Sign in to follow this  
Feedthewolf

We've divorced Husband...

6 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Hope there's a good sell-on clause.

If we've got a 20% sell-on clause, we might make enough for a sharing box of Chicken McNuggets.

• Haha 1

I know you have to kiss a few frogs before you find a prince but Webber has kissed a fair few with respect.

4 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

The recruitment approach is starting to look just as hit and miss as it did under Alex Neil 

As opposed to your recent trolling attempts which are exclusively 'miss'. 

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

I know you have to kiss a few frogs before you find a prince but Webber has kissed a fair few with respect.

Considering the paltry budget he's been working with, I'd say there have been a lot more hits than misses. As far as misses go, I'd say Franke, Marshall, Husband, Srbeny, Heise and Watkins have been poor permanent signings, and of those only Franke and Marshall cost us more than a million. Watkins cost us nothing and we turned him for a £1m profit within 12 months.

On the other hand, I'd say Vrancic, Hernandez, Trybull, Zimmermann, Buendia, Krul, Pukki, Hanley, Stiepermann, Leitner and Byram have all been somewhere between decent and excellent.

I can't be bothered to trawl through all Neil's signings, but I doubt his hit rate was nearly that high, and he also spent considerably more money. Factor in the quality young players we've either invested in or brought through the Academy (Neil would never play youth team players, remember), and I think it's fair to say Webber has been relatively successful with his recruitment.

• Like 9

Far more good signings than bad under the current regime, we got promoted last season with a team full of them after all. Even Fergie signed a few duds, that’s football. 

47 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Considering the paltry budget he's been working with, I'd say there have been a lot more hits than misses. As far as misses go, I'd say Franke, Marshall, Husband, Srbeny, Heise and Watkins have been poor permanent signings, and of those only Franke and Marshall cost us more than a million. Watkins cost us nothing and we turned him for a £1m profit within 12 months.

I don't think we can say for definite that we turned a profit of Watkins. We probably bunged the player himself a fair bit to entice him to sign in the first place... And wasn't Srbeny reported at times as having cost us over a million? On balance though, I'd say that the players we've recently signed will bring us in a decent overall amount of transfer profit should it come to it.

48 minutes ago, Grando said:

I don't think we can say for definite that we turned a profit of Watkins. We probably bunged the player himself a fair bit to entice him to sign in the first place... And wasn't Srbeny reported at times as having cost us over a million? On balance though, I'd say that the players we've recently signed will bring us in a decent overall amount of transfer profit should it come to it.

Yeah, fair points there.

Understood that we doubled our money on Srbeny?

Webber has overseen the best recruitment strategy we've had in decades. Especially in context of the current market.

• Like 1

I wouldn't necessarily class Srbeny as a bad signing. My understand was he was a support striker not an out and out goalscorer so never really got a run in his favoured position. Scored a few important goals and was only ever signed as backup. 

But yes, you're always going to get a few duds but the current set up had worked well overall with far more success than not. Krul, Buendia, Pukki, Steipermann (last season), Zimmerman and Vrancic have particularly been fantastic pieces of business for very little money

Srbeny was a decent signing given he was always meant to be backup. He got on with the job, built a slight cult following, scored, never looked lazy when played and can't be faulted for wanting to sign for a team where he is in contention. Wasn't his fault Pukki found such form. Husband on the other hand was always woefully short of talent for this level, I remember him being turned inside out at Fulham. He has found his level. Good luck to him. 

17 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I can't be bothered to trawl through all Neil's signings, but I doubt his hit rate was nearly that high

I'm a bit sad and quite enjoy things like this...

Tony Andreu

Graeme Dorrans

Youssef Mulumbu

Robbie Brady

Jake Kean

Matt Jarvis

Ivo Pinto

Ben Godfrey

Timm Klose

Steven Naismith

James Maddison

Ebou Adams

Sergi Canos

Michael McGovern

Alex Pritchard

Paul Jones

Yanic Wildschut

I would say you could argue the only successes there were Dorrans, Brady, Pinto, Godfrey, Klose, Maddison, McGovern and Pritchard. And of those McGovern only a success because he's proven capable back up, Pinto arguably a success more for what he did off the field than on it, Godfrey only a success long after Neil's reign and Pritchard a success only between serious injuries. Dorrans as well hardly tore up trees, but as a part of that play off squad has to be considered a success.

Alex Neil and David McNally's transfer legacy is probably the poorest since Roeder and his band of loanees that saw us relegated to L1.

Edited by Terminally Yellow

On 25/01/2020 at 14:43, Feedthewolf said:

On the other hand, I'd say Vrancic, Hernandez, Trybull, Zimmermann, Buendia, Krul, Pukki, Hanley, Stiepermann, Leitner and Byram have all been somewhere between decent and excellent.

I can't be bothered to trawl through all Neil's signings, but I doubt his hit rate was nearly that high, and he also spent considerably more money. Factor in the quality young players we've either invested in or brought through the Academy (Neil would never play youth team players, remember), and I think it's fair to say Webber has been relatively successful with his recruitment.

TransferMarkt seem to think we paid £1.35m for Srbeny and I thought James Husband was £1m so its only not "more than £1m" by a quid? 

Although I agree that the ratio of complete disasters Vs at least decent isn't too bad, with the caveat being that jury is still out on Drmic and Rupp.

Raggett is one I'm a bit confused about because he looks like the complete opposite to what I thought we'd want in a centre back, but possibly made most of our fee back in loan fees by now? 

10 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

TransferMarkt seem to think we paid £1.35m for Srbeny and I thought James Husband was £1m so its only not "more than £1m" by a quid? 

Although I agree that the ratio of complete disasters Vs at least decent isn't too bad, with the caveat being that jury is still out on Drmic and Rupp.

Raggett is one I'm a bit confused about because he looks like the complete opposite to what I thought we'd want in a centre back, but possibly made most of our fee back in loan fees by now? 

Fair points in paragraph 1, but even at those prices it's more likely - and more acceptable - that signings won't work out.

As for Raggett, I think he was signed speculatively; he looked fantastic for Lincoln while they were in the Conference and on their cup run, and various teams were sniffing around him. I think he was only ever signed with a view to making the step up to the Championship, and now we've achieved promotion we've outgrown him. With the players we'll have, and the money we'll have to spend next season if we sell some of our prized assets, I think Raggett will probably be on his way this summer.

On 25/01/2020 at 14:23, TIL 1010 said:

Not many at all, really.

19 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Not many at all, really.

I said ' a fair view ' so off the top of my head for starters Marshall, Franke, Heise, Roberts, Husband, Amadou and obviously Srbeny.

5 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I said ' a fair view ' so off the top of my head for starters Marshall, Franke, Heise, Roberts, Husband, Amadou and obviously Srbeny.

Srebeny wasn't a dud for me- he was bought in as a back up striker in the Championship and did fine. The issue wasn't upgrading him once we got promoted.

4 hours ago, king canary said:

The hill I will die on is that Alex Neil was the worst manager in the transfer market we've had since maybe Grant

As Terminally Yellow has already mentioned, Roeder?

3 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

As Terminally Yellow has already mentioned, Roeder?

Roeder could spot a player, he just couldn't manage them.

Hoolahan became an all-time City legend, two of his loan army went on to get England caps, Clingan and Bell were solid players at that level and Martin Taylor almost single-handedly turned our season around.

Grant, like Neil, actually worked with a respectable budget and almost universally blew it either on poor players or players we didn't really need.

• Like 1