in yet, thankfully,  so at least a point is necessary. Shelvey usually delivers against us so will need to be marshalled. 

Sorry, I just don't get this love in with McLean. I have watched every game last season and this season and I cannot recall a single game where Kenny has influenced a game as much as Vrancic did on Saturday.  In my view, Vrancic at Man U was just like McLean is every other game. 

Vrancic's display was a masterful performance and he is the king of body swerve, something we don't see enough of these days. He was simply brilliant. If that performance doesn't get him into the team on Saturday, nothing will - he was worth the entrance money on his own.

Heard from a reliable source that Mario is unavailable on Saturday as he has a previous engagement in his role as Bosnian Ambassador for the Ministry of Sily Walks (Wooden top Style Running Department.)

18 hours ago, Making Plans said:

Krul

Aarons Mclean

Buendia Vrancic Catnwell

Pukki

I cannot, for the life of me, see a world where we would need to play Max in a deep CM role over the other options we currently have.

This must be either madness or an error?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Vrancic's display was a masterful performance and he is the king of body swerve, something we don't see enough of these days. He was simply brilliant. If that performance doesn't get him into the team on Saturday, nothing will - he was worth the entrance money on his own.

Vrancic also looked very easily bypassed in previous games- him and Tettey as a central midfield is just not mobile enough for me.