paul moy

Wuhan coronavirus

So the US cuts funding to disease control while the UK cuts funding to flooding defences. 

Can you guess what happened next? 😐

Pity the generation most at risk voted to discourage medical staff from staying and coming to the UK. I understand that they are not bothered about costing people time and money and risking people jobs but is sovereignty, if anyone of them could ever define that in practical terms, a price worth paying for reduced medical care. . I would have thought they are far more important priorities for the government to be concentrating on other than Brexit but if that is what the older generation want the govt to focus on so be it but they might want to think about what is really important. 

Edited by T

1 hour ago, T said:

Pity the generation most at risk voted to discourage medical staff from staying and coming to the UK. I understand that they are not bothered about costing people time and money and risking people jobs but is sovereignty, if anyone of them could ever define that in practical terms, a price worth paying for reduced medical care. . I would have thought they are far more important priorities for the government to be concentrating on other than Brexit but if that is what the older generation want the govt to focus on so be it but they might want to think about what is really important. 

This is going to be a pandemic and won't have any respect for boarders. If we attract medical staff from poorer countries it will be to their detriment. You comfortable with more people dying in poorer countries so we can improve our chances? 

Edited by Hairy Canary
  • Thanks 1

No. Since when has a brexiteer cared about anyone else than their own little world. That is the whole ethos of Brexit to not see that the world is connected. Are you happy that you voted to have less medical resources in the UK?

im not talking about particularly poor countries anyway. I’m clearly talking about EU countries. The reality though for poorer countries is that richer countries offer training opportunities that poorer countries can’t offer which they can then take back to their own country  

the point remains that brexiteers voted for less time money and resources to be available to focus on the NHS but apparently it is a price worth paying. I disagree. 

6 minutes ago, T said:

No. Since when has a brexiteer cared about anyone else than their own little world. That is the whole ethos of Brexit to not see that the world is connected. Are you happy that you voted to have less medical resources in the UK?

im not talking about particularly poor countries anyway. I’m clearly talking about EU countries. The reality though for poorer countries is that richer countries offer training opportunities that poorer countries can’t offer which they can then take back to their own country  

the point remains that brexiteers voted for less time money and resources to be available to focus on the NHS but apparently it is a price worth paying. I disagree. 

So one word to answer the question that I actually asked and on that we agree.

The rest is obfuscation to try and deflect away from the real issue here which is that the poor of the world are going to be hit hardest by this and you are advocating that the meager resources and skills they do have should be spent over here.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Keep digging

Thousands dead yet some are still obsessed with Brexit and flooding.

The push for open borders and globalisation is going to take a big hit from this.

So nothing to conflict my original point then. I completely agree with you that the world is inter connected which why Brexit nationalism is a nonsense. I’ve never seen Brexit as the end of the world but clearly it is having a practical negative impact on focus and resourcing of the NHS.

As the whole point of Brexit is to to focus on the UK and ignore poorer countries then your comment is irrelevant to my point that Brexit will most impact those who most voted for it in this case. 

I have always found it beneficial for staff to be able to move around to where they are most needed and where they can get new experiences and perspectives. Trade and collaboration eg in research and knowledge and experience are beneficial to society and mankind. Brexit denies that it is beneficial to work with other countries. This won’t be the be all and end all but brexit does have an impact at the fringes and a really significant impact for some people 

you may be happy for there to be less focus and resources for the NHS on a global perspective which I accept but I somehow doubt that Is what brexiteers wanted. I think there is more important things for the government to focus on than Brexit but brexiteers have another view. 

2 minutes ago, T said:

So nothing to conflict my original point then. I completely agree with you that the world is inter connected which why Brexit nationalism is a nonsense. I’ve never seen Brexit as the end of the world but clearly it is having a practical negative impact on focus and resourcing of the NHS.

As the whole point of Brexit is to to focus on the UK and ignore poorer countries then your comment is irrelevant to my point that Brexit will most impact those who most voted for it in this case. 

I have always found it beneficial for staff to be able to move around to where they are most needed and where they can get new experiences and perspectives. Trade and collaboration eg in research and knowledge and experience are beneficial to society and mankind. Brexit denies that it is beneficial to work with other countries. This won’t be the be all and end all but brexit does have an impact at the fringes and a really significant impact for some people 

you may be happy for there to be less focus and resources for the NHS on a global perspective which I accept but I somehow doubt that Is what brexiteers wanted. I think there is more important things for the government to focus on than Brexit but brexiteers have another view. 

I think you're on the wrong thread!

Maybe but in the right country. I think it is somewhat ironic that those most concerned about Covid 19 are those that voted for Brexit

i think the government would be better off focusing on things like Covid 19 but the brexiteers think brexit is more important. Apparently it is a price worth paying. Personally I hope they don’t have to pay that price but as they keep telling us they think brexit is more important. 

9 minutes ago, T said:

Maybe but in the right country. I think it is somewhat ironic that those most concerned about Covid 19 are those that voted for Brexit

i think the government would be better off focusing on things like Covid 19 but the brexiteers think brexit is more important. Apparently it is a price worth paying. Personally I hope they don’t have to pay that price but as they keep telling us they think brexit is more important. 

Go and have another look at the Brexit thread. It's only you and the rest of the Remainers arguing amongst yourselves. The rest of us have moved on.

Back on topic, the explosion in Europe is only in its early stages. Containment has failed and in any event the kind of draconian policies enacted in China are going to be very difficult to replicate here. 

Those who haven't prepared are leaving it a bit late.

We're not arguing amongst ourselves on that thread Ricardo. Mostly we are agreeing on what an almighty **** up you've landed on the country. 😀

11 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Go and have another look at the Brexit thread. It's only you and the rest of the Remainers arguing amongst yourselves. The rest of us have moved on.

