paul moy

Wuhan coronavirus

4 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

The real death rate is likely very low. Far more people are infected with either unrecorded mild or no symptoms than the 2% or so of reported cases.

That said, I'm sure it's very difficult to stop it spreading and eventually it will also be here and yes most of us will catch it like the related common cold. Let's hope it doesn't mutate to something worse.

The trick is to slow its spread until the summer and hopefully a vaccine as currently we have no immunity... unlike colds and flu.

In this endeavour one can only praise the Chinese for their efforts. Can you imagine us locking down Norwich let alone London?

The Chinese doctor who was among the first to raise the alarm about the new coronavirus was confirmed dead on Friday morning, but only after state media reported he passed away from the virus before a U-turn hours later amid an outpouring of grief and anger.

The Communist Party-controlled Global Times said on Thursday evening that Dr Li Wenliang, a 34-year-old ophthalmologist, had died at 9:30pm local time after contracting the virus. 

Chinese authorities had targeted Dr Li in late December after he urged fellow medics to wear protective clothing to work in a post on social media in which he warned about a cluster of flu-like cases at Wuhan Central Hospital. He shared information about seven patients who were in quarantine.

But four days after Dr Li’s initial warning on social media the local Public Security Bureau accused the doctor of “making false comments” that had “disturbed the social order”. 

He was one of eight people the police reprimanded for “spreading rumours” in the early days of the outbreak - when China was tightly controlling the narrative - and was forced to sign a letter stating that he would not publicly discuss his concerns again. 

I know some people who work in quite senior positions in a major London hospital. I wasn't worried about Coronavirus until I had a chat with them yesterday.

Of the more public domain things they mentioned, they referenced the visible response of the Chinese government as extremely abnormal: quarantined cities, mass disinfectant sprays of the streets, emergency "hospitals". 

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Why didn't some of you get this worried when Australia was literally on fire??

'the death of a single person diminishes me' is a quote by someone but I don't remember who

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Because a spell of rainy weather isnt going to wash this away. China's major ports now in lockdown. How do you think this is going to affect supply chains Herman? 

Edited by ricardo

On one hand clear evidence that the human race needs to change its ways or else the planet will become increasinly uninhabitable.

Meh!!

On the other clear evidence that the human race needs to change its ways or else the planet will become increasingly uninhabitable.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! Won't somebody think of the children.

And don't pretend you've started to care about the world economy. You haven't given a fig about your own country's for the last four years.

51 minutes ago, Herman said:

And don't pretend you've started to care about the world economy. You haven't given a fig about your own country's for the last four years.

Thankfully we have taken the correct path just in time on that front.

Edited by ricardo

5 hours ago, Herman said:

Because, as of yet, Australian bush fires aren't being transmitted human-human

The Aussie bush fires and this virus have given Assad carte blanche to escalate his illegal barrel bombing of what is left of "rebel" Syria. Guess the media have had enough of that news now.

The ZeroHedge website were banned from twitter for "spreading conspiracy theories" about the origins of the Coronavirus, which kinda suggests that Western governments are getting somewhat concerned about events. If you read what ZeroHedge were saying it looks more like fact than conspiracy:

The White House has good reason to question the official story as evolutionary biologist Dr. James Lyons-Weiler of the Institute for Pure and Applied Knowledge, showed and explained how the coronavirus' genetic sequence - which has been publicly released by China - contains a unique "middle fragment" encoding a SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) spike protein that appears, according to his genomic analysis, to have been inserted into the 2019-nCoV virus using "pShuttle" technology. This technique can only be done in a lab, as it has never occurred naturally in nature.

“This isn't a 'conspiracy theory', it is a scientific, medical theory,” says Del Bigtree, the Emmy-winning producer and founder of non-profit Informed Consent Action Network (ICAN).

“Its foundation is based on sound science, logic, and research, and the mainstream media needs to be asked whether it is going to pursue this link to SARS instead of trying to censor anyone who is trying to pursue truth via scientific fact.”

