Sign in to follow this  
hps2031a

Ben Gibson Burnley

4 minutes ago, hps2031a said:

Ben Gibson Burnley On loan, with a view to a permanent deal in the summer.

If true that would cost us several million.

2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

If true that would cost us several million.

Not sure it would, hasn’t been playing much recently has he? Not sure he’s done much since leaving Boro?

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

Not sure it would, hasn’t been playing much recently has he? Not sure he’s done much since leaving Boro?

No, but he is only now just 27 and only half way through a four-year contact and supposedly cost £15m. I would be surprised if Burnley didn't want at least around half that.

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

No, but he is only now just 27 and only half way through a four-year contact and supposedly cost £15m. I would be surprised if Burnley didn't want at least around half that.

Without playing for the last two seasons, I can’t see him being worth much more than we paid for Byram? Anyone know why he’s not played? Is he just another Raggett lots of lower league potential but not good enough at this level? 

14 minutes ago, Indy said:

Without playing for the last two seasons, I can’t see him being worth much more than we paid for Byram? Anyone know why he’s not played? Is he just another Raggett lots of lower league potential but not good enough at this level? 

Indy, I think the Byram fee was a bit of a one-off, for whatever reason. I have no idea but if Gibson has had a run of career-threatening injuries I could imagine we might get him dirt cheap, but this isn't like Raggett. If we really are interested in Gibson it will be on the assumption we are in the Championship, and he has proved himself at that level.

34 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Indy, I think the Byram fee was a bit of a one-off, for whatever reason. I have no idea but if Gibson has had a run of career-threatening injuries I could imagine we might get him dirt cheap, but this isn't like Raggett. If we really are interested in Gibson it will be on the assumption we are in the Championship, and he has proved himself at that level.

I don’t get that, we have two potentially outstanding youngsters in Famewo and Bushiri for next season, unless we’re getting rid of Hanley and Klose or even have an agreement for Godfrey to be sold in the summer, I’m not sure a defender who’s not played competitive football in two seasons is the answer? Why hasn’t he gone out on loan? Why hasn’t he played more games for Burnley? I’m a little lost to what’s going on with Gibson? Anyone know if he’s been kidnapped by aliens for the past two season?

Gibson went for a lot of Burnley's cash and has played one game. Admittedly, they do have three CBs in Mee, Tarkowski and Long ahead of him. 

It is very hard to scout a player who doesn't play apart from sub and I doubt a CB will get on too much.

Boro will be the favourites.

11 minutes ago, Indy said:

I don’t get that, we have two potentially outstanding youngsters in Famewo and Bushiri for next season, unless we’re getting rid of Hanley and Klose or even have an agreement for Godfrey to be sold in the summer, I’m not sure a defender who’s not played competitive football in two seasons is the answer? Why hasn’t he gone out on loan? Why hasn’t he played more games for Burnley? I’m a little lost to what’s going on with Gibson? Anyone know if he’s been kidnapped by aliens for the past two season?

I am not at all convinced we're in for him. I was just musing on the possible fee. I still think we would have to pay in the millions for him but as you say it does rather hinge on why he has hardly played, when at one time when with Boro he got into the England squad.

16 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I am not at all convinced we're in for him. I was just musing on the possible fee. I still think we would have to pay in the millions for him but as you say it does rather hinge on why he has hardly played, when at one time when with Boro he got into the England squad.

Yes sorry Purple I wasn’t having a dig, just appears really strange as this is one area, we have been short in quality, so someone who hasn’t played in two years just doesn’t make sense especially as he is 27, could take a few months to get back to match sharpness and he won’t get that here.

33 minutes ago, Indy said:

“Potentially outstanding” - says who? I’m potentially outstanding, but there would need to be some sort of miracle involved.

1 hour ago, Indy said:

I'm not sure if there's any truth in the rumours, but that's the second homegrown centre back we've been linked with (after Joe Worrell). I'm not sure if Famewo and Bushiri are Raggett style transfers (us seeing an undervalued player who we think we can develop)

With the seven homegrown players needed in an eighteen man EFL squad, and with only Krul, Aarons, Lewis, Byram, Godfrey, Hanley, Cantwell (and soon to be Idah) qualifying. I wouldn't be surprised if several of them left in the summer.

I believe that Mee and Tarkowski have been in fine form, and Gibson hasn't been able to displace them.

• Like 1

🙂
28 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

I'm not sure if there's any truth in the rumours, but that's the second homegrown centre back we've been linked with (after Joe Worrell). I'm not sure if Famewo and Bushiri are Raggett style transfers (us seeing an undervalued player who we think we can develop)

With the seven homegrown players needed in an eighteen man EFL squad, and with only Krul, Aarons, Lewis, Byram, Godfrey, Hanley, Cantwell (and soon to be Idah) qualifying. I wouldn't be surprised if several of them left in the summer.

I believe that Mee and Tarkowski have been in fine form, and Gibson hasn't been able to displace them.

That's a very good point. And of those eight you've mentioned, four are likely to be targeted by Prem clubs. Could be a very considerable turnover of players in the summer...

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

“Potentially outstanding” - says who? I’m potentially outstanding, but there would need to be some sort of miracle involved.

Well they both have the advantage over you of already being professional footballers Nuff Said 😉 (I am making an assumption here that you aren't a professional footballer). 

In the case of Bushiri he has already played for his country (Belgium) at Under 21 level so hopefully there is at least a bit of potential there. 

Edited by Thirsty Lizard

The only players I would say are guaranteed to be next year are Krul, Zimmerman, Trybull, Rupp, Stiepermann, Hernandez and Idah. Everyone else either falls in the category of being attractive to a Premiership team, or could be moved on.

Edited by Icecream Snow

27 minutes ago, Surfer said:

I'd add Byram and Vrancic to your list, but point taken. 

And McGovern FWIW.