Sign in to follow this  
East Rider

Tonight is surely the night...

11 minutes ago, ricardo said:

You need to forget about this and just enjoy what is left of the season. We are exactly where we deserve to be thanks to not upgrading a very average defence.

Time for planning a promotion push next year.

Yes but hope and a fighting spirit will probably help Wolfie enjoy it. Works for me too. I would enjoy it less if I just rolled over while there's points to fight for.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ricardo said:

You need to forget about this and just enjoy what is left of the season. We are exactly where we deserve to be thanks to not upgrading a very average defence.

Time for planning a promotion push next year.

Oh I quite agree, I've been pretty sanguine about it since October. I'd argue that Byram was an upgrade, and we've had to do without our most experienced defender in Klose, but we're just not quite ready for this level.

I know that everything points to us going down, but it'd be great to see us win at Newcastle and at least go down with a bang rather than a whimper. And if we can somehow string a couple of results together, you never know.

Just now, nutty nigel said:

Yes but hope and a fighting spirit will probably help Wolfie enjoy it. Works for me too. I would enjoy it less if I just rolled over while there's points to fight for.

If those points meant stopping up it would be great. I’d guess we may win another 3/4 matches tops but we’re going to fall well short. 

2 hours ago, GenerationA47 said:

Lucky scarf.

Actually the same one as at Old Trafford, but worn upside down

Kept it down to 1 goal separating us. Story of the season, great effort for little result.

At least I got the gobby home fans behind me ejected ... and they missed their winner. Small mercies etc.

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

A win at Newcastle would still probably be pointless. Boring to keep looking at the next game and hoping that will be the catalyst to go on a run.

It just isn’t happening this season and 95% on here now accept that. 

I'd say that's about right, because there's about a 95% chance of us going down according to the bookies. I fully expect us to be relegated, but a win at Newcastle would still be great. If we are going to go down, let's at least try not to finish rock bottom.

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Oh I quite agree, I've been pretty sanguine about it since October. I'd argue that Byram was an upgrade, and we've had to do without our most experienced defender in Klose, but we're just not quite ready for this level.

I know that everything points to us going down, but it'd be great to see us win at Newcastle and at least go down with a bang rather than a whimper. And if we can somehow string a couple of results together, you never know.

You’ve accepted our fate then changed your mind in one reply. 

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

You’ve accepted our fate then changed your mind in one reply. 

I don't believe in fate, and we're not relegated yet. I'm totally at peace with the concept that we will be relegated because it is overwhelmingly likely to happen, but I also accept that there is a minuscule chance that we could stay up. That's the reality of where we find ourselves.

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

I don't believe in fate, and we're not relegated yet. I'm totally at peace with the concept that we will be relegated because it is overwhelmingly likely to happen, but I also accept that there is a minuscule chance that we could stay up. That's the reality of where we find ourselves.

Everyone to their own. I’m finding accepting relegation and the changes in the summer more interesting than teasing myself with what if we win the next match syndrome. 

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

Everyone to their own. I’m finding accepting relegation and the changes in the summer more interesting than teasing myself with what if we win the next match syndrome. 

I'll be very interested to see what happens in the summer either way, but nothing is going to happen until the season's finished (assuming we don't sell anyone in January, which I doubt we will).

Between now and May we've got 14 league matches, plus a potential cup run, so I'll keep focusing on those. I'm not daydreaming about the tantalising possibility of staying up; I just accept that there is a tiny chance it could happen. It's a pretty mathematical outlook rather than an emotional one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I'll be very interested to see what happens in the summer either way, but nothing is going to happen until the season's finished (assuming we don't sell anyone in January, which I doubt we will).

Between now and May we've got 14 league matches, plus a potential cup run, so I'll keep focusing on those. I'm not daydreaming about the tantalising possibility of staying up; I just accept that there is a tiny chance it could happen. It's a pretty mathematical outlook rather than an emotional one.

Can’t argue with that statement. It will be such a shame though to see this squad broken up after the hope of last summer. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Can’t argue with that statement. It will be such a shame though to see this squad broken up after the hope of last summer. 

If we do not start turning some decent result our way, this squad will probably not be broken up too much come the end of the season.

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Yes, indeed. But Farke knows the Championship well, and has a good record of recruiting good players for that league - and bringing youth players into that league. And I don't think we'll sell as many players as people think; our six most valuable and desirable players are probably Aarons, Godfrey, Lewis, Buendía, Cantwell and Pukki. I'd be surprised if we sold more than three of them this summer, and even at a conservative estimate that would bring an additional £50m into the club.

Just now, East Rider said:

If we do not start turning some decent result our way, this squad will probably not be broken up too much come the end of the season.

I think there’s at least 4 players who would be coveted by teams in this division. We like selling and I’m sure they wouldn’t mind leaving. 

4 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Yes, indeed. But Farke knows the Championship well, and has a good record of recruiting good players for that league - and bringing youth players into that league. And I don't think we'll sell as many players as people think; our six most valuable and desirable players are probably Aarons, Godfrey, Lewis, Buendía, Cantwell and Pukki. I'd be surprised if we sold more than three of them this summer, and even at a conservative estimate that would bring an additional £50m into the club.

Well if Daniel is given a fifth of that estimate to spend  I’d be shocked. 

9 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Well if Daniel is given a fifth of that estimate to spend  I’d be shocked. 

We'll see. But even if that does come to pass, what were the combined transfer fees for Pukki, Buendia, Krul, Hernandez, Vrancic, Trybull, Leitner, Drmic and Hanley? I make it around £10m... I know you have to factor in wages, but I'm just saying he and Webber have a track record for bargains, and for bringing through quality players from the youth team.

4 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

We'll see. But even if that does come to pass, what were the combined transfer fees for Pukki, Buendia, Krul, Hernandez, Vrancic, Trybull, Leitner, Drmic and Hanley? I make it around £10m... I know you have to factor in wages, but I'm just saying he and Webber have a track record for bargains, and for bringing through quality players from the youth team.

Wish the club had a track record of staying up in this league too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Wish the club had a track record of staying up in this league too.

So do I, but that's a completely separate discussion.