paul moy

Wuhan coronavirus

46 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

More pertinently does anybody have any faith in Johnson and his cabal to actually get a grip.

One thing is very certain The virus doesn't respect borders, cant be bought or persuaded with flag waving or flowery speeches.  It's not a unicorn or project fear. It's real, its here, it does detail and doesn't care who you are.

Reality not soundbites. The dream is over.

What criticism has there been of the UK response so far? Its really not a political issue but if you wish to make it one we are doing pretty well.

5 minutes ago, Van wink said:

What criticism has there been of the UK response so far? Its really not a political issue but if you wish to make it one we are doing pretty well.

The point is that our government I would best describe elected as flag waving jingoistic first world war style generals.

Big hand little map types. No grasp of realities on the ground or the details.

They are about to go into battle against a real and ruthless enemy.

Oh dear you really don’t get It . I’m not realising any gains or losses so it has zero impact on me. You may think you may know better than CAPM and portfolio management theory and my private bank but if you were that clever you would be Warren Buffet who has considerable resources and as far as I’m aware you don’t otherwise I’m sure you would buy delia out and we would win the champions league but as far as I’m aware we are in the relegation zone. 

And what favours is you voting to restrict NHS resources doing you. I know you think the price for the sovereignty you can’t explain in practical terms is more important and you are happy for others to pay that cost but I hope you don’t have to pay it. As I said it may be convenient to deny responsibility but in the real world issues are connected. I would have thought if as Covid 19 is as serious as you suggest it would be better to stop spending time and money on implementing Brexit and spend that time and money on fighting  Covid 19 but you think Brexit is more important than people’s lives. I beg to differ. Ignoring reality doesn’t do anyone impacted by Covid 19 any favours. 

i haven’t said that Covid isn’t serious or that it won’t have an impact. all I’m saying is that it is difficult to predict the impact on the market in advance and it is irrelevant for me. 

8 minutes ago, T said:

Oh dear you really don’t get It . I’m not realising any gains or losses so it has zero impact on me. You may think you may know better than CAPM and portfolio management theory and my private bank but if you were that clever you would be Warren Buffet who has considerable resources and as far as I’m aware you don’t otherwise I’m sure you would buy delia out and we would win the champions league but as far as I’m aware we are in the relegation zone. 

And what favours is you voting to restrict NHS resources doing you. I know you think the price for the sovereignty you can’t explain in practical terms is more important and you are happy for others to pay that cost but I hope you don’t have to pay it. As I said it may be convenient to deny responsibility but in the real world issues are connected. I would have thought if as Covid 19 is as serious as you suggest it would be better to stop spending time and money on implementing Brexit and spend that time and money on fighting  Covid 19 but you think Brexit is more important than people’s lives. I beg to differ. Ignoring reality doesn’t do anyone impacted by Covid 19 any favours. 

i haven’t said that Covid isn’t serious or that it won’t have an impact. all I’m saying is that it is difficult to predict the impact on the market in advance and it is irrelevant for me. 

Brexit is totally irrelevant to the subject of this thread and your continual attempts to link to it are nothing more than nuisance value on this one. Kindly buggar off to the relevant thread if you have nothing positive to contribute on here.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Van wink said:

So whats wrong with the response so far?

So far they've done very little - play it down - I see Johnson is finally calling a cobra meeting.

The question though is do you feel confident that they are up to the job ahead? If the response to the floods is anything to go by ... no. The larger point is that the people now in government are not the practical problem solvers - but the dreamers. This dream looks like turning into a nightmare.

I see Ricardo is also trying to get ahead of the curve best he can.

10 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

So far they've done very little - play it down - I see Johnson is finally calling a cobra meeting.

The question though is do you feel confident that they are up to the job ahead? If the response to the floods is anything to go by ... no. The larger point is that the people now in government are not the practical problem solvers - but the dreamers. This dream looks like turning into a nightmare.

I see Ricardo is also trying to get ahead of the curve best he can.

Don't wait for empty shelves. There are some things government can't help you with.

10 minutes ago, Van wink said:

"So far they've done very little"

Thats nonsense

The question should be, "what are you doing about it to protect yourself".

10 minutes ago, Van wink said:

"So far they've done very little"

Thats nonsense

That's a matter of opinion. I'm sure the civil service and NHS has made what preparations it can but so far the the government isn't 'leading' but just reacting. I suggest a bit like Ricardo that you take things into your own hands and don't expect too much help any time soon.

