Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

What makes Farke special then?

Keep hearing it, losing track of why it is.

Is it just a case of believing something if you repeat it enough? 

Don't hear fans from other clubs saying it? 

The media don't say it? 

How many times has he changed tactics to completely turn a game? How many match winning substitutions? 

Realised a while back that his game management is pretty much non-existent, late last season we saw that he wasn't prepared to rotate a squad either and we saw fatique problems.

The real 'special one' was the Spurs manager today, he responded to his teams failings with substitutions at various stages, seemed to be pretty effective if you ask me. 

He made subs, he won the game.

I mean, is it the team spirit he fostered last year? Because that's no different to the Lambert promotion and the Worthington promotion, both times went up with great team spirit.

Could argue that he's been instrumental in bringing through a couple of talented young players, I'll credit him that, but how much of this is down to some sort of special ability and how much of it is just down to us being lucky enough to have a good crop coupled with being a bit skint so not having much choice but to use them? 

Take Craig Bellamy for example. We were skint, he was a bit good, so obviously we played him. Then other teams realised he was good so we sold him. Weren't rocket science really was it? 

What's so special about Farke? Seems completely devoid of ideas on game day to me. 

Just now, Crafty Canary said:

His ability to produce attractive passing football whilst having beggar all backing.

We don't often see that attractive passing football though do we?

Did you see it today?

Is playing it out from the back every single time really attractive passing football or is it just naive and all too often our downfall? 

We just so often see a team incapable of stringing three passes together. 

You are basing your judgment on this season alone. Fair enough. But last season he performed a small miracle.

And the board or Webber didn't back that miracle up. The club is left to scratching around for not EPL quality Europeans. Rhodes was too expensive apparently, for example.

I shudder at the thought of us spending all the money like Villa have but seeing the quality that has come in, there are better in the Championship.

I don't like his use of zonal marking and the use of subs baffles me but he has produced a team that can entertain at the level this squad reaches. And that is not EPL. I am positive that Pukki, Buendia and Aarons would be even better players going to better clubs.

For the most part all I can see is us passing the ball sideways and backwards, then under pressure we give it away. Listening on the radio tonight all I heard was Norwich have given the ball away again. Substitutions can change a game, but not if you make them in the last 5 mins. Farke might not have been given funds but it is his tactics that frustrate a lot of City supporters.

13 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

His ability to produce attractive passing football whilst having beggar all backing.

Not very attractive passing football when you lose it just outside your box and gift the opposition a goal.

Remind me again, how many goals is it now we've given away by always playing attractive passing football

5 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Not very attractive passing football when you lose it just outside your box and gift the opposition a goal.

Remind me again, how many goals is it now we've given away by always playing attractive passing football

Isn't that individuals mistakes? 

Edited by Rolf Harris

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

You are basing your judgment on this season alone. Fair enough. But last season he performed a small miracle.

Every other year some team punches above their weight and achieves promotion on a budget. 

It happens so frequently that it can't really be described as a "miracle".

Bournemouth, Swansea, its always a "miracle" when a team tipped for mid-table manages to reach the Premier League.

Look at the run Brentford are on, its put them in the top 6. Achieved with a tiny loss (think it was £1m last time I looked), they sell players frequently. 

So you achieve promotion against the odds, get big credit for that and a pat on the back. Then what? Can't dine out on that one forever.

Worthington also took us up on a pittance after plucking a bunch of diamonds from the rough, signing people from Peterborough for a few hundred grand. Granted we took him across the line by pulling Huckerby and Crouch out of the hat, but that squad was by and large a load of lower league signings and an assortment of cast offs and rejects. Like Malky Mackay who played 34 games in 5 years as Celtics 6th choice centre back before becoming a hero for us. 

So is Worthington special? Don't tell me he was bankrolled under Neil "prudence with ambition" Doncaster! 

Is "passing football" the only nice type of football? Deadly counter attacking seen under Worthingon, bullet headers from Iwan, little magician Paul McVeigh... best first touch I've seen at Carrow Road when at his best. 

We were good, and now we sneer our noses up at Burnley for playing that type of football. Still effective today. 

We're hardly respected throughout the land as a fine footballing team are we? We're just seen as the Championship side we are who can play a bit. We aren't Brendan Rodgers era Swansea. 

