Sign in to follow this  
Canary Jedi

We can still do this!

13 hours ago, sgncfc said:

And before I'm accused, I absolutely do not want Farke to go - but it would be nice if he could learn.

Not about him learning anything, in my opinion. He has admitted on multiple occasions that he'd like to buy a striker, a CB etc. The simple fact is, he can't as we can't afford to bring someone in who would dramatically improve the team.

Also, it's been said so much but, it isn't all the CB's or even the defence's fault that we're conceding. In the style we play, our defending has to start from the front! This is why you see Teemu, Emi and Todd getting back so much. In reality, our midfield is often bypassed too easily and that's where the issue lies. Although we could do better from set-pieces, we also utilise zonal marking which means lots of player marking space. So, tell me, how is that the CB's fault again if we concede from a corner because someone in the box is not doing their job properly? If you look at some of these goals there have been instances where a CB has missed a header or something but a lot of those have come from non-defensive players not doing their jobs properly.

Edited by BobLoz3

4 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

It doesn’t matter who we play, we just don’t seem to be good enough to do it

The opposition may deliver us a late uppercut knock out blow......but we give them a nasty an' sore Chinese burn before they do.....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Canary Jedi said:

Two wins and we’re back in the game

Three points on this:

1) All the other teams also play two games, and as there are so many teams bunched up close above us, that line between 17th and 18th is likely to keep inching upwards in the meantime.

2) Even if we win two games, that puts us - at best - on a level with the team above us. We then have to go on collecting points in order to get out of the bottom three, and even more points to stay there.

3) After Newcastle, our next three games are against Liverpool (1st), Wolves (7th, or 5th if they get a point tonight) and Leicester (3rd). Nothing is impossible, but those are incredibly tough games against teams fighting for European places (or, in Liverpool's case, simply the best team in the world right now).

1 hour ago, Mello Yello said:

The opposition may deliver us a late uppercut knock out blow......but we give them a nasty an' sore Chinese burn before they do.....

Frustrates the heck out of me, I know we can do it and yet we just seem to get overrawed by it every week

3 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

Not about him learning anything, in my opinion. He has admitted on multiple occasions that he'd like to buy a striker, a CB etc. The simple fact is, he can't as we can't afford to bring someone in who would dramatically improve the team.

Also, it's been said so much but, it isn't all the CB's or even the defence's fault that we're conceding. In the style we play, our defending has to start from the front! This is why you see Teemu, Emi and Todd getting back so much. In reality, our midfield is often bypassed too easily and that's where the issue lies. Although we could do better from set-pieces, we also utilise zonal marking which means lots of player marking space. So, tell me, how is that the CB's fault again if we concede from a corner because someone in the box is not doing their job properly? If you look at some of these goals there have been instances where a CB has missed a header or something but a lot of those have come from non-defensive players not doing their jobs properly.

I agree - but the defending isn't good enough throughout the team, whether its at the front or the back. We allow far too many crosses and we simply don't have the players to play zonal effectively. One decent centre back would make all the difference - and maybe Klose would have been that man - but I'd rather we'd spent £55k a week on one of them rather than a back-up goalkeeper.

1 minute ago, sgncfc said:

I agree - but the defending isn't good enough throughout the team, whether its at the front or the back. We allow far too many crosses and we simply don't have the players to play zonal effectively. One decent centre back would make all the difference - and maybe Klose would have been that man - but I'd rather we'd spent £55k a week on one of them rather than a back-up goalkeeper.

Again, we had 4 CB's at the start of the season and they were all fit.

I don't know how many times we have to debate it.

There wasn't really a need, whereas a back-up GK was definitely needed. Would you have wanted to go through this entire Prem season with Michael McGovern as the only one pushing Krul??

Nope. Me neither!

Get your points on the other bits, though 🙂

6 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Again, we had 4 CB's at the start of the season and they were all fit.

I don't know how many times we have to debate it.

There wasn't really a need, whereas a back-up GK was definitely needed. Would you have wanted to go through this entire Prem season with Michael McGovern as the only one pushing Krul??

Nope. Me neither!

Get your points on the other bits, though 🙂

Not quite sure that was the case. We started with a suspect/injured T Klose, a CB called G Hanley who was not considered good enough for this league and was apparently going out on loan, a 19/20 CB with great potential and no experience at this level and a superb German chap who had just had the season of his career with us having come from the 3rd tier overseas. On top of that we desperately needed a DM to help our defence who had leaked goals like a sieve in the championship.

Considering all of the above we have done very well to keep in touch with the others.

31 minutes ago, East Rider said:

Not quite sure that was the case. We started with a suspect/injured T Klose, a CB called G Hanley who was not considered good enough for this league and was apparently going out on loan, a 19/20 CB with great potential and no experience at this level and a superb German chap who had just had the season of his career with us having come from the 3rd tier overseas. On top of that we desperately needed a DM to help our defence who had leaked goals like a sieve in the championship.

