Sign in to follow this  
Canary Jedi

We can still do this!

No we can't there's not a big enough goal spread if pukki or cantwell don't score then no one else does,if you look at all the other teams in the prem they all have a few chipping in with goals we don't otbc

7 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

No we can't there's not a big enough goal spread if pukki or cantwell don't score then no one else does,if you look at all the other teams in the prem they all have a few chipping in with goals we don't otbc

Off with your head.

13 hours ago, Indy said:

You nor I have any influence by talking on here

(late reply, been working!)

I’d like to think that’s not true. If the majority of fans have a negative “we’re already down” mantra then this will ultimately feed through and negatively affect the confidence of the team.

Which was the point of me starting this thread to say this:

(Dambuster music starts to play...)

Although the odds of us staying up are not in our favour, while there is a chance, and we continue to put in performances like Spurs, let’s bloody well get behind our team and join with me when I say “We can still do this!” If enough of us put aside our negative feelings and put that energy instead into pure and undiluted belief in the “little miracle” that could yet happen, then maybe, just maybe it will. Uri Geller firmly believed that the reason Scotland missed that penalty against England in 1996 Euros was because of the overwhelming power of people hoping that McAlister would miss. So let’s do the same for our team. Pukki will get to 20 goals, and other players will start chipping in with goals. Gradually we will creep up the table at which point those around us will start to bottle it. We will make Premier League history! Think this way. Believe and tell others to do likewise.

This is the way. 

• Like 2

Oh dear god! Give me strength, what planet do you have to be on to think we’re going to win 8 from 14 when we’ve won 4 from 24? It’s nothing to do with wishful thinking like Nutty / Lakey and some have but being realistic and preparing for the reality of building for a good championship season....... we are not going to sign, Ronaldo, Van **** and Kane to change our fortune, we go with what we can afford and it’s not quite good enough.

Supporting and wanting the best for your team isn’t being realistic, I want our team to do the treble, in fact Lakey said there’s no reason we couldn’t finish top four! Is that still achievable? ........ support the team get behind them definitely but be realistic, we’re pretty much building for promotion next year.....that’s that.

30 minutes ago, Indy said:

Oh dear god! Give me strength, what planet do you have to be on to think we’re going to win 8 from 14 when we’ve won 4 from 24? It’s nothing to do with wishful thinking like Nutty / Lakey and some have but being realistic and preparing for the reality of building for a good championship season....... we are not going to sign, Ronaldo, Van **** and Kane to change our fortune, we go with what we can afford and it’s not quite good enough.

Supporting and wanting the best for your team isn’t being realistic, I want our team to do the treble, in fact Lakey said there’s no reason we couldn’t finish top four! Is that still achievable? ........ support the team get behind them definitely but be realistic, we’re pretty much building for promotion next year.....that’s that.

Nobody thinks we're going to do it.

Most of us hope we will.

54 minutes ago, Indy said:

It is NOT wishful thinking, except in the sense of all supporters would wish us to do better and get the results we need.

It is just that desire to pigeon hole the rest of the season as somehow being "done" that some of us just can't get our heads around. Why would you write off a season when there are still 14 games to go?  It's slightly barmy imo. We all know the writing is on the wall and that it will take a big change in results to stay up, but that should not transpose to "it can't be done" "the season is over" etc etc.

And talking of preparing for championship - well the best way of doing that is to continue the development, continue the belief in the way we play football - and if we do that, we may even surprise a few people before this season is out. We don't play with pressure and we express ourselves on the pitch really well and we will not be like the clubs immediately above us who will get more tense as the season progresses as they desperately try to cling on. We don't have that desperation - in fact we will get better and better as the team continues developing - and that is what should help us over the next few weeks.

Has anyone ever pulled it back from a more dire position than ours? Genuine question. 

We have to more than double our tally in 14 games. 

Why do people keep saying that we have a chance of staying up if we put in performances like the ones in games we lost? 

We lost those games. Putting in those performances is why we keep losing. 

We're bottom of the league because we keep losing. 

We keep losing because we do keep putting in those performances. 

Is it sinking in yet? 

• Like 1

Promised myself as I staggered out of Villa Park after the minor miracle of last season that no matter how tough things got this season , I would carry on believing in the team until all is lost . Said to myself they’ve earned that from me many times over . Surely I could bloody manage that I said .

All is not lost , getting closer admittedly. And keeping that promise is a f*** sight harder than I’d thought at the time ! But , I don’t think it’s just blind faith . Saw us create enough chances away at Spurs , a top side , to beat them . If we weren’t creating the chances , then maybe .

So small chance of success, everyone’s writing us off , what’s not to like ! 
Keep creating those chances and bring it on ! 

Keeps me going anyway .

Edited by Pockthorpe
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

Has anyone ever pulled it back from a more dire position than ours? Genuine question. 

We have to more than double our tally in 14 games. 

I’d guess one or two on here did last night.

48 minutes ago, Pockthorpe said:

Promised myself as I staggered out of Villa Park after the minor miracle of last season that no matter how tough things got this season , I would carry on believing in the team until all is lost . Said to myself they’ve earned that from me many times over . Surely I could bloody manage that I said .

All is not lost , getting closer admittedly. And keeping that promise is a f*** sight harder than I’d thought at the time ! But , I don’t think it’s just blind faith . Saw us create enough chances away at Spurs , a top side , to beat them . If we weren’t creating the chances , then maybe .

So small chance of success, everyone’s writing us off , what’s not to like ! 
Keep creating those chances and bring it on ! 

Keeps me going anyway .

👍👍😊

5 hours ago, non-scoring strikers said:

Why do people keep saying that we have a chance of staying up if we put in performances like the ones in games we lost? 