You can not get away from the fact that despite the lack of funding compare to other teams, we performed magnificently last season, and against virtually everyone's expectations. That was down to him, however you dress it up.

The issue is the lack of investment for this season and the chronic injuries we suffered for half a season are not down to him. 

However, you can't help having the feeling we are yet again about to miss out on a golden opportunity.

1 minute ago, East Rider said:

You can not get away from the fact that despite the lack of funding compare to other teams, we performed magnificently last season, and against virtually everyone's expectations. That was down to him, however you dress it up.

The issue is the lack of investment for this season and the chronic injuries we suffered for half a season are not down to him. 

However, you can't help having the feeling we are yet again about to miss out on a golden opportunity.

Chris Wilder was also operating with barely any money and also achieved promotion. He didn't get the trophy though.

I agree though that Wilder has been backed in the transfer market this season, so it is unfair to directly compare Farke to him this season. 

5 minutes ago, East Rider said:

Farke has had a lack of transfer funds, and therefore has a lack of decent options for changing a game.

But Cantwell had a poor game and looked like he was a candidate for a red card, Duda was anonymous, Farke did have Hernandez on the bench. 

It is remarkable to me that he waited for us to concede before making that change, and then felt compelled to take off our defensive screen (which led to Spurs dominating the entire 6 minutes of injury time, because we couldn't get the ball off them).

Game management is atrocious, has been all season. The mitigating circumstances don't change that.

Perhaps, like Moritz Lietner, he looks excellent in the Championship but out of his depth in the Premier League.

Perhaps not spending money on a squad managed by somebody so inexperienced and tactically limited is a shrewd decision! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

And his non ability to have a defence that can actually defend, just as they did last season. OH, WAIT!

So all the Farke moaners WHO  would you appoint as our next manager if the board sacked him. Come on lets have some names, its ok to criticize but who going to come in with a magic wand. It will be the same as every other Norwich manager since the formation of the premier league, punching above our weight with no money, i fail to see any manger doing much better. We either have to try and be hard to beat but be a bit boring doing it ,or try to play entertaining  football  but get caught out trying. 

Farke learns, but he doesn't learn quick enough- I fully expect him to be at the helm next season for the Championship push or the much less likely second Prem season.

What I cannot fathom, at all, is how an overweight FM aficionado like me is sat watching the game at 70 minutes shouting 'get subs on, players are tired and it's leaving huge gaps!' before our tired gaps in defense leads to their winner. And it isn't like that is an isolated incident.

Tettey looked sluggish, McLean hardly made himself known first half, Rupp looked a bit shellshocked, Pukki IMO is looking fatigued and Duda looked like someone who hasn't played in months doing his second game in 5 days. All seems a bit silly. 

13 minutes ago, Dame to Blame said:

So all the Farke moaners WHO  would you appoint as our next manager if the board sacked him. Come on lets have some names, its ok to criticize but who going to come in with a magic wand. It will be the same as every other Norwich manager since the formation of the premier league, punching above our weight with no money, i fail to see any manger doing much better. We either have to try and be hard to beat but be a bit boring doing it ,or try to play entertaining  football  but get caught out trying. 

Roger Schmidt, because I think it would have to be a German under this regime with Webbers obsession with German players, and to avoid a complete overhaul of the squad. Achieved good things with Salzburg and to a degree at Leverkusen, currently unemployed. 

Or did you assume that we were all ignorant on this forum and would say Sam Allardyce or Tony Pulis, because you think we lack knowledge or imagination? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

It is noticeable watching Burnley play against a Man Utd who they have failed to beat in their last 10 meetings, deliver every free kick from the half way line into the utd box and score from one knock down as a result. They had a plan B and it worked.

Whilst I appreciate our style of play, you can't help hoping for the odd long pass/free kick straight into the box sometime just to create a chance and change our style briefly.

Farke is an excellent coach who improves all our players and I think for whom the players want to play. His in game management is, however, poor and he’s been disappointing for me this season in that regard. Not won us any points this season with subs or tactical changes. 

33 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Farke learns, but he doesn't learn quick enough- I fully expect him to be at the helm next season for the Championship push or the much less likely second Prem season.

What I cannot fathom, at all, is how an overweight FM aficionado like me is sat watching the game at 70 minutes shouting 'get subs on, players are tired and it's leaving huge gaps!' before our tired gaps in defense leads to their winner. And it isn't like that is an isolated incident.

