paul moy

Wuhan coronavirus

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

Looking at the age profile of those that lead or the prospective leaders of the US and the total disregard Trump has shown, one wonders where this could all end.

Yes I suspect 'Him Above' is going to do a reshuffle.

• Haha 1

WHO advice is that measures should be proportionate and short. Therefore measures should be taken when they are most effective. I have no doubt that the CMO and CSA are looking at different actions around the world. What is important is that actions are based on scientific evidence rather than a political decision to appease those without the same knowledge who are scared or based on the views of you tubers. That would be bizarre and irresponsible. 

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Vodka now much cheaper than some hand gels. Might be worth thinking about it (if it actually works of course). 

My shed is full, I was buying up vodka several weeks ago, often nip down to sanitise.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Just back from the GP for a somewhat belated flu jab. No hand sanitiser and a touch screen device to announce arrival. Oh deary me indeed. 

Incidentally, the nurse who jabbed me told me that the age range of people hospitalised in Italy is much wider than China 

Plenty of people in their fifties becoming very ill in Italy, whether that means that the mortality rate in that age group is higher is another matter of course, perhaps they are more capable of recovery.

27 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Just back from the GP for a somewhat belated flu jab. No hand sanitiser and a touch screen device to announce arrival. Oh deary me indeed. 

Incidentally, the nurse who jabbed me told me that the age range of people hospitalised in Italy is much wider than China 

That seems to be right Dylan, Channel 4 news interviewed an Italian medical professor who had the job of coordinating all the hospitals and specifically the ICU units around Lombardy, Northern Italy. He said while the average age of the deceased was around 80 years, they had quite a few patients in ICU well under 50, some in their 20s. He said only those under the age of 20 seemed to be almost untouched by any kind of serious effects from the virus.

Also caught an interview with New York Governor Cuomo last night, was quite an eye opener as regards the state of the medical organisations  in dealing with  this virus. A nation that has more hospitals, more beds, more labs than practically any other place on Earth, yet there is zero coordination with the myriads of health organisations, both private and public, that exist there. He was most angry about the so called testing kits, a million supposedly, that supposedly had been sent out to districts. He said testing kit was really named wrongly, they were simple swabs that took a sample. These swabs, what few there were, were then sent to labs, many of them private, where it could take up to 3 days to get a result. An example was the state of Louisiana who up until last night had only been able to do 30 swab s in total. To, until last night when Pence announced it the waive on testing, Americans were liable to pay for the swab test  of course.

Such a contrast to the NHS, which is has to few hospitals, to few staff etc etc, but is free and incredibly well coordinated compared to the USA.

The latest official view that I’ve seen is that 60 to 70pc may get this at some point regardless of the measures taken therefore the measures are now about delay to spread the load on the healthcare system. 

9 minutes ago, T said:

The latest official view that I’ve seen is that 60 to 70pc may get this at some point regardless of the measures taken therefore the measures are now about delay to spread the load on the healthcare system. 

This is true and has been known for weeks. The issue is spreading the load on the NHS out - stopping it spreading too quickly etc - not 'let it rip' as the UK is presently doing. 

Yes this is just repeating the Basis for the UK policy eg border controls are futile which is why they didn’t implement them. It is all about flattening the curve and the how when and for how long best to do this. The official view is proportionate and short. I still think is makes sense to follow the views of the WHO, CMO and CSA rather than any of us on social media or you tube. 

17 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

This is true and has been known for weeks. The issue is spreading the load on the NHS out - stopping it spreading too quickly etc - not 'let it rip' as the UK is presently doing. 