Considering all of the above we have done very well to keep in touch with the others.

I don't know what you're on about.

Klose got injured in a Carabao Cup Game about a week into when the season had started. Hanley was only ruled "not good enough" by fans, not the management (and he's hardly let us down when called upon this season), Godfrey is one of the hottest young CB prospects out there and Zimbo is Zimbo.

We then signed Amadou, a DM who could also play at CB (although it appears he ain't quite as up to it as thought).

I think it would have been nice to sign a CB, but no guarantees that they'll be any good or any better than what we had available.

Edited by BobLoz3
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

I don't know what you're on about.

Klose got injured in a Carabao Cup Game about a week into when the season had started. Hanley was only ruled "not good enough" by fans, not the management (and he's hardly let us down when called upon this season), Godfrey is one of the hottest young CB prospects out there and Zimbo is Zimbo.

We then signed Amadou, a DM who could also play at CB (although it appears he ain't quite as up to it as thought).

I think it would have been nice to sign a CB, but no guarantees that they'll be any good or any better than what we had available.

However, I do know what I'm on about:

Below are two lifts direct from the Pink un. They clearly state that Timm Klose was not 100% fit for the start of the season which was relatively known at the time. He had also missed quite a bit of the season.

'The Switzerland International missed the start of the season because of hip trouble, and then suffered what turned out to be a long term issue on his first appearance in the Carabao cup at Crawley.'

'Klose's last league game for the Canaries was the dramatic 2-2 draw with Sheffield Wednesday at Carrow Road in April.'

Grant Hanley (who I believe has been excellent for us) was linked last summer to a couple of clubs with a loan in mind. That is not because supporters felt he was not good enough, but the coaching staff felt they could let him go I suspect. However, he wanted to stay and fight for his place, thank god he did!

Godfrey, despite being one of the hottest prospects out there (and again I agree) was only 19 without any PL experience.

Zimbo is a warrior and exemplifies the personality of this club. However, it can not be ignored where he came from, his lack of PL experience and the goals we let in, in the championship (which was as much to do with midfield).

So my opinion is that we needed another CB (whether on loan or not) and perhaps a proven striker, perhaps someone who knew the club. 

• Like 1

Look, my OP is about the future, not about why we are here and what might have been. 

2 wins might still mean we are bottom but will probably be within touching distance from safety, so it’s not out of the question we can still do it, albeit history will say we’ve got no chance.

Then again Leicester had no chance of winning the Premier League so you can never say never. 

So let’s plan for the worst, and hope for the best. Better to be positive than negative right?

The point is if we are negative and the players feel that negativity, then we really haven’t got a chance. 

It was great at full time at Spurs, majority stayed to cheer the team, message = “we will back you to the death” - proud to be part of that, even if ultimately futile ... so I’m not giving in yet!

• Like 2

Thinking about getting a box of monogrammed white handkerchiefs for the poster who can prove they gave up the earliest.....

39 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

Look, my OP is about the future, not about why we are here and what might have been. 2 wins might still mean we are bottom but will probably be within touching distance from safety, so it’s not out of the question we can still do it, albeit history will say we’ve got no chance.

Then again Leicester had no chance of winning the Premier League so you can never say never. So let’s plan for the worst, and hope for the best. Better to be positive than negative right?

The point is if we are negative and the players feel that negativity, then we really haven’t got a chance. 

It was great at full time at Spurs, majority stayed to cheer the team, message = “we will back you to the death” - proud to be part of that, even if ultimately futile ... so I’m not giving in yet!

This is the mentality I wish more people would show - that the past is the past and what is ahead has not been decided, so to look at the future with an open mind.

Things can go either way, but we really have been so close to winning games so many times that for me, if we can just get a tiny bit of momentum going, we could still have a good end to the season. Daniel Farke is a bit special - and he is strong enough to keep to his beliefs in the way football should be played. That can only be good, whether whether we stay up or not. 

I love this “I’m not giving in yet” as if you’re donning your boots and getting stuck into the next game! You nor I have any influence by talking on here, not one city fan WANTS relegation, not one city fan WONT get behind the team and players come game day and if you accept that relegation is on the horizon you release the pressure on the players and manager, you don’t start new stupid threads questioning Farke, the clubs spending etc. but enjoy the fact that we won the championship with our own young players, we didn’t buy promotion we earned it, the players earned the right to play here and when we get relegated they will have the option to be part of this again or leave......but we will go on.