Tettey looked sluggish, McLean hardly made himself known first half, Rupp looked a bit shellshocked, Pukki IMO is looking fatigued and Duda looked like someone who hasn't played in months doing his second game in 5 days. All seems a bit silly. 

I think you have summarised exactly what happened tonight. There were 2 options when it was 1-1 with 20 mins to go, either you bring on Trybul and Amadou and hang on for a point, or you bring on Hernandez and Drmic and give them time to go for a winner. The problem is he didn't do either and when they scored he brought the subs on far too late.  

35 minutes ago, East Rider said:

It is noticeable watching Burnley play against a Man Utd who they have failed to beat in their last 10 meetings, deliver every free kick from the half way line into the utd box and score from one knock down as a result. They had a plan B and it worked.

Whilst I appreciate our style of play, you can't help hoping for the odd long pass/free kick straight into the box sometime just to create a chance and change our style briefly.

That's not a Plan B though. Parking the bus and playing for set pieces is barely a Plan A. Burnley's strikers were clinical and scored two great goals but it wasn't a great game by any standards. Especially with Martial doing his best impersonation of Bambi on rollerskates.

• Like 1

Didnt even read the OP. Thankfully he is in a massive minority with Farke being applauded by all 3k fans after the game.

Fantastic coach with fantastic playing ethos.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

That's not a Plan B though. Parking the bus and playing for set pieces is barely a Plan A. Burnley's strikers were clinical and scored two great goals but it wasn't a great game by any standards. Especially with Martial doing his best impersonation of Bambi on rollerskates.

I would disagree. Burnley went for the jugular that is Jones in defence with their basic style and it worked. They had a plan for this game.

I'm in no way advocating a change in manager, but it would be nice to have an earlier change in options for us. Perhaps Onel with his pace on quicker, a period of more direct play, a change in creativity. 

He is a managerial genius but never had a chance with the (lack of) backing he received. Look to the owners not the manager or players if you have an issue. But Tottenham’s stadium is magnificent. Pity we won’t be there next season.

Edited by Highland Canary

3 hours ago, hampton canary said:

For the most part all I can see is us passing the ball sideways and backwards, then under pressure we give it away. Listening on the radio tonight all I heard was Norwich have given the ball away again. Substitutions can change a game, but not if you make them in the last 5 mins. Farke might not have been given funds but it is his tactics that frustrate a lot of City supporters.

We seem to have reverted to the behavior of the season before last. We finished mid-table that season and if I recall the complaint was we were obsessed with possession and did nothing with it. Then last year we transitioned quickly through the midfield, so while still having lots of possession, our behavior was to first move forwards rather than sideways. For whatever reason its changed over the past few games - it could just be as simple as we have lost confidence in our own ability, and not changed tactics. 

Edited by Surfer

This game was frustrating. Coming from the States I managed all day to avoid scores and then sit down for this one with a nice beer in hand. Surely Tottenham controlled the first half, but we had the fire in our game come the second half. As soon as Pukki scored that penalty, we surely should have been itching to get one set of fresh legs on. Not saying that not doing so was the downfall, because I mean, look at that looping lucky **** come off of Zimmerman, but still...get some legs on the pitch!

Frustrating for sure, just finished watching and I'm gutted, but it's simply another display of this teams ability to stay with the best. I wasn't expecting points from this, there are surely 7 other matches where we say they are must win, but it would have been nice to claim just one tonight. Either way, I'm not saying this is it, because the math says it's not. On to Newcastle. (subs for FA cup)

Strange how these player/manager/board bashing posts arrive after another frustrating loss.

The only thing I believe Farke can be criticized on is his poor choice of substitutions, be it timing or personnel.

This is Farkes first time in the premier league. Surely the lack of experience will hinder his decision making.

He's a reactive manager not a proactive one.

He'll never make a sub before the damage is done. He doesn't seem to be able to read a game. 

All the red flags he had when he first joined are still there. They were there last season, too. The success just clouded his pitfalls for our more limited supporters. 

• Like 1

As a coach of players, Farke is among the best we've had. The improvement of players has been second to none.

As a tactician and manager of a football side during a game of football, he is not good. 

In my view, he should be very much under scrutiny next season. Barring a minor miracle, we have to consider two of his three seasons here an absolute failure.