lake district canary

Team for Newcastle

Judging from recent performances, injuries, form, new players etc -

Krul

Aarons    Zimmermann Hanley  Byram

Tettey  Vrancic

Rupp                 Duda          Hernandez

Pukki

Even if Buendia and Cantwell are fit, there are players who have just proved themselves in the cup game where for large spells they were simply excellent, in Vrancic's case, brilliant.   Trybull was excellent too against Burnley, but Alex has been excellent too in recent matches.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Judging from recent performances, injuries, form, new players etc -

Krul

Aarons    Zimmermann Hanley  Byram

Tettey  Vrancic

Rupp                 Duda          Hernandez

Pukki

Even if Buendia and Cantwell are fit, there are players who have just proved themselves in the cup game where for large spells they were simply excellent, in Vrancic's case, brilliant.   Trybull was excellent too against Burnley, but Alex has been excellent too in recent matches.

Dropping Buendía and Cantwell for such a vital match would be insane; they're the only midfielders we've got who have contributed goals and assists. If they're fit, they start... simple as that. The rest of the team looks good to me, but Buendía and Cantwell in for Rupp and Hernandez.

• Like 3

Hernandez did not do enough yesterday to oust Cantwell. Rupp was very good but he is a completely different player to Buendia, more physical but less trickery. We might give the ball away less with him so it might not be a bad idea to put him in for Buendia

• Like 1

Just now, Mr Angry said:

Hernandez did not do enough yesterday to oust Cantwell.

They are different players and I think we look better with the directness of Hernandez. We need to put the fear into Newcastle early on and keep them on the back foot, Hernandez can help that imo. 

Hernandez might be a half decent player if he actually keep upright.

No wonder he fell down the stairs.

In my view he is a liability.

He's got an awful lot to prove before he gets close to starting a game

Edited by Making Plans

3 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Hernandez might be a half decent player if he actually keep upright.

No wonder he fell down the stairs.

In my view he is a liability.

He's got an awful lot to prove before he gets close to starting a game

The point is one of directness. Do we want a whole group of players who are good at passing the ball around or someone who is prepared to run at defenders towards the goal. Good as Cantwell is, he does not do that.

Krul

Aarons Zimmermann Hanley Byram

Trybull Vrancic

Buendía Duda Cantwell

Pukki

Subs: Fahrmann, Lewis, Hernandez, Rupp, Drmic, Tettey, Mclean.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

How many games have we won?

You can suggest any random player ahead of Cantwell and then when somebody comes back and says 'no, Cantwell's a better player' you can respond with 'how many games have we won?'

It's not a sensible or logical argument. 

• Like 3

Krul

Tettey Vrancic

Buendía Duda Cantwell

Pukki

I know we beat Burnley but only Vrancic really proved he deserves another start in the prem for me from those not currently regulars.

I suspect McClean gets the nod though.

56 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The point is one of directness. Do we want a whole group of players who are good at passing the ball around or someone who is prepared to run at defenders towards the goal. Good as Cantwell is, he does not do that.

I think the reason that Onel plays from the bench is that he's better against tiring legs. Cantwell is more of a team player and links with other players more effectively, which is better suited to the possession game that Farke prefers.

• Like 1

Färhmann deserves a mention. Probably won't start, but deserves a look.

If cantwell and Emi are healthy, they're in. Would like to see Vrancic alongside Tettey as well.

Edited by BaltimoreBird

57 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

How many games have we won?

4-and Todd started in all of them 😉

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Krul

Tettey Vrancic

Buendía Duda Cantwell

Pukki

I know we beat Burnley but only Vrancic really proved he deserves another start in the prem for me from those not currently regulars.

I suspect McClean gets the nod though.

If Vrancic isn't in the starting 11, I will feel the urge to poke Farke in the eye.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

Same starting eleven as v Burnley. 

Not the best players but perhaps the most effective formula. 

Seriously 

26 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Seriously 

Yes, why change a winning team? 

Why were we better without Maddison and why didn't Jimmy Greaves play in the World Cup Final?

Cos there were no substitutes and Sir Alf went with the players in form. A tough choice but he got it right on the night.

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

You can suggest any random player ahead of Cantwell and then when somebody comes back and says 'no, Cantwell's a better player' you can respond with 'how many games have we won?'

It's not a sensible or logical argument. 

We have only won four games this season and the reason we haven't won more - imo - is that we are not always as direct as we need to be. Hernandez isn't a random player either.  He is the direct competition for Cantwell in the team and the two are different in style. Cantwell is a great link player but too many link players leads to too much fannying around and not enough impact on the goal.   We still dominate play when Hernandez in the team and he is direct and can be trouble for any defence.

• Like 1

Also, we need to take more shots from outside the box rather than trying to pass the ball into the net, but not Tettey!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

We have only won four games this season and the reason we haven't won more - imo - is that we are not always as direct as we need to be. Hernandez isn't a random player either.  He is the direct competition for Cantwell in the team and the two are different in style. Cantwell is a great link player but too many link players leads to too much fannying around and not enough impact on the goal.   We still dominate play when Hernandez in the team and he is direct and can be trouble for any defence.

Sorry Lakeyo but you are definitely  wrong, apart from the fact that Hernandez is more direct, directly up a blind alley  with little or no end product at this level. Todders is a vastly more productive  player in goals, assists, passes completed etc. Argos for  us at the moment is an impact player. He may improve,  he may not, I dont see it myself. He has potential,  butcwe dont have time  for him  to get up to speed mentally with his  footy brain...if he really has one. Todd is already using his,  that's  how come he's attracting  attention and Argos isn't. 

LDC doesn't pick Cantwell for any of his potential teams. Previously he said he gives the ball away too much now he says he's a great link player. 

Hernandez hasn't been so good this season but needs a run in the team while Cantwell gets back to fitness. 

Vrancic has to start for me.

I've never been Cantwell's biggest fan, but hard to make an argument that he shouldn't be in the starting 11 when fit based on current form - he's come on massively as a player this season.

Edited by kick it off

12 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Vrancic has to start for me.

I've never been Cantwell's biggest fan, but hard to make an argument that he shouldn't be in the starting 11 when fit based on current form - he's come on massively as a player this season.

Vrancic has to start. Cantwell is a number 10 not a winger. We need direct quick breaks with solid strong players to stay up. Hernandez proved a really strong outlet at Burnley, but we need strong deep lying midfield to support him as he’s a woeful defensively, as is Cantwell. Buendia and Vrancic are magic and just need to play through them and Pukki, with rest of team supporting them... that’s the formula for 7+ more wins

Edited by BarcelonaCanary

For the first time this season I feel spoilt for choice.

Duda looks class. Rupp looks intelligent, strong & combative. Onel showed why he can be such a threat to oppositions. Drmic looks like a real talent. Could Ralf actually be better than Tim??

Vrancic ... well ...

But the whole team played well against Spurs.

So who to choose ...

Think I'll leave this one to the coach.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ron obvious said:

For the first time this season I feel spoilt for choice.

Duda looks class. Rupp looks intelligent, strong & combative. Onel showed why he can be such a threat to oppositions. Drmic looks like a real talent. Could Ralf actually be better than Tim??

Vrancic ... well ...

But the whole team played well against Spurs.

So who to choose ...

Think I'll leave this one to the coach.

It’s come at a good time!! Have to aim for 4 points from next 2 games!!