We lost those games. Putting in those performances is why we keep losing. 

We're bottom of the league because we keep losing. 

We keep losing because we do keep putting in those performances. 

Is it sinking in yet? 

The only thing that is sinking in is your lack of understanding what the word "performance" means.

We play open football, that is our way. We therefore have to score more goals to counteract the ones we let in at the other end. The performances have been good enough to do that and we create chances, but the finishing has not been good enough.

Is that sinking in yet?? 😐

20 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The only thing that is sinking in is your lack of understanding what the word "performance" means.

We play open football, that is our way. We therefore have to score more goals to counteract the ones we let in at the other end. The performances have been good enough to do that and we create chances, but the finishing has not been good enough.

Is that sinking in yet?? 😐

Would be helpful don't you think Lakey if someone other than Pukki or Cantwell waded in with a few goals ?

12 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Wish I could be that succinct! :classic_unsure:

Finally, something we can all agree on! 😛

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Would be helpful don't you think Lakey if someone other than Pukki or Cantwell waded in with a few goals ?

Yes, indeed. Big defenders from corners, free kicks from Emi and Mclean (imo Mclean has a better free kick in him than Emi) or Vrancic if he can get in and stay in the team, Hernandez, Lewis/Byram/Aarons too.  We had goals all through the team last season, we will need that these next few weeks.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Yes, indeed. Big defenders from corners, free kicks from Emi and Mclean (imo Mclean has a better free kick in him than Emi) or Vrancic if he can get in and stay in the team, Hernandez, Lewis/Byram/Aarons too.  We had goals all through the team last season, we will need that these next few weeks.

Very much doubt it will suddenly start happening in the last third of the season. We don’t score enough because we’re not good enough at this level.

11 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Currently, your mate Srbeny has more PL goals this season than all of our defenders combined! 😉

5 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Currently, your mate Srbeny has more PL goals this season than all of our defenders combined! 😉

That in those few words wolfie highlights the problem we have.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Indy said:

Oh dear god! Give me strength, what planet do you have to be on to think we’re going to win 8 from 14 when we’ve won 4 from 24?

The team is improving all the time so it’s not a correct hypothesis to base our remaining games on the ones so far.

Based on recent performances,  if we can continue playing that way and start converting our chances, yes I think we can get six or seven wins between now and the end of the season. 

If it were the case that we were playing rubbish then I would agree with you Indy.  

10 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

The team is improving all the time so it’s not a correct hypothesis to base our remaining games on the ones so far.

Based on recent performances,  if we can continue playing that way and start converting our chances, yes I think we can get six or seven wins between now and the end of the season. 

If it were the case that we were playing rubbish then I would agree with you Indy.  

I think the counter-argument to this (which is my view, even though I'm a 'Percy positive'), is that we have been playing very well but still been unable to hold on to leads. They say the sign of a good team is that they can scrap out points when they're not at their best; we're the reverse of that. We just can't seem to pick up points even when we're playing really well. That indicates to me that we're just short of the quality required to survive at this level. I look forward to seeing the lads fight tooth and nail, though, and hopefully we can at least make it competitive down the bottom.

Too open. Defence not upgraded in the Summer. We’ll finish 20th but with a huge broadcasting cash pile we can fritter away on player wages back in the chumps. New investment required.

1 hour ago, Highland Canary said:

Too open. Defence not upgraded in the Summer. We’ll finish 20th but with a huge broadcasting cash pile we can fritter away on player wages back in the chumps. New investment required.

While it’s true we have been too open, recently we haven’t been. Unlucky against Spurs - Cantwell error for the 1st goal and lucky winner for the 2nd. If we had taken our chances it would have been 4-2 to us.

I don’t think we will keep many clean sheets between now and season end, although we are looking tighter, however if we start taking our scoring chances then conceding goals will be less important. Putting the ball in the onion bag is what we need to fix, then it’s game on!

15 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

While it’s true we have been too open, recently we haven’t been. Unlucky against Spurs - Cantwell error for the 1st goal and lucky winner for the 2nd. If we had taken our chances it would have been 4-2 to us.

I don’t think we will keep many clean sheets between now and season end, although we are looking tighter, however if we start taking our scoring chances then conceding goals will be less important. Putting the ball in the onion bag is what we need to fix, then it’s game on!

I think - alright I hope - Duda may provide the missing goals. Looked very promising vs. B'mouth.

16 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Who reckons they gave up first. I need to get these white hankies monogrammed...

I think it was Jobsworth/ waveney.  You could just monogramme the hankie SL for Scampi Lover, as it's the only consistent thing about him, or maybe  DOSRCII, as in delia out , stinking  rich...blah blah.  No point using his initials as they change more often than the offside rule.

If we survive then Farke should get a statue outside the ground, on a horse of course!👍

• Haha 2

One game at a time as the cliche goes. Treat each game as a cup tie until we are knocked out. May as well go down fighting.

Vrancic needs to start next game.

Last night on MOTD Danny Murphy (probably one of my favourite pundits) stated, not for the first time that Norwich are the best team he has ever seen at the bottom of the PL table ;- he is right of course.

However, he went on to say whilst we are a joy to watch we do not score enough and can't defend, indicating we are going down. He said almost the exact same things around Christmas time on the radio.

We are magnificent to watch for the neutral and provide entertaining football for us who follow each week.

IF we still had 20 plus games to go and our performances were as such I would be confident of turning things round, but we don't. We are fast approaching the business end of this season and then teams near us will simply 'play for the point' or not to lose against us. They will be tight and niggly which doesn't suit our style.

Getting back to that pundit. The only difference I recall between now and then when he first said that about us? 

We are now further adrift of 17th spot !