I cant see that its the UK thats "letting it rip" YF, when virtually every other nation on the planet will, eventually, have a similar situation that we are facing. If indeed we are letting it rip, then so is every single other European nation. Even S. Korea, who have often been named alongside China as getting a grip onto the virus numbers, are still having hundreds of new cases each day. I have seen the odd report suggesting the only nation that truly has gotten to grips with the virus from the outset is Taiwan. Other Asian nations such as Indonesia, Malaysia and Philipines are now having  increasing daily new numbers to after seemingly having a few days of stability. I still go along with T, in that its the scientific and medical experts that know far more than the likes of us and the Government takes advice from them, not a bunch of yuotubers, or even opinionated football fans. Its still early days in the Coronavirus  story, maybe in a year or two we can pontificate whether  Government did it rightly or wrongly.

16 minutes ago, T said:

Yes this is just repeating the Basis for the UK policy eg border controls are futile which is why they didn’t implement them. It is all about flattening the curve and the how when and for how long best to do this. The official view is proportionate and short. I still think is makes sense to follow the views of the WHO, CMO and CSA rather than any of us on social media or you tube. 

1 minute ago, Essjayess said:

I cant see that its the UK thats "letting it rip" YF, when virtually every other nation on the planet will, eventually, have a similar situation that we are facing. If indeed we are letting it rip, then so is every single other European nation. Even S. Korea, who have often been named alongside China as getting a grip onto the virus numbers, are still having hundreds of new cases each day. I have seen the odd report suggesting the only nation that truly has gotten to grips with the virus from the outset is Taiwan. Other Asian nations such as Indonesia, Malaysia and Philipines are now having  increasing daily new numbers to after seemingly having a few days of stability. I still go along with T, in that its the scientific and medical experts that know far more than the likes of us and the Government takes advice from them, not a bunch of yuotubers, or even opinionated football fans. Its still early days in the Coronavirus  story, maybe in a year or two we can pontificate whether  Government did it rightly or wrongly.

No to both.

Of course we are doing something - quarantining those with the virus and contact tracing.

However - UNLIKE almost everybody else we are not taking as yet preemptive action to slow the spread of the virus beyond the above. It is spreading still unconstrained even today in Parliament !!!

The reason given is not that any of the social distancing won't work (it will) - but that we (possibly) can't maintain it for the necessary period. That's not a really a scientific question - its a question of leadership and dare I say enforcement.

A week or so ago Republican Congressman Matt Gaetz ridiculed the threat of the coronavirus by wearing a gas mask on the floor of the House of Representatives...

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "matt gaetzgas mask  images"

Fast-forward to when Gaetz discovers he has been exposed to someone with the virus, and a resident in his congressional district has died, and it suddenly doesn't seem quite so hilarious. So much so that he gets himself tested although not exhibiting any symptons of illness apart from those from which all Republicans suffer, and is now self-quarantining himself.

• Like 1

I completely agree that we can not maintain social distancing long enough for it to be effective. It is simply not viable.  And while you can impose public socail distancing measures you can't improse private distancing measures. Public social distancing will not work without private social distancing. Man is a social animal. We are not talking about people not getting it we are talking about when people get it. And while some people have retired or have made enough to be able not to work then the majority still need to work to support themselves.  

Spain now entering the rapid acceleration period.

Remarkable how some countries with small populations are beginning to experience big increases, Netherlands, Switzerland, Norway etc.

The experts have been saying that this has the potential to escalate from the beginning. In fact before the beginning. Hence there was a general policy of how to deal with this from day one. And it is not remarkable given the way that colds and flu spreads every year. 

Edited by T

Just now, T said:

The experts have been saying that this has the potential to escalate from the beginning. In fact before the beginning. Hence there was a general policy of how to deal with this from day one. 

The possibility of a newly emergent zoonoses spreading as it has was widely considered long, long before coronavirus became a thing and the delay, contain etc advice appear to follow a standard public health intervention approach of primary, secondary and tertiary care.

There are scientists that have spend their whole careers waiting for and expecting  this.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

A week or so ago Republican Congressman Matt Gaetz ridiculed the threat of the coronavirus by wearing a gas mask on the floor of the House of Representatives...

