Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Turning on Farke

It is sad to see people starting to turn on Farke. It really is not his fault that the board have not backed him. And, in truth, he has worked miracles given the utter shambles he started with. Short memories from some- not so long ago we were staring another possible league one return in the face. The bottom line is that Alex Ferguson would struggle to have done much better with the squad we have, the lack of experience and a spend of peanuts in the summer.

The truth is that our squad, even when promoted, comprised some league 1 standard players (Heise, Srbeny, etc) - many mid champ level (Hanley, Trybull, Leitner, Zimmo) some top champ (Onel, Lewis, Vrancic, etc) and almost no prem quality (Pukki on form- er that is it) Yes in that group are also some young lads with value due to future potential- but as of now- the table speaks volumes. Lots of effort but too few points. 

Again not Farke's fault. Lay your anger at the feet of the board- or else buy into the idea that this is all part of a genius plan and be happy. But Farke, for my money, is not to blame. Would be gutted to see him made the scapegoat. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

It is sad to see people starting to turn on Farke. It really is not his fault that the board have not backed him. And, in truth, he has worked miracles given the utter shambles he started with. Short memories from some- not so long ago we were staring another possible league one return in the face. The bottom line is that Alex Ferguson would struggle to have done much better with the squad we have, the lack of experience and a spend of peanuts in the summer.

The truth is that our squad, even when promoted, comprised some league 1 standard players (Heise, Srbeny, etc) - many mid champ level (Hanley, Trybull, Leitner, Zimmo) some top champ (Onel, Lewis, Vrancic, etc) and almost no prem quality (Pukki on form- er that is it) Yes in that group are also some young lads with value due to future potential- but as of now- the table speaks volumes. Lots of effort but too few points. 

Again not Farke's fault. Lay your anger at the feet of the board- or else buy into the idea that this is all part of a genius plan and be happy. But Farke, for my money, is not to blame. Would be gutted to see him made the scapegoat. 

Spot on and backed by all the evidence anyone could ask for. 

I think people are criticising Farke for valid reasons, things he should be doing better that are in his control but for some reason he isn’t, such as making subs wary enough or changing things tactically when it’s obvious that it’s not quite working.

He’s done really well to get this squad promoted but do not be blind to his faults and a seeming unwillingness to learn and apply lessons from earlier in the season.

• Like 2

I dont think I would turn on Farke. Certain things do frustrate me about him, especially his late subs, but im being picky and he has worked miracles at NCFC.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

I dont think I would turn on Farke. Certain things do frustrate me about him, especially his late subs, but im being picky and he has worked miracles at NCFC.

This is exactly how I feel. He's a fantastic, intelligent bloke who is on a very steep learning curve. The late substitutions are increasingly starting to boil my p*ss, but otherwise he's doing a sterling job with very limited resources.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

This is exactly how I feel. He's a fantastic, intelligent bloke who is on a very steep learning curve. The late substitutions are increasingly starting to boil my p*ss, but otherwise he's doing a sterling job with very limited resources.

Boiling your p*ss lol

I agree about the late subs, and was frustrated yesterday that changes were not made - but being objective, we should have scored just prior to Tottenham's second and IMO we looked far worse once Hernandez came on than we had done previously.

Perhaps it's just a case that we simply don't have the quality in the squad.

People aren't turning on Farke, there's just a couple of posters who have to go OTT about it and people then think that's the norm. The posters slating Farke are in such a minority - just ignore them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I don't disagree but - and this is only a guess - in this one case he may have been about to make a sub or two, but then we scored. Three players had been warming up.

Who's turning on him?

I would suggest it's people who were never with him in the first place. And will never be happy until we tar & feather Delia, get a stinking rich Chinese hinvestor who wees money up the wall on a collection of players with huge reputations (so they can boast to their mates at work) who fail spectacularly as a team & end up in League 1.

Then they'd be REALLY happy, because they'd be able to moan incessantly, which is what they enjoy most in life.

Edited by ron obvious
  • Haha 1

I think its fair to say Rupp is clearly not a winger. Paddy Davitt scored him a 7 for last nights display, but I thought he offered very little in that position. Very hard to judge a player this early on and he does need time to settle in, despite us not having that privilege.