6 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

That's a matter of opinion. I'm sure the civil service and NHS has made what preparations it can but so far the the government isn't 'leading' but just reacting. I suggest a bit like Ricardo that you take things into your own hands and don't expect too much help any time soon.

Ricardo is undoubtedly right and we all have to take sensible precautions and make preparations for what will inevitable become a pandemic.My hip flask is full. 

Edited by Van wink

19 minutes ago, ricardo said:

19 minutes ago, ricardo said:

The question should be, "what are you doing about it to protect yourself".

Boycotting the game?? 

Edited by Herman

Barry Gardiner did point out last night that he thought Government has responded well. He didn't want to try and make political points even thought that would not have been difficult with that waste of space Nadhim Zahawi.

But rightly he did question what steps they would be taking should the crisis get worse.

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Barry Gardiner did point out last night that he thought Government has responded well. He didn't want to try and make political points even thought that would not have been difficult with that waste of space Nadhim Zahawi.

But rightly he did question what steps they would be taking should the crisis get worse.

Its going to be a pretty straight forward choice between shutting down big events, business etc or saving the lives of hundreds of thousands of vulnerable folk. The current thinking in public health circles seems to be that we should try to keep life going on as near to normality as possible, mainly to maintain moral. Looks like the crematoriums are going to need some additional investment in cremators, good for the bone meal producers though, roses will be blooming.

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

Its going to be a pretty straight forward choice between shutting down big events, business etc or saving the lives of hundreds of thousands of vulnerable folk. The current thinking in public health circles seems to be that we should try to keep life going on as near to normality as possible, mainly to maintain moral. Looks like the crematoriums are going to need some additional investment in cremators, good for the bone meal producers though, roses will be blooming.

Its a fine line between public health and preventing panic while keeping the economy going. With what has happened in China I fear its too late for worrying about nicities.

If you don't hear from after a while could you name one of your roses after me😀🌹

12 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

With 15% needing ICU treatment there is little any government in the world  can do about it.

Lets hope warm weather arrives soon, it might have a positive affect.

I see on the headlines that one of Brits on the cruise ship has sadly died.

On the subject of leadership as per my earlier post I see I'm not alone in thinking that Boris isn't as yet showing any. News at 1.

Edited by Yellow Fever

3 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

On the subject of leadership as per my earlier post I see I'm not alone in thinking that Boris isn't as yet showing any. News at 1.

It really shouldn't be a political football, far too important for slapstick, I'll leave it there.

2 minutes ago, Van wink said:

It really shouldn't be a political football, far too important for slapstick, I'll leave it there.

Some still unable to see anything but Brexit, unfortunately.

Edited by ricardo

8 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

On the subject of leadership as per my earlier email I see I'm not alone in thinking that Boris isn't as showing any. News at 1.

36 still critical on that ship and only 10 recovered out of 705. It doesn't bode well.

14 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I love the fact that all US public health officials have to clear statements with Mike Pence. My god they are all in for one huge shock across the pond.

Watch this from someone who knows what he is talking about.

You want medical experts, this bloke is an expert.

25 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I love the fact that all US public health officials have to clear statements with Mike Pence. My god they are all in for one huge shock across the pond.

Its just a matter of time. Trump is an idiot if he thinks this won't come to the US big time.

Can you see the Chinese draconian methods happening there without bloodshed?

Nah, neither can I.

Current virus state in Africa..1 confirmed case in each of Algeria, Nigeria and Egypt (which was an early case).

For USA it stood at 60 a couple of days ago, since when no new info has been given. Dont think most Americans have as yet woken up to the realisation of how much  this virus will affect the global community this year, and maybe  longer than that.

4 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Its just a matter of time. Trump is an idiot if he thinks this won't come to the US big time.

Can you see the Chinese draconian methods happening there without bloodshed?

Nah, neither can I.

The Chinese reaction, when they did eventually react and got a glimpse of what they were dealing with, was a huge give-away. This could be the end of Trump, a strange irony.

Edited by Van wink

One poster  made an observation about the virus and hot weather, mentioning Iran.  Its winter, and a lot of Iran, the capital included, is high altitude and mountainous, where it gets  very much colder than here in the UK. 

21 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

One poster  made an observation about the virus and hot weather, mentioning Iran.  Its winter, and a lot of Iran, the capital included, is high altitude and mountainous, where it gets  very much colder than here in the UK. 

Singapore? A hot country so an interesting place to watch. 90 or so cases including a 12 year old girl, 16 seriously ill in hospital.

Edited by Van wink

5 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

Indeed, it may be why there are few reports from Africa but it may also be due to rather rudimentary health care reporting systems. Iran looks really bad at the moment.