Sign in to follow this  
yellowandgreen

Best bottom of the league team ever

Great win yesterday. Watching match of the day and think they pretty much summed up our season. We have been great to watch but haven't taken enough of our chances.

I think this is why most Norwich fans aren't that upset about how the season has gone so far. I'm loving it. Maybe a cup run is just what we need. Have to admit I would love to see us win it.

COYY

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, yellowandgreen said:

I think this is why most Norwich fans aren't that upset about how the season has gone so far. I'm loving it. Maybe a cup run is just what we need. Have to admit I would love to see us win it.

COYY

I'm not upset about this season because I expected it.... but loving it? Really? You're enjoying playing well, losing every week and VAR screwing us at every opportunity? This is a totally miserable, joyless season. The only good thing about it is that it will be over soon.

16 minutes ago, kick it off said:

I'm not upset about this season because I expected it.... but loving it? Really? You're enjoying playing well, losing every week and VAR screwing us at every opportunity? This is a totally miserable, joyless season. The only good thing about it is that it will be over soon.

I'm upset that we haven't had better results, but the football is very good to watch and that is a consolation.

But joyless? Really?  Good that it soon be over? Even though with some better finishing we could still get out of trouble?  Not thinking Farke's "little miracle" is possible?

I suppose people are going to feel how they are going to feel, but every match is an opportunity to get points and we are not done yet.

Edited by lake district canary

I'm massively frustrated about our inability to turn performances into results and I hate VAR with the utmost passion yet I've never really enjoyed a relegation season more.

The fact I still get to see good football alongside a load of our young players playing on the biggest stage probably has a lot to do with it. That and the knowledge the club is in a great position off the field and the improvement in the work we are doing in the youth groups etc.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Agree with you totally about VAR which is ruining the excitement and atmosphere for everyone though we have also suffered some inexplicably bad decisions which cost us vital points.

But I've certainly enjoyed watching us play good football especially against the relatively small number of Premiership teams that also play good football. Obviously it is less enjoyable against the negative sides that make up of much of the Premiership but we always knew that would be the case. The entertainment value is rarely as good as the Championship provides but I've still enjoyed watching us (until VAR intervenes), even if we haven't got the results we've deserved.

11 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Joyless, really???......

Maybe Man City at home was joyless, what do you say Kick it Off? 

• Haha 1

It has been frustrating, certainly, but only occasionally joyless. We are so close being a team that has sufficient consistency to get the wins we need.

The frustration stems from sheer bad luck, too many costly mistakes, a really rough deal from VAR, and the fact that even at our best we will still suffer some defeats.

If we maintain our consistency the season could yet turn.  This is no time to give up hope as our fate rests largely on the home games, and a confident crowd can make a crucial difference to the team.

• Like 9

Fail to see the joy in playing well and not getting what we deserve every week, whilst simultaneously having every goal overshadowed by the spectre of VAR.  Man City was a great result, OK a solitary day of joy, but I fail to see why everyone thinks this season is so brilliant? We're bottom of the league with a chasm to even get out of the relegation zone, we've won 4 and lost 15 after repeatedly throwing away leads.

Not unexpected and I'm pretty laissez-faire about the situation we're in - I'm looking forward to going down and getting out of the clutches of VAR, and back into a league where the football is more entertaining, there's an actual competition for the top spots rather than the same 2 or 3 teams every year etc etc.

I'm not totally miserable about the situation, I just don't understand people wanking themselves silly over a season where our fantastic group of players have regularly been undeservedly beaten and you can't celebrate a goal because you know VAR will find a way to overturn it.

31 minutes ago, Pugin said:

If we maintain our consistency the season could yet turn.  This is no time to give up hope as our fate rests largely on the home games, and a confident crowd can make a crucial difference to the team.

I don't understand why people are hoping we can stay up? So we can have another season where we get beat almost every week, VAR ruins every game and  the best we could realistically hope to achieve is to scrape mid-table.

We are down, and have been down for several months... Anyone thinking we're going to win 8 out of 14 when we have managed 4 out of 24 is deluding themselves.

The odds obviously say we will go down, nothing wrong with a bit of hope though, it’s a key ingredient of being a fan imo. I hope we will win every game no matter who we are playing, the realist in me kicks in when we lose and helps ease the pain. I still enjoy the experience though. Watching our young side play against the best has been terrific this season.

It’s  not all about the table, if we do stay up it will be an even bigger challenge next time round. As long as we keep playing decent enjoyable footy that’s fine by me, the misery kicks in when we lose and haven’t even given it a go, that’s the pits for me.

Edited by Van wink

So you’d rather watch a game in a league where blatant cheating goes unpunished eg Steven Fletcher scooping up the ball with his hand and scoring?

• Like 1

This relegation has been far more enjoyable than the one under Hughton;  looking at the table we are in a worse position but playing much better attacking entertaining football and the is still some hope because we have remained competitive in most games.  As Toon, soton and burnley have shown a couple of wins and a little lady luck rapidly transforms the table.   However the odds are increasingly against us with every dropped point..

Should we get relegated the re-promotion battle will remain just as hard;  star players will leave,  remaining players will have to quickly leave behind any relegation blues (it affects every side getting relegated)  with little time for the newer faces to bed in by the time the most competitive league the world starts its new season.   Getting the replacements right, especially at CB & DCM,  will be crucial - although I do trust the recruitment team to have more hits than misses.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, kick it off said:

I don't understand why people are hoping we can stay up? So we can have another season where we get beat almost every week, VAR ruins every game and  the best we could realistically hope to achieve is to scrape mid-table.