Edited by jaberry2

1 minute ago, jaberry2 said:

I think its fair to say Rupp is clearly not a winger. Paddy Davitt scored him a 7 for last nights display, but I thought he offered very little in that position. Very hard to judge a player this early on and he does need time to settle in, despite us not having that privilege.

Yes, I think last night was one where you start with Onel & bring Rupp in to shore things up.

I do wish Daniel would have a strategy as to how to use his subs. as part of the game plan.

• Like 1

Madness to even question the man IMO, think back to the dark days of Houghton. We play some great football and its always a pleasure to watch us. 

Once again with such a limited squad, we've lost another premier league game by one goal. 

Just imagine if the board actually had an ounce of ambition about them at the start of the season.... a real shame.

Best manager we've had, most exciting squad we've had for a long time, best young prospects in a long time and we dont back the manager.

Its madness. 

• Like 2

Its completely ridiculous to attack Farke. 

Yes he makes errors sometimes. 

But he's a good young manager who we are lucky to have. 

If Rupp and Duda had come in start of season, with no defensive injuries, then who know what might have been. 

To blame him or question him is moronic, he engineered the best season anyone has seen, and is still clinging on to staying up with criminal backing. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I don't disagree but - and this is only a guess - in this one case he may have been about to make a sub or two, but then we scored. Three players had been warming up.

Yes, but if he had have made those subs, he'd have been making them when we were 1-0 down. My point is that he never makes changes until 80+ minutes when we are level or ahead.

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

Yes, but if he had have made those subs, he'd have been making them when we were 1-0 down. My point is that he never makes changes until 80+ minutes when we are level or ahead.

Fair enough. As I said, I agree with the basic complaint. I think it is a flaw with Farke, but one that can be eradicated.

4 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Absolutely demonstrably not true. 

I have two key areas of concern with Farke- game management and squad management.

Outside of that, I think the issues with this season stem almost entirely from the lack of serious investment in improving the squad over the summer. Hard to analyse a manager working with one hand tied behind his back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nono said:

Absolutely demonstrably not true. 

I had said in a previous post on the subject that I couldn't call to mind an occasion where he had made subs earlier than 75+ minutes when we were level or ahead in a match. If it's demonstrably untrue, I am more than open to being presented with information to the contrary! I didn't say it hadn't happened, just that I couldn't remember it happening.

• Like 1

The club is probably out of it’s depth being in The Premiership under the present regime compared to other clubs setups. The stadium needs upgrading re main stand, toilets food vending area’s etc. It’s only this season that the dressing rooms have been upgraded and that was a league rule. Literally millions need to be spent just to survive and despite all the money this club has received through sell out season tickets over the years and selling players we always seem to have no money. 

Farke has done an outstanding job with us. Some seem to forget the mess we were in when he took over and the subsequent loss of our main attacking outlet in Maddison. Not only did he get us promoted on a restricted budget, he did so while giving youth a chance and changing the way we play football. We are in a position now where we should be self-sufficient. That didn’t look likely three years ago.

As others have mentioned, it’s a steep learning curve and one that he has to deal with under the intense scrutiny that comes with being in the Premier League. That said, there are areas he can get better at. Improvements in defence, set pieces in particular, and a willingness to make substitutions a tad earlier would be nice.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, daly said:

The club is probably out of it’s depth being in The Premiership under the present regime compared to other clubs setups. The stadium needs upgrading re main stand, toilets food vending area’s etc. It’s only this season that the dressing rooms have been upgraded and that was a league rule. Literally millions need to be spent just to survive and despite all the money this club has received through sell out season tickets over the years and selling players we always seem to have no money. 

Couldn’t the membership scheme pay for some of that ?

I's still fully behind Farke, but have some concerns.

Firstly, his inability to utilise the squad as a whole is frustrating. I don't buy the line 'he can only work with what he's got' - he's got more available to him than he choses to use, for whatever reason that might be. But it isn't about quality, Leitner and Amadou, for example, definitely have enough about them to have made some positive impact.