One additional, major reason we suspect this line of logical reasoning could be correct - as conspiratorial as it may seem - is that Chinese authorities have launched a full-scale crusade to disprove the fact that this deadly virus was man-made.

"Conspiracy theorists don't believe in science. I hope that the national professional department will investigate and give us an innocence," Shi Zhengli, a director at the Wuhan Institute of Virology - the only P4 level biosafety laboratory in China - responded to Caixin on February 4.

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

The ZeroHedge website were banned from twitter for "spreading conspiracy theories" about the origins of the Coronavirus, which kinda suggests that Western governments are getting somewhat concerned about events. If you read what ZeroHedge were saying it looks more like fact than conspiracy:

The White House has good reason to question the official story as evolutionary biologist Dr. James Lyons-Weiler of the Institute for Pure and Applied Knowledge, showed and explained how the coronavirus' genetic sequence - which has been publicly released by China - contains a unique "middle fragment" encoding a SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) spike protein that appears, according to his genomic analysis, to have been inserted into the 2019-nCoV virus using "pShuttle" technology. This technique can only be done in a lab, as it has never occurred naturally in nature.

“This isn't a 'conspiracy theory', it is a scientific, medical theory,” says Del Bigtree, the Emmy-winning producer and founder of non-profit Informed Consent Action Network (ICAN).

“Its foundation is based on sound science, logic, and research, and the mainstream media needs to be asked whether it is going to pursue this link to SARS instead of trying to censor anyone who is trying to pursue truth via scientific fact.”

One additional, major reason we suspect this line of logical reasoning could be correct - as conspiratorial as it may seem - is that Chinese authorities have launched a full-scale crusade to disprove the fact that this deadly virus was man-made.

"Conspiracy theorists don't believe in science. I hope that the national professional department will investigate and give us an innocence," Shi Zhengli, a director at the Wuhan Institute of Virology - the only P4 level biosafety laboratory in China - responded to Caixin on February 4.

https://falseprophets635728819.wordpress.com/2018/04/11/dear-fda-vaccine-denier-free-speech-opponent-james-lyons-weiler-is-not-qualified/

53 minutes ago, MooreMarriot said:

There seems to be as much bickering in the scientific community as the Pinkun forum:

Hey, RT – Thanks for all the free press.

You will enjoy my rebuttal.

(1) Um, fundraising for IPAK to fund the research activity MEANS paying those who do research. Do you think research is free? I mean, March of Dimes pays their people. As does Salvation Army. In fact, ALL cancer research foundations pay their staff. What do you think fundraising is for?
(2) I blocked you because you were getting boring, and redundant.
(3) I block all who use the term “anti-vax” because I am not “anti-vax”, and I find the term to be a slur. And it gets boring and redundant. The term is “Vaccine Risk Aware”.
(4) I left the University of Pittsburgh due to lay-offs, not in disgrace. Skeptical Raptor, and you, are playing with fire to malign a person’s good character, which is, of course, why you hide like cowards behind anonymous identities. I stayed in Pittsburgh and turned down a very good job offer elsewhere to finishing rearing my two sons. Who, btw, are both vaccinated.
(5) I’m 100% sure the FDA will completely ignore anonymous bloggists. You could be a Russian hack for all we know. A Russian clown. Yes, that is what I think you are.
(6) I MADE the video in which I refer to current vaccines as “filthy, nasty vials of toxic sludge” – and I was correct to say so, and use the caveat “current” – no one “CAUGHT” me on video, you dolt.
(7) Your personal attacks endear me to the vaccine risk aware crowd. Donations to IPAK are up! Thank you! For the interested, visit http://ipaknowledge.org
(8) Also, please see https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0946672X17300950 – it’s an Original Research Article, not an opinion, and presents … Original Research. The Open Access option was offered for a fee AFTER peer review. Unlike your blog, which is… nothing, really.
(9) Your ilk blocked me first. Pot, meet kettle, indeed: https://jameslyonsweiler.com/a-pro-vaccine-contingent-fails-to-distinguish-an-objective-pro-vaccine-rational-scientist-from-an-antivaxxertted-that-pres/ The biased Dr. Peter Hotez blocked me on his PloS One blog well before you began trolling me across social media: https://jameslyonsweiler.com/2017/01/24/rational-discourse-on-flaws-in-vaccine-flaws-in-vaccine-safety-studies-elicit-irrational-responses-from-plos-plosblog/
(10) You are a laughable oaf. Thanks again for all the attention. I mean, my own supporters don’t spread my message as well as you do!
(11) FDA has taken down their webpage describing the utterly flawed Mitkus et al. “study”. It was just math.

