Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

What makes Farke special then?

14 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

That was just for someone else. 

Sorry, it was childish of me... I couldn't resist it!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Keep hearing it, losing track of why it is.

Is it just a case of believing something if you repeat it enough? 

Don't hear fans from other clubs saying it? 

The media don't say it? 

How many times has he changed tactics to completely turn a game? How many match winning substitutions? 

Realised a while back that his game management is pretty much non-existent, late last season we saw that he wasn't prepared to rotate a squad either and we saw fatique problems.

The real 'special one' was the Spurs manager today, he responded to his teams failings with substitutions at various stages, seemed to be pretty effective if you ask me. 

He made subs, he won the game.

I mean, is it the team spirit he fostered last year? Because that's no different to the Lambert promotion and the Worthington promotion, both times went up with great team spirit.

Could argue that he's been instrumental in bringing through a couple of talented young players, I'll credit him that, but how much of this is down to some sort of special ability and how much of it is just down to us being lucky enough to have a good crop coupled with being a bit skint so not having much choice but to use them? 

Take Craig Bellamy for example. We were skint, he was a bit good, so obviously we played him. Then other teams realised he was good so we sold him. Weren't rocket science really was it? 

What's so special about Farke? Seems completely devoid of ideas on game day to me. 

So you think someone could do better with this squad? Who? 

34 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

So you think someone could do better with this squad? Who? 

It would be very difficult to bring a manager into this squad without having an overhaul due to the high proportion of German speakers at the club, several of whom knew Farke well before arriving. 

But could I just point out that I've not called for a change in manager?

At this stage I'm actually questioning whether he's an extra special super-genius or whatever hyperbole is used to describe him just because he managed to get a team promoted on the cheap. My argument is that this is really just an extension of the Norwich way.

I'm sure he'll have a decent career, but he's not Jurgen Klopp. 

Klopp's been given £100s of milliions to spend on a team.  I often wonder how any of the likes of Mourinho, Klopp, Guardiola etc, would get on managing clubs like ours.

Edited by Woodman

Just now, Woodman said:

Klopp's been given £100s of milliions to spend on a team.  I often wonder how any of the likes of Mourinho, Klopp, Guardiola etc, would get on managing clubs like ours.

I think Mark Robins has been given more and Coventry average 6,000 at Birmingham.

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

It would be very difficult to bring a manager into this squad without having an overhaul due to the high proportion of German speakers at the club, several of whom knew Farke well before arriving. 

But could I just point out that I've not called for a change in manager?

At this stage I'm actually questioning whether he's an extra special super-genius or whatever hyperbole is used to describe him just because he managed to get a team promoted on the cheap. My argument is that this is really just an extension of the Norwich way.

I'm sure he'll have a decent career, but he's not Jurgen Klopp. 

For someone that loves to criticise our current system you don't seem to know how it works.

Although Farke knows and maybe recommends a few players, the DOF brings in the players. The coach coaches them. We don't work under the old "manager" style of working.

11 minutes ago, Herman said:

For someone that loves to criticise our current system you don't seem to know how it works.

Although Farke knows and maybe recommends a few players, the DOF brings in the players. The coach coaches them. We don't work under the old "manager" style of working.

Oh right, is that why on the second page of this very thread I wrote this...

5 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

In fairness we don't know how much input Farke has on signings, sometimes it feels like Webber just gives him the players. 

I'm probably still blocked by TvB but im thinking of blocking him so I dont get dragged into reading what is the same old drivel endlessly repackaged, fair play to anyone who can be ar$ed to discuss anything with this guy.......he's so right you know, and if he's not he'll resort to insults instead of backing up his claims......Webber Quotegate for example, but be prepared guys cos discussions with this seemingly 'entitled teenager' is like  playing Handball with a Haystack....you get nowt back. Save your energy lads , we've got a Club to support.

3 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I'm probably still blocked by TvB but im thinking of blocking him so I dont get dragged into reading what is the same old drivel endlessly repackaged, fair play to anyone who can be ar$ed to discuss anything with this guy.......he's so right you know, and if he's not he'll resort to insults instead of backing up his claims......Webber Quotegate for example, but be prepared guys cos discussions with this seemingly 'entitled teenager' is like  playing Handball with a Haystack....you get nowt back. Save your energy lads , we've got a Club to support.

I blocked you because you were stalking me around the forum, something that was beyond my control. 

You have the option not to click on my threads, whether or not you have the necessary willpower is your problem. 

TBF, most people who engage with TvB will be accused of "stalking" at some point.

Apparently, that's what discussing things on a forum is called these days.

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I blocked you because you were stalking me around the forum, something that was beyond my control. 

You have the option not to click on my threads, whether or not you have the necessary willpower is your problem. 

I have a two word response to you.     WEBBER QUOTE?