As for the CDM and centre back roles, Webber can't be blamed for not recruiting the players when Farke continually praises the likes of Tettey and Zimmerman, and plays them week in week out. I made the point on another thread, this club should not be in a position where it relies on a 33 year old Alex Tettey in the EPL. And I think that's more to do with Farke than recruitment. The Ben Godfrey thing too. I understand he has potential to be a quality centre back. But that doesn't mean he can't ever play CDM again, does it? Surely he could get experience in both positions. I know how Farke see's him, but he's not actually seen Godfrey play the CDM role for us to make a reasoned judgment, surely? 

Secondly, and this has been done to death recently, his in-game-adaptability is virtually non-existent. I firmly believe this has cost us a substantial number of points recently. 

Despite this, if Farke and Webber are committed to the next two seasons and have a plan in place, I'm happy to back them in the hope this sees us return to the premiership in a stronger position. One things for sure though, we need to be investing a bit more than we are for quality players. Not ten's of millions, but even Brentford spent £5 million on a centre half in the summer. Pontus Janssen, would have a been a perfect signing for us, wouldn't he?

Farke often mentions the lack of spending as a factor in our inabilities to compete, but I do wonder how much this is down to Farke wanting to play certain players, resulting in Webber not recruiting replacements. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm sure Webber wouldn't sit back if Farke was knocking on his door saying we need to upgrade Tettey and Zim asap. Webber doesn't just buy players using a scatter gun approach, and throw them to Farke to use. Farke must have a say as to what he thinks he needs. Which makes the Rupp signing, a little bizarre. 

I don't think Farke should be immune from criticism as I do think he has got things wrong this season but I also agree with the fundamental point of this thread which is that he is not the issue here and has been slightly hung out to dry by our owners and board.

I was watching a short video documentary about Brentford yesterday. Do you know what their "target" is, this club that get about 10,000 for home games. Premier League Football. None of this "top 26" b*****ks that gives all involved a get out for when we get relegated and in my view leads to a lack of desire/pressure to stay up which permeates everything we have done this season.

1 hour ago, Fred Flintstone said:

delia out stinking rich Chinese investors in 

Too risky with this coronavirus around.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I don't think Farke should be immune from criticism as I do think he has got things wrong this season but I also agree with the fundamental point of this thread which is that he is not the issue here and has been slightly hung out to dry by our owners and board.

I was watching a short video documentary about Brentford yesterday. Do you know what their "target" is, this club that get about 10,000 for home games. Premier League Football. None of this "top 26" b*****ks that gives all involved a get out for when we get relegated and in my view leads to a lack of desire/pressure to stay up which permeates everything we have done this season.

Again? Hung out to dry suggests that he had no knowledge of our financial constraints and had no choice but to grin and bear it.

2 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I think people are criticising Farke for valid reasons, things he should be doing better that are in his control but for some reason he isn’t, such as making subs wary enough or changing things tactically when it’s obvious that it’s not quite working.

He’s done really well to get this squad promoted but do not be blind to his faults and a seeming unwillingness to learn and apply lessons from earlier in the season.

He is frustrating with subs but a lack of depth in the squad due to the poor recruitment in the summer means it's very difficult for him to change a game. Yesterday, Zimmerman didn't track Dele Ali for the first goal after Cantwell failed to clear. Both individual mistakes that both are bound to make as they are playing above their level. Second goal Krul & Arrons get in each other way... these mistakes happen week in week out but he can not change it as they are the best he has... couple that with the fact we have run Pukki into the ground and he has understandable gone off the boil.... It's a squad not built for the premiership. As someone with connections to the club told me last night, the board "could not afford to go up last season" ... anyone on Farke's back is not looking at the facts.

30 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

The Top 26 target is an absolute joke. Its a "get out" / throw away quote designed to suggest that relegation is fine & we were planning for it. Why compete unless you give yourselves challenging targets and actually give yourselves the tools to try and achieve those targets.

2 hours ago, Nono said:

Its completely ridiculous to attack Farke. 

Yes he makes errors sometimes. 

But he's a good young manager who we are lucky to have. 

If Rupp and Duda had come in start of season, with no defensive injuries, then who know what might have been. 

To blame him or question him is moronic, he engineered the best season anyone has seen, and is still clinging on to staying up with criminal backing. 

The backing isn't criminal, it's just the way it is and I'm sure he knew it at the beginning of the season. Surely it's Webber who spends the ££ on the team, not Farke.