Anyway, that kerfuffle was about vaccines, as I understand it, whereas we're trying to understand the Coronavirus here.

On 08/02/2020 at 15:00, Herman said:

On one hand clear evidence that the human race needs to change its ways or else the planet will become increasinly uninhabitable.

Meh!!

On the other clear evidence that the human race needs to change its ways or else the planet will become increasingly uninhabitable.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! Won't somebody think of the children

Herman, it really is refreshing to see that the armchair climate sceptics have now become armchair epidemiologists...the world truly is in safe hands. 🤭🤣

Apples

• Haha 1

On 08/02/2020 at 20:10, Rock The Boat said:

So somebody is backing my original idea that a lab started it.   

16 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Great news Paul, does this mean we can go back to eating bats? 🤔

Apples

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, paul moy said:

No one but an anti-vaccination crank and  paranoid conspiracy theorist with no  relevant expertise ,  qualifications or evidence to back up anything he says.

Edited by MooreMarriot
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, paul moy said:

pure speculation.

What isn't speculation is the fact that it is doubling every six days. Until that figure changes we need to be super vigilant. You don't shut down entire Cities if its just a touch of the flu.

6 hours ago, Mr Apples said:

Herman, it really is refreshing to see that the armchair climate sceptics have now become armchair epidemiologists...the world truly is in safe hands. 🤭🤣

Apples

Any views on the virus?

37 minutes ago, ricardo said:

What isn't speculation is the fact that it is doubling every six days. Until that figure changes we need to be super vigilant. You don't shut down entire Cities if its just a touch of the flu.

It’s not a touch of the flu if you react badly, a low death rate is only reassuring if there is are a limited number of infections. Not surprising to see Remainers unable to grasp what’s actually happening here. I suspect they will soon be blaming those unlucky enough to get the infection for being dumb and breathing too often.

Remainers, and normal people in general, tend to look at the whole evidence and not just some opinion piece in the Daily Mail. 

19 minutes ago, Herman said:

Remainers, and normal people in general, tend to look at the whole evidence and not just some opinion piece in the Daily Mail. 

So how are you getting it so wrong so often?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Herman said:

I'm surprised that remainers are not doing their usual scaremongering........... 🤣

I'm getting it right. It's just that there are far more people that read opinion pieces in the Daily Mail. It's simple maths.

The Chinese authorities, surely who had the power to,  did not close down the animal food markets where SARS originated, back in 2003. Instead they let them exist, for the whims of the Chinese people who have a  fondness it seems to eat all manner of creatures, live and dead, in an environment that seemingly is beyond the imagination of  us Europeans. You reap what you sow and now this new virus, which has similarities to the Sars virus reportedly, but with a new and evolving  chemistry, has brought the world and in particular the Chinese, a new virus  named Coronavirus.

Its still early days but this virus, unlike Sars, has all the hallmarks to indeed be a global pandemic. But the big unknown is still yet to be seen, how many, or what percentage of victims lose their lives to this virus, outside of China itself. So far there has only been two reported deaths outside of China but its the coming weeks and months that will ensue to give  us all a better answer to that.

56 minutes ago, Herman said:

I'm getting it right. It's just that there are far more people that read opinion pieces in the Daily Mail. It's simple maths.

You seem more concerned about the Daily Mail than actually trying to understand this. Get over your prejudice and open your mind a bit.