Staying up would help the confidence levels going into next season and being able to turn some of those narrow losses into wins, it would help us keep players rather than them being picked off at the end of the season, it would help attract new players on which we could spend a bit more money and it would improve the club's financial situation - and most of all it would give us fans a huge boost to get that achievement.  And.....Leicester, following their great escape in 2015, won the title the following season.

I see  people bringing out this "young side" argument again to add to their enjoyment of watching us lose games. And using it as an excuse for those players to continue to make errors, because apparently young players do that. This is the biggest "fake news" of the Farke/Webber era so far. We are not a particularly "young" side - our average squad age is about 11th in the Premier League and we field 3 or 4 players 22 or under in many league games - almost every other team does the same. Leicester invariably field at least 6.

The gossip columns are full of 19 to 22 year old European or South American players being valued at £50m plus - ours are nowhere near that level, but because ours are mainly English everyone over-hypes them. Birmingham have a 16 year old valued at £30m - they are calling him their best player since Redmond, who everyone also went nuts about because he is English, even though he is not good enough to worry the better teams.

What we have is an Academy which for the last few years has produced much better players than we have produced before - it's good by our own standards but still doesn't remotely compare with the quality which the top teams have at youth level. The best young players actually don't make the errors which ours make.

4 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

So you’d rather watch a game in a league where blatant cheating goes unpunished eg Steven Fletcher scooping up the ball with his hand and scoring?

Yes. Or in that league where Grant Holt scored goals for fun after running over centre backs, which would be disallowed by VAR.

1 hour ago, ZLF said:

This relegation has been far more enjoyable than the one under Hughton;  looking at the table we are in a worse position but playing much better attacking entertaining football and the is still some hope because we have remained competitive in most games.  As Toon, soton and burnley have shown a couple of wins and a little lady luck rapidly transforms the table.   However the odds are increasingly against us with every dropped point..

Should we get relegated the re-promotion battle will remain just as hard;  star players will leave,  remaining players will have to quickly leave behind any relegation blues (it affects every side getting relegated)  with little time for the newer faces to bed in by the time the most competitive league the world starts its new season.   Getting the replacements right, especially at CB & DCM,  will be crucial - although I do trust the recruitment team to have more hits than misses.

We never got relegated under Hughton. 😉

• Like 1

Apart from VAR, we have to say we have got what we deserve. We should have had more goals from decent chances and our lack of threat, apart from yesterday obviously, at set pieces is a bit of a worry.

We knew from last season that defending would be a problem.

But the style of football and emergence of a squad of skillful players has meant that apart from the odd occasion, we haven't embarrassed ourselves or lost with a whimper.

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

I see  people bringing out this "young side" argument again to add to their enjoyment of watching us lose games. And using it as an excuse for those players to continue to make errors, because apparently young players do that. This is the biggest "fake news" of the Farke/Webber era so far. We are not a particularly "young" side - our average squad age is about 11th in the Premier League and we field 3 or 4 players 22 or under in many league games - almost every other team does the same. 

I don’t follow your argument, just because other teams field young players that’s got nothing to do with us, all I’m interested in and enjoy is watching the way OUR young players develop in this league.

As for using age as an excuse, I’ve not made any excuses and certainly not tried to blame results on youth.

Interesting that Paul Hawksbee on talkSPORT (a Spurs fan) described us  on Thursday as by the far the best bottom team he’d ever seen in terms of our passing, attacking play and approach to the game, citing naivety in both boxes as our issue. That would be my main criticism this season, we just haven’t looked streetwise enough of the time. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Most frustrating season, in that we’re so close to being a team that could survive, but a lack of investment and some tactical naivety has cost us so many points from winning positions and never seen us really get back into a game once we’re behind.

6 hours ago, kick it off said:

Fully agree K.I.O.  I'm not enjoying it either. To many men against boys performances for me. You could write the script for practically every game.

Some flashy moves from us until the big boys take over. Is this recent euphoria because a few tv punters have praised our play?.

They haven't actually said we should have won, just we played well in parts.

The table doesn't lie.

It's comments like this, when pundits are talking us up, that somehow makes it feel even worse than it is.

You could sort of accept our position if we were really really dire and getting tonked on a regular basis and everybody thought we were rubbish.

But we have been competitive, and in contention, in virtually every match bar a couple, we have played some really good football, we have been entertaining and yet we find ourselves adrift of some pretty average teams by PL standards.

We'll probably get relegated but only by a few points and that will hurt because those points could, and should have come our way.

Edited by Making Plans

Danny Murphy on MOTD described us as the best team at the bottom of the league he had seen and when asked about whether we would survive this season said we cannot defend or take enough of our chances and shrugged his shoulders.

45 minutes ago, Mind the gap said:

Fully agree K.I.O.  I'm not enjoying it either. To many men against boys performances for me. You could write the script for practically every game.

Some flashy moves from us until the big boys take over. Is this recent euphoria because a few tv punters have praised our play?.

They haven't actually said we should have won, just we played well in parts.

The table doesn't lie.

Yer, get Pulis in, that'll stop all that football nonsense.

• Haha 1

I love how Farkes 3 seasons of playing the same style of football result in completely different descriptions:

1) Tippy tappy sideways boring rubbish

2) Best football ever witnessed over an entire season

3) flashy, waste of time, ineffective, ridiculous

Reality is, ever since the second half of Farkes first season we've generally played really good attacking football on the floor. It's not always been enough to win games because sometimes the opposition is better, sometimes we dont take our chances, and sometimes we are physically overpowered.

But the style and ethos isnt going to change just because a few Norwich fans think they know better and we need to MIX IT UP GET AT EM AND HIT IT LOOOONG

• Like 1