paul moy

Wuhan coronavirus

4 hours ago, ricardo said:

Football matches postponed in Italy as Cities come under lockdown.

Within two weeks we will know if the same happens here.

The Women's Six Nations clash between Italy and Scotland has been called off today due to coronavirus cases in the Milan area.

The Six Nations clash had been due to take place at 5pm UK time at Stadio Giovanni Mari in Legnano, less than 20 miles from Milan.

It comes as Italy Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte announced emergency measures late on Saturday as the number of cases rose to 79. A dozen towns in the northern regions of Lombardy and Veneto have been quarantined, the BBC reports, whereby around 50,000 residents have been told to stay at home. It comes after two Italian citizens were confirmed to have died from the virus.

“Coronavirus: 50 people die in Iranian city of Qom – live updates

New death toll in Iran is significantly higher than the latest number of confirmed cases of infections”

When this virus gets stuck into Africa and other locations with poor health care systems the death toll is going to be massive.

Edited by Van wink

50 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

What would you consider to be essential preparation Ricardo?

If your finances have any exposure to the market you should have been out last week.

You should also have at least a couple of weeks food and medicine in stock. Those who waited for the general alarm in Italy are now finding empty shelves.

I am not advocating hoarding but a sensible preparation for emergencies is needed.

Some people still think it's just a nasty bout of flu. Look at the wu flu live site for the true extent of things.

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

If your finances have any exposure to the market you should have been out last week.

You should also have at least a couple of weeks food and medicine in stock. Those who waited for the general alarm in Italy are now finding empty shelves.

I am not advocating hoarding but a sensible preparation for emergencies is needed.

Some people still think it's just a nasty bout of flu. Look at the wu flu live site for the true extent of things.

Seems sensible Ricardo,  my pensions will be exposed to the stock markets,  but precious little I can do about that. 

As for the food and medicine,  we have already made some modest arrangements,  but maybe just a little more needed. 

Thanks for the info. 

As this is a football thread - if and more likely when it arrives properly here I am going to assume that all football matches and larger gatherings will be cancelled.

What will that do the to the 2019-20 season -  cancelled too ?

Edited by Yellow Fever

3 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

As this is a football thread - if and more likely when it arrives properly here I am going to assume that all football matches and larger gatherings will be cancelled.

Unable to complete the season so all results null and void.

That would be a turn up😀

3 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Possible extension to the season, assuming the virus becomes less significant as the weather improves. Thats not a given of course, we know very little about this virus. 

Duckworth- Lewis type approach?.......or scrub the season:classic_biggrin:

2 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Duckworth- Lewis type approach?.......or scrub the season:classic_biggrin:

That would be good VW, and I may get stick for saying this, but I wouldn't have a lot of sympathy if COVID-2019 swept through Stockley Park...

33 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

That would be good VW, and I may get stick for saying this, but I wouldn't have a lot of sympathy if COVID-2019 swept through Stockley Park...

Always suspected they had a few viruses in their IT down there.

Government advising people to self isolate, not sure if people actually understand what that means. 

WHO have removed the word Pandemic from their website.

I guess if we refuse to use the word it will all be ok.

Watch what they do not what they say.

Schools in our area went to the infected areas of Italy last week on half term. they went back to school yesterday. Now the schools have shut but only to those who went to Italy.

That doesn't make much sense to me. And surely it means that every thing they came in contact with needs to be either checked or quarantined. The ferries, coach companies, teachers, parents etc. It just has a ripple effect.

16 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Schools in our area went to the infected areas of Italy last week on half term. they went back to school yesterday. Now the schools have shut but only to those who went to Italy.

That doesn't make much sense to me. And surely it means that every thing they came in contact with needs to be either checked or quarantined. The ferries, coach companies, teachers, parents etc. It just has a ripple effect.

Sounds like they are still behind the curve.

36 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Sounds like they are still behind the curve.

What is it about a symptom free but contagious incubation period of at least 14 days that they dont understand, a few on here didnt get it ( thats par for the course ) but I would have expected those public health officials advising schools on infection control to have a grasp.

Seems like the virus genie is well and truly out of the bottle now, Spain and Switzerland now having their first confirmed cases. What makes this virus so hard to avoid, is not just the 14 day incubation period, or that its easy to catch it from other humans, but that any object  can be contaminated with the virus to. How on earth do any of us know if any object is contaminated?..its no longer just about  items or goods arriving from China either of course, the outbreak in Northern Italy looks to be the catalyst for a Europe wide outbreak...just my opinion but seems to me that Covid-19 will race thru all nations and populations...Africa to will not escape. Looks like humans wearing face masks will become the norm in the next few months...and face mask manufacturers being one of the few making a nice fat profit from Coronavirus.

6 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

What makes this virus so hard to avoid, is not just the 14 day incubation period, or that its easy to catch it from other humans, but that any object  can be contaminated with the virus to

Viruses are commonly found on surfaces, they will normally die after a couple of days, I dont believe we know how long this one survives. Its most important to thoroughly wash hands on a regular basis and try not to touch your face, mouth, nose and eyes.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, First Wazzock said:

You've got to hand it to China it's the only thing that's come out of the country and lasted longer than a month...

Probably find it cropping up in the 5G network in due course

9 hours ago, Van wink said:

Government advising people to self isolate, not sure if people actually understand what that means. 

Unfortunately there are millions of people that simply can't afford to self isolate. At least two weeks off work with no cover, no safety net of sick pay, insecure jobs.

• Like 1

I am sure will we overcome this pandemic at some stage but it is very worrying for the future. From where it originated, it has managed to make its mark everywhere.

Never mind nuclear deterrents, treaties pacification.etc, it is a weapon in the wrong people's hands.

20 hours ago, Herman said:

Unfortunately there are millions of people that simply can't afford to self isolate. At least two weeks off work with no cover, no safety net of sick pay, insecure jobs.

If only we all had a grace and favour country mansion that we could disappear to. 😀

7 minutes ago, TCCANARY said:

If only we all had a grace and favour country mansion that we could disappear to. 😀

"Health Secretary Matt Hancock said people who have doctors orders to self-isolate over coronavirus are entitled to take it off as sick leave.

It comes after more than 7,000 people have been tested for coronavirus in the UK. Of those, 13 have tested positive, while eight have since been discharged." 

Poor old TCC.....slips up again😀

People on zero hour contracts, agency staff etc don't have the pleasure of sick leave. The joys of the gig economy. 

13 minutes ago, Herman said:

People on zero hour contracts, agency staff etc don't have the pleasure of sick leave. The joys of the gig economy. 

I suspect this is true and they almost certainly likely can't afford 'key' man insurance and similar. It'll be fun when it hits parliament and the MP's let alone 'cabinet'. Atishoo, atishoo, atishoo ....