Admit that you were wrong, I'd even accept that you were mistaken and not making shoite up...........if you could climb down off your pedestal you'd be taken a bit more seriously by those who understand tha  REAL football is a complicated nuanced business, there is no simple winning recipe, just ask Man u who have spunked the guts of a billion since Alex Ferguson left. 

Ps not stalking, just refusing to be shouted down.

Pps granted, I used more than two words.......just to explain ,like.

I'm rarely on this side of things, being a happy clapper by nature,  but I think it is fair to ask the question. As I posted on the Spurs match thread, we have a team worth something like £150 million+. If the best we are able to achieve is bottom, 4 wins out of 24 games, then something is wrong. Maybe it is the fact that the squad is unbalanced and although we have Emi, Teemu and the rest, the others are so poor, bottom is the best we can hope for? Or maybe Farke got lucky last season because we signed Emi and Teemu? Maybe any half-decent manager could have got us up. In his favour, he seems extremely well regarded by players, who I'm sure know a little bit more about what makes a good coach than we do.

Not saying I'm convinced Farke is not as good as we thought,  but it is possible, so why not discuss it?  I guess next season will be the acid test.

P.S. I'm surprised King Canary hasn't said it, as he usually does, but the "who would you suggest as manager instead" question is stupid. Even for the Football Manager players amongst us, we're not professionals in the game, why would we be expected to have any idea? I think it's pretty unlikely any of us would have said "Daniel Farke" if challenged for a replacement for Alex Neil (or Alan Irvine for the pedants). Having said that, what about Alan Irvine? 😜

15 hours ago, East Rider said:

It is noticeable watching Burnley play against a Man Utd who they have failed to beat in their last 10 meetings, deliver every free kick from the half way line into the utd box and score from one knock down as a result. They had a plan B and it worked.

Erm... that is not Burnley's plan B, that is Burnley's plan A. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Well this analysis seems to rate Farke pretty highly:

https://90maat.com/tottenham-hotspur-2-1-norwich-city-talking-points/

Every objective report I've seen rates us. 

We may well get relegated but it won't be because we're a rubbish team with a rubbish manager.

Don't think anyone is saying we are a rubbish team with a rubbish manager are they? I've also not heard anyone say that they think Farke should be sacked. All managers have their strengths and weaknesses and his strength is clear in his coaching ability and his ability to improve players on the training ground and to get them playing for him.

I think people are just a bit disappointed that he hasn't managed to influence games more this season through tactics and use of substitutions or to put it another way people feel that on occasion his inability to change things has perhaps cost us. I had high hopes at the start of this season that Farke would have a real impact as a coach at this level but I think he's found it tough like the players have as well. Admittedly though the lack of resources and injuries have tied his hands a little.

7 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Don't think anyone is saying we are a rubbish team with a rubbish manager are they? I've also not heard anyone say that they think Farke should be sacked. All managers have their strengths and weaknesses and his strength is clear in his coaching ability and his ability to improve players on the training ground and to get them playing for him.

This is the problem on here- some people can't get their head around the idea saying 'Farke needs to improve his game management' doesn't equal 'Farke is rubbish and should be sacked yesterday!'

18 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I'm rarely on this side of things, being a happy clapper by nature,  but I think it is fair to ask the question. As I posted on the Spurs match thread, we have a team worth something like £150 million+. If the best we are able to achieve is bottom, 4 wins out of 24 games, then something is wrong. Maybe it is the fact that the squad is unbalanced and although we have Emi, Teemu and the rest, the others are so poor, bottom is the best we can hope for? Or maybe Farke got lucky last season because we signed Emi and Teemu? Maybe any half-decent manager could have got us up. In his favour, he seems extremely well regarded by players, who I'm sure know a little bit more about what makes a good coach than we do.

First, who says we have a squad worth £150 million+ ? If only Emi and Teemu are any good how do you come up with that value? 

Then do you remember last season? The style of our play was completely different to the other teams with the exception perhaps of Leeds. It was the most exciting football I think I have seen played by a Norwich team in decades. And after we sold Maddison. We dominated games because of the way we played, so "any half decent manager" would not have automatically have got us up IMO. Is our current squad unbalanced? Yes it certainly looks like it and it's clear we have too many "in-betweeners". So blame the lack of investment if you want, but best to restrict criticism of Farke to what is happening on the field now, and not debase what he achieved last season. 

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, king canary said:

This is the problem on here- some people can't get their head around the idea saying 'Farke needs to improve his game management' doesn't equal 'Farke is rubbish and should be sacked yesterday!'