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "matt gaetzgas mask  images"

Fast-forward to when Gaetz discovers he has been exposed to someone with the virus, and a resident in his congressional district has died, and it suddenly doesn't seem quite so hilarious. So much so that he gets himself tested although not exhibiting any symptons of illness apart from those from which all Republicans suffer, and is now self-quarantining himself.

The polite word for Gaetz is doofus, plus he's a rabble rouser. However he also hitched a ride on Air Force One recently so potentially infected the President and his staff... if he's actually infected at all. 

11 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

The possibility of a newly emergent zoonoses spreading as it has was widely considered long, long before coronavirus became a thing and the delay, contain etc advice appear to follow a standard public health intervention approach of primary, secondary and tertiary care.

There are scientists that have spend their whole careers waiting for and expecting  this.

👍

Meanwhile the US is in a partisan war with the truth. The President will apparently only talk with Republican Senators, refusing to acknowledge the Democratic controlled House even exists. And Rupert Murdoch’s Fox “News” channel continues to be in full denial and blame real journalists for revealing the truth .... as the average age of Fox News viewers is 65, why are you doing that Rupert? 

The biblical "every city or house divided against itself will not stand" phrase comes to mind. 

Edited by Surfer

Grandson's girlfriend, a Nurse, was told today, as were all medical staff, that unless they are really ill, assuming respiratory failings, then they will have to continue to work. The Hospital is expecting many more cases in Cornwall, with its high over 60 population, and the IC unit is nowhere near large enough to cope so other wards and areas will be needed and nursing staff trained to help those at risk,

And of course, there will still be the normal RTC's, work related accidents, urgent surgery and maternity needs.

2 hours ago, Surfer said:

Meanwhile the US is in a partisan war with the truth. The President will apparently only talk with Republican Senators, refusing to acknowledge the Democratic controlled House even exists. And Rupert Murdoch’s Fox “News” channel continues to be in full denial and blame real journalists for revealing the truth .... as the average age of Fox News viewers is 65, why are you doing that Rupert? 

The biblical "every city or house divided against itself will not stand" phrase comes to mind. 

After this one, I'm going to put any other "US is screwing up its responses" in the President Trump thread. 

White House ordered federal health officials to treat top-level coronavirus meetings as classified

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-secrecy-exclusive/exclusive-white-house-told-federal-health-agency-to-classify-coronavirus-deliberations-sources-idUSKBN20Y2LM

WHO finally declares Pandemic.

Would never have known if they hadn't told us.

They must have just seen Italy's  new numbers.

Edited by ricardo

38 minutes ago, T said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1237760976482598913

Well Boris agrees with me so must be right    Not an argument I ever thought I would be making  

Wow, well done Boris, such a simple  but straightforward interview with a professional who illustrated clearly the reasoning  behind this country's medical, scientific and professional model approach as to how the virus is to be tackled in the UK.  I guess this means hes not taking advice from youtubers and  footy forum fans..cant please everyone of course.

• Haha 1

What it is called is irrelevant. WHO calling for same action as they have from the start of this and as the UK govt has followed. I still take the CMO and CSA  over punters and you tubers. One of the actions the Chinese took was controlling social media to avoid false info from punters and you tubers so if we should follow China perhaps that is what we should do. 

3 minutes ago, Herman said:

Does that mean we have to take it seriously now?

Some already have, the wait and see brigade are still waiting for instructions from above. The fox has the sense to prepare when times are still good. Sheep eat everything in the pasture and wait for someone to lead them to the next field.

Make your choice, governments can't protect you.

It has been the most followed news story for weeks and people have been  putting plans in place for weeks. Loads of people have been going home office ages ago. I’ve a faster connection at home and same set up as in office.  No need to go into office or travel at all with modern technology 

30 minutes ago, T said:

It has been the most followed news story for weeks and people have been  putting plans in place for weeks. Loads of people have been going home office ages ago. I’ve a faster connection at home and same set up as in office.  No need to go into office or travel at all with modern technology 

Many people are not so fortunate, shop and factory workers, hospital staff and of course police and security services. At some stage there will be a lockdown similar to China and Italy.