paul moy

Wuhan coronavirus

Mrs KG just arrived home with all the rations needed for survival over the next months. Of course the real winners from this crisis will be Tesco.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Do you think resources should be spent on the old and sick when a pandemic strikes, given that there is unlikely to be an economic payback in doing so?

No of course not. I would prefer 50000 medical careers for the elderly to 50000 customs officials. But  as always governments and society decides to allocate and limit the amount of resources it dedicates to healthcare. And clinical decisions are made as to where you allocate medical resources on an overall health impact   Medical decisions are made by reference to age  

The reality is that society is already making decisions about the increased risks to the old versus the impact on the rest of society as it already does for flu and other diseases. The world has already decided that it will not shut down completely because of the increased  risk to the old and sick. It is a very tough balancing act as ever.

If In doubt say you are making decisions based on medical advice but of course governments are still ultimately making the decisions on overall risk and resources and just perhaps their voting base. 

21 minutes ago, TCCANARY said:

"Instant soup is a fast food"

It's not food, it's a drink.

Not if you eat it with a knife and fork

22 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Mrs KG just arrived home with all the rations needed for survival over the next months. Of course the real winners from this crisis will be Tesco.

You have a very thoughtful wife.👍

were any shelves empty😀

WHO recommends washing hands whilst singing "happy birthday" twice 

Surely it should be "ring a ring a roses"?

Anyone affected by this yet? We have a guy at work quarantined as he has been in contact with a confirmed case 🙁

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Shouldn't you be out stocking up your shelves.😀

You have overall not held back advising  guys to stock up on everything  before the shelves empty Ricardo, in general it is good to be alert and aware of what even Public Health England have stated, of a widespread coronavirus outbreak soon, but having extra food and supplies in the short, even for some who have the capacity to, short to medium term is all well and good. But this virus has the capacity to be around for much longer, perhaps it will now always be around, such is the high infectious capability of it and future vaccine is still an unknown answer, so maybe we will all somehow have to adjust in the long term to go about our normal, daily lives, including the shopping, with this virus an ever present in our world, as influenza and other viral nastys are.

10 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

WHO recommends washing hands whilst singing "happy birthday" twice 

Surely it should be "ring a ring a roses"?

Anyone affected by this yet? We have a guy at work quarantined as he has been in contact with a confirmed case 🙁

I believe Bill is in quarantine, and has been for sometime, was let out it seems and then got reinfected:classic_biggrin:

11 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

You have overall not held back advising  guys to stock up on everything  before the shelves empty Ricardo, in general it is good to be alert and aware of what even Public Health England have stated, of a widespread coronavirus outbreak soon, but having extra food and supplies in the short, even for some who have the capacity to, short to medium term is all well and good. But this virus has the capacity to be around for much longer, perhaps it will now always be around, such is the high infectious capability of it and future vaccine is still an unknown answer, so maybe we will all somehow have to adjust in the long term to go about our normal, daily lives, including the shopping, with this virus an ever present in our world, as influenza and other viral nastys are.

I've now got 15 bottles of vodka in the cupboard

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

Initially I was advising people to have enough cleaning materials, medicines and non perishable food for two weeks. I have revised that to a month in the light of how fast this is spreading. The figures are moving into the hundreds in most western countries. As soon as the US starts proper testing they will find their numbers rocket quickly. I expect it will be in the thousands next week.

Make no mistake it is coming to a street near you and you will see movement restrictions like you've nevet seen before. If the same draconian methods as China are needed then there won't be what you call, "normal daily life". I expect there will be signs of panic and a rush to the supermarkets. Don't wait until the shelves are empty.

If by some miracle it all dies down you have lost nothing by having full cupboards.

10 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I've now got 15 bottles of vodka in the cupboard

Consume responsibly😉

People keep going on about washing their hands to stop getting corona virus
Just give them gloves
As a lot of people say I caught **** all when I wore mine

As a fellow ex goalkeeper, I loved this comment😀

Edited by ricardo
  • Haha 3

I’d fully agree that is makes sense to stock up with medication for a month and no harm in building up a stock of staple products and essentials to cover a 2 week self isolation period of those things you would buy anyway.

I’m not sure about Norfolk but these  days there are extensive home delivery services which while may be disrupted will continue to function.  .Most of my purchases as a lot of the younger generation these days are on  online anyway. 