A problem with a bulletin board is so many comments appear so quickly it's difficult to keep track ... so yes, I agree Farke - like his players - is still on a learning curve, perhaps more so than older managers like Wilder at Sheff Utd;  there are aspects of Farke's game management many are questioning. And there are people writing "the fans have turned on him" and "he should be sacked" on this board. So, as for myself I'm pushing back on those comments. And especially pushing back on suggestions we will have to sell all our young talent because "its so good", well if it was that good we wouldn't be bottom of this league. Fact is we have a relatively young and inexperienced team and it's playing like it. This is not Paul Lambert's Norwich, that team this year is called Sheffield Utd, and good for them. 

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, non-scoring strikers said:

Why else does a team get relegated? 

Naivety, bad luck, inexperience, lack of physicality ... In our case mostly inexperience I'd say.

Difficult to blame a Farke when he’s had a tiny budget to work with. That’s not a criticism of the board either - it is what it is, most of us (I think) can see the logic even if you don’t agree with it, and most of us have accepted that if we’re going to use that logic it’s going to be very difficult to stay up.

That said, Farke isn’t entirely blameless. Everyone can see we ship goals too easily. It’s not good enough to say “that’s the way we play, we will concede”, especially when we’re not even scoring all that many. 

I don’t know who does the defensive training, but perhaps we need to bring someone in. Set pieces are almost entirely down to drilling on the training pitch. Yeah we’ve got a fairly short side so would still concede some, but we shouldn’t be conceding this many. Burnley etc. aren’t so dangerous from set plays just because they’ve got some big lads. They work on it all the time. Do we do enough? I don’t know. Farke doesn’t have to be an expert set piece coach, he can bring someone in, but if he needs help it should be addressed. 

His choice of substitutions I’m not too fussed about to be fair. Who can he bring on? Someone yesterday compared Farke’s subs to Mourinho’s - but everywhere Mourinho has been, his bench is more expensive than the majority of the first teams he plays against. Much easier to make a “big call” to bring on two 45 million pound internationals and change the system than it is to bring on what we’ve got on the bench.

• Like 1

To dispel a myth, here are players signed since Farke joined.

Zimbo
Vrancic
Marley Watkins
Angus Gunn
Harrison Reed
James Husband
Marcel Franke
Tom Trybull
Steiperman
Hanley
Raggett
Marcus Edwards
Srbeny
Leitner
Onel
McLean
Pukki
Ben Marshall
Emi
Passlack
Rhodes
Krul
Heise
Tristan Abrahams
Patrick Roberts
Drmic
Fahrman
Byram
Amadou
Rupp
Duda

He's been through one or two new signings. 

8 hours ago, Surfer said:

First, who says we have a squad worth £150 million+ ? If only Emi and Teemu are any good how do you come up with that value? 

Then do you remember last season? The style of our play was completely different to the other teams with the exception perhaps of Leeds. It was the most exciting football I think I have seen played by a Norwich team in decades. And after we sold Maddison. We dominated games because of the way we played, so "any half decent manager" would not have automatically have got us up IMO. Is our current squad unbalanced? Yes it certainly looks like it and it's clear we have too many "in-betweeners". So blame the lack of investment if you want, but best to restrict criticism of Farke to what is happening on the field now, and not debase what he achieved last season. 

Sofa score app gave our starting 11 market value yesterday as £78.2 million compared to Spurs at £464.8 million. How they have come up with those figures is anyone’s guess. 

10 hours ago, kirku said:

TBF, most people who engage with TvB will be accused of "stalking" at some point.

Apparently, that's what discussing things on a forum is called these dayday

No, just wcorkcanary.

Back this up by providing just one other example please?

You can't. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

23 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

In fairness we don't know how much input Farke has on signings, sometimes it feels like Webber just gives him the players. 

Isn’t that exactly what happens with any club who has a director of football? Aren’t signings identified by his scouting team, and he as director of football does the rest?

Doesnt the coach do just that “coach”?

Wasn’t that the info from Mr Balls who identified the need for a director of football and who brought a  “recommended” to him Mr Webber to the club, to take the “need to identify and select players for signing, sort contract negotiations and deal with everything else away from a manager/coach so he could just “coach”.

Farke is not a manager, he is first team coach!

3 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

Isn’t that exactly what happens with any club who has a director of football? Aren’t signings identified by his scouting team, and he as director of football does the rest?

Doesnt the coach do just that “coach”?

Wasn’t that the info from Mr Balls who identified the need for a director of football and who brought a  “recommended” to him Mr Webber to the club, to take the “need to identify and select players for signing, sort contract negotiations and deal with everything else away from a manager/coach so he could just “coach”.

Farke is not a manager, he is first team coach!

For instance!

The presence of a director of football acts as an intermediary between a coach and the board and may relieve pressure on a coach by handling aspects away from day-to-day coaching, allowing the coach to focus on on-pitch performances!

A director of football normally is not a board member, but sits with the board to update them on footballing matters.