4 wins all season, be it we’re unlucky not to have more mean it’s 95% likely we won’t get out of this, reality is we’re going to have to gain 6 points on teams who have bigger and better squads than we have. Our youngsters are on a learning curve but unfortunately we don’t have the quality in depth, so I’m happy to see Farke start to build for next season this window.

• Like 2

Well I'm not giving up Indy. And I can't see how someone can give up for the whole week except 90 mins game time on a Saturday when they suddenly believe in the team.

We need to get points on the board fast too. I'd say we need 4 points minimum out of our next three fixtures e.g. a win against Newcastle and a draw against Leicester, because the chances of getting anything other than a drubbing against Liverpool are remote. Lose all three of those games (or get, say, a point) and I think we've had it.

34 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Well I'm not giving up Indy. And I can't see how someone can give up for the whole week except 90 mins game time on a Saturday when they suddenly believe in the team.

Nothing to do with suddenly believing in the team, it’s supporting your team! If you believe we can stay up that’s your prerogative, I don’t believe we’ll stay up as I said it’s about accepting the inevitable like death! It’s going to happen no matter how much you won’t give up, might as well accept it and enjoy the ride......

Edited by Indy

4 hours ago, Indy said:

Nothing to do with suddenly believing in the team, it’s supporting your team! If you believe we can stay up that’s your prerogative, I don’t believe we’ll stay up as I said it’s about accepting the inevitable like death! It’s going to happen no matter how much you won’t give up, might as well accept it and enjoy the ride......

Still don't see it Indy. What if we win a couple of games and the "we are staying up" chant starts up. Do you join in with "we are going down"?

Next we'll be hearing heart v head arguments and "hope I'm wrong".

Now about these hankies...

Did anyone give up in August?

🙃

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Still don't see it Indy. What if we win a couple of games and the "we are staying up" chant starts up. Do you join in with "we are going down"?

Next we'll be hearing heart v head arguments and "hope I'm wrong".

Now about these hankies...

Did anyone give up in August?

🙃

Nothing to do with hope I’m wrong, just accepting that 24 games gone and 4 wins doesn’t rule my head, we won’t win 7 games in the last 14 left that’s on par with top 6 form!.

Acceptance is very good for the soul! You don’t then get all upset at the certainty of relegation nutty. 😉👍

41 minutes ago, Indy said:

Nothing to do with hope I’m wrong, just accepting that 24 games gone and 4 wins doesn’t rule my head, we won’t win 7 games in the last 14 left that’s on par with top 6 form!.

Acceptance is very good for the soul! You don’t then get all upset at the certainty of relegation nutty. 😉👍

You do realise we can only get relegated once?

And it hasn't happened yet🙃👍

40 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

You do realise we can only get relegated once?

And it hasn't happened yet🙃👍

Yes and it will come in May my friend 👍 but we go again with a great manager, great team and solid club......💛💚

Edited by Indy
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Indy said:

Yes and it will come in May my friend 👍 but we go again with a great manager, great team and solid club......💛💚

But with over a third of the season to be played before then nobody knows what will happen. We could be "going again" in the Premier League... 

Edited by nutty nigel

2 hours ago, Indy said:

Acceptance is very good for the soul! You don’t then get all upset at the certainty of relegation

"Accepting is good for the soul"....yes it is......so how about accepting that results in football are uncertain? Instead of thinking something is certain....like thinking there was no way we were going to beat Man City for instance....if people had accepted there was uncertainty about it, they would have been much more accurate in their thoughts.

People seem to want certainty all the time....it's as if it makes them feel better to be certain about something, but accepting uncertainty is what gives you the buzz at a cup final - like the play off final for instance....the not knowing what the outcome is going to be...hoping, but not expecting......and it's actually what is delicious about following football. 

There is ALWAYS a chance of good or bad things happening in football matches - it is totally uncertain what will happen.  Like when we were near the bottom of the championship last season, there was no certainty that we would be relegated, any more than it was certain that we would get over the line to get promoted.

Accept the uncertainty that any outcome is possible - good or bad - then every moment of every match becomes like a cup final. Like being 3-0 down with ten minutes to go in a match and still believing that any outcome is still possible.  It works brilliantly well, it makes every single moment of every match come alive and that it isn't over until it is over.....like this season is not over yet, however "certain" that people think it is.  It is those that are certain that are misguided imo, like those who walked out of the match against Forest last season at 3-0 down, certain we had been well defeated....yet we weren't.

So yes acceptance is good for the soul, so, accept uncertainty - you won't be disappointed, in fact it will improve your watching experience....the knowledge that however bad things get, knowing that there is always the chance things can change quite quickly for the better, like against Forest and Millwall last season....and then you start to anticipate it, you believe anything can happen and you relish it all the more when it happens because you believed it was possible.

And yes, Lapps, if you are looking in, that's today's lecture over!

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1