Encouraging panic buying will just create a problem which would not otherwise exist. It is still effecting a relatively small number of people even in the hotspots. There may be disruption but people are not starving to death. and the fast majority of the working Population who do get sick will recover and be able to work again. 

Just now, Van wink said:

Hand sanitiser 😉

Why didn't I think of that.🤔

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, T said:

I’m not sure about Norfolk but these  days there are extensive home delivery services which while may be disrupted will continue to function.  .Most of my purchases as a lot of the younger generation these days are on  online anyway. 

So if some area, be it a town or city gets locked down you think Amazon and Deliveroo will still be coming round do you?

The delivery services are so extensive where I live that I’m not sure. that some of my colleagues even know what a supermarket is. For sure I will always have some supplies as I bulk shop anyway in that I can survive but if you think the government will let the 98pc starve to  reduce the risk of the 2pc death rate of predominantly older and sick people that could die I rhink you will be disappointed.  

For sure there could be be delays and reduced choice but I’m confident someone will be willing to make some money by delivering to the door step. There have been no reports of starvation in the hot spots. I think someone has been watching too many disaster shows. 

were any shelves empty

Never been known at Tesco. She made enough Bolognese sauce tonight to last us through any crisis. And if you joined up the pasta, we could reach Mars. Even our dogs had to eat it.

image.thumb.png.4b8a720f6ce4afbca2dcf2aab1afc99d.png

Only thing that worried me as I stared at so much of it down the front of my shirt, was that it was Italian and would that make me vulnerable.

Edited by keelansgrandad

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

Consume responsibly😉

Voddy is good for de-icing your windscreen......although my tongue stuck to a frozen wiper blade arm as I attempted to lick the excess off.....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, T said:

I’d fully agree that is makes sense to stock up with medication for a month and no harm in building up a stock of staple products and essentials to cover a 2 week self isolation period of those things you would buy anyway.

Encouraging panic buying will just create a problem which would not otherwise exist. It is still effecting a relatively small number of people even in the hotspots. There may be disruption but people are not starving to death. and the fast majority of the working Population who do get sick will recover and be able to work again. 

Pretty impressive survival advice! I bet you taught Bear Grylls and Ray Mears everything they know......Astounding...... 😷🚑

46 minutes ago, T said:

I think someone has been watching too many disaster shows. 

Unfortunately this show is going to be real.

17 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Unfortunately this show is going to be real.

Just now, Herman said:

🎶Whoa, whoa, whoooooooooa, mysterious girl, I want you to keep a safe distance. 🎶

To be fair to Peter Andre he says that he didn't have anything to do with this and he hugged anyone who wanted a hug.

Not Insania. 🌝

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

were any shelves empty

Never been known at Tesco. 

Of course, supermarket trolleys are ideal for spreading diseases

Well thats not to be sneezed at.🤧

33 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Not mine KG, thoroughly wiped down with alcohol gel and baby wipe.

51 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

were any shelves empty

Never been known at Tesco. 

Indeed KG The most potent source of contamination is the airport tray that you put your bits in” excuse the expression” to go through security. Everybody touches them then passes them on. Next time you go through airport security, and I don’t mean at the Spurs ground on Wednesday night, have a look at the staff there, all wearing gloves, for good reason. 

Edited by Van wink

18 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

Not mine KG, thoroughly wiped down with alcohol gel and baby wipe.

I usually rub a bit of vodka on there

Indeed KG The most potent source of contamination is the airport tray that you put your bits in” excuse the expression” to go through security. Everybody touches them then passes them on. Next time you go through airport security, and I don’t mean at the Spurs ground on Wednesday night, have a look at the staff there, all wearing gloves, for good reason. 

I was thinking of airport security earlier but must admit not the trays. I was remembering Heathrow security queue when we were like anchovies in a tin. In fact so close I think I was wearing the bloke in front's trousers when I had finished

42 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I was thinking of airport security earlier but must admit not the trays. I was remembering Heathrow security queue when we were like anchovies in a tin. In fact so close I think I was wearing the bloke in front's trousers when I had finished

Ha ha, there has been research carried out on the areas of greatest risk of infection at airports, not in relation to Corona but the flu virus as I recall. It was just something that stuck in my mind when reading a journal.