Back on topic, the explosion in Europe is only in its early stages. Containment has failed and in any event the kind of draconian policies enacted in China are going to be very difficult to replicate here. 

Those who haven't prepared are leaving it a bit late.

FTSE will be sub 6000 before too long. 

It is truly amazing the subjects that brexiteers are experts on without having any knowledge or experience or qualifications  A pity their knowledge and understanding was not as big as their egos  

the brexiteers might like to think that issues and countries are not connected in their simplistic world but they are in the real world. 

They might think their Brexit idealogogy is more than peoples lives but I beg to doofer 

8 minutes ago, Van wink said:

FTSE will be sub 6000 before too long. 

I warned people on Feb 1st. I hope you got out in time. Depending upon events it may take more than a year to recover.

They can print money to help the markets but they can't print another supply chain.

Edited by ricardo

3 minutes ago, T said:

It is truly amazing the subjects that brexiteers are experts on without having any knowledge or experience or qualifications  A pity their knowledge and understanding was not as big as their egos  

the brexiteers might like to think that issues and countries are not connected in their simplistic world but they are in the real world. 

They might think their Brexit idealogogy is more than peoples lives but I beg to doofer 

You can doof all you like.

They are certainly much further ahead of the curve than you are.😁

Edited by ricardo

Hong Kong are already crediting every permanent resident with 10k HK dollars in order to keep the economy going.

The helicopter money has started.

A common logical fallacy. Humans credit themselves when events turn out as they predicted but blame others when they don’t. Another topic where Ricardo demonstrates his ignorance otherwise people would be able to consistently beat the market they don’t. Trackers perform just as well. Ricardo demonstrating his ego over his actual complete lack of knowledge experience and qualifications. They really is no fool like an old fool. The only way to beat the market is to have inside knowledge and that is illegal. 

42 minutes ago, T said:

Everyone should be concerned about Covid 19 whatever their views on Brexit. As I said before you seem to be on the wrong thread as this is not the place for petty point scoring.

It looks like containment is going to be very difficult as even the virtual shutdown measures in China haven't worked.

If this ends up as a global pandemic with no vaccine program available it has the potential to reach Spanish flu 1918 proportions which killed more people than the first world war. There is also the worry that the virus seems to be unaffected by hot weather as the rates of infection in Iran have shown.

Gloomy scenarios I know but until we know more about infection and death rates, along with the likelihood of mutations and further strains then this is going to be pretty worrying. 

It does amaze me how many people seem to think that governments are over reacting. 

More pertinently does anybody have any faith in Johnson and his cabal to actually get a grip.

One thing is very certain The virus doesn't respect borders, cant be bought or persuaded with flag waving or flowery speeches.  It's not a unicorn or project fear. It's real, its here, it does detail and doesn't care who you are.

Reality not soundbites. The dream is over.

1 minute ago, T said:

A common logical fallacy. Humans credit themselves when events turn out as they predicted but blame others when they don’t. Another topic where Ricardo demonstrates his ignorance otherwise people would be able to consistently beat the market they don’t. Trackers perform just as well. Ricardo demonstrating his ego over his actual complete lack of knowledge experience and qualifications. They really is no fool like an old fool. The only way to beat the market is to have inside knowledge and that is illegal. 

You obviously failed to heed my warning but no surprise there. The time to get out is long past now, I hope you didnt lose too much.

3 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

Everyone should be concerned about Covid 19 whatever their views on Brexit. As I said before you seem to be on the wrong thread as this is not the place for petty point scoring.

It looks like containment is going to be very difficult as even the virtual shutdown measures in China haven't worked.

If this ends up as a global pandemic with no vaccine program available it has the potential to reach Spanish flu 1918 proportions which killed more people than the first world war. There is also the worry that the virus seems to be unaffected by hot weather as the rates of infection in Iran have shown.

Gloomy scenarios I know but until we know more about infection and death rates, along with the likelihood of mutations and further strains then this is going to be pretty worrying. 

It does amaze me how many people seem to think that governments are over reacting. 

Stop worrying about it and take action you will feel better when you look at a well stocked cupboard. Cleaning supplies and toilet tissues are usually the first to disappear. Its not money wasted because if the worst fails to happen you will use it anyway.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

More pertinently does anybody have any faith in Johnson and his cabal to actually get a grip.

One thing is very certain The virus doesn't respect borders, cant be bought or persuaded with flag waving or flowery speeches.  It's not a unicorn or project fear. It's real, its here, it does detail and doesn't care who you are.

Reality not soundbites. The dream is over.

Its coming to a street near you in whatever political system you live under. Take responsibility for you and your family. There are some things no government can control and this is one of them.

Some people may think focusing on brexit rather than important things like Covid 19 is petty but I happen to think peoples lives are more important  Brexiteers disagree with me which is their right  

Fluctuations in the market are irrelevant to me as I have a diversified portfolio and invest steadily over time and will realise my investments steadily over time. It is not possible to predict short term fluctuations in the market and not cost effective to do so. Otherwise we could all be sat at home playing the market. I’m just buying cheaper at the moment. 

The virus is like mild flu for the majority. The reality is it will take a harsher toll on the unproductive. People die from flu and other diseases and conditions all the time and the world goes on and of it doesn’t share prices will be the least of my concerns as I will be dead. 

Ah ha, so you didn't get out before the drop. 

Your fixation with Brexit has done you no favours and for a self acclaimed financial high flyer you have been remarkably blind to the obvious. 

As for your totally inadequate analysis of Covid 19 and its consequences, I can only quote our long lamented friend City 1st. " Oh deary me, you don't really understand any of this do you".