king canary

New Labour Leader

38 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Surprising in a way, that it is very a sweeping out of Corbyn's gang but instead of reverting back to to the old faces from before this really is a new team. Unarguably stronger than their government counter-parts with the possible exception of Sunak, but even he after a good start has been blundering away so the jury is now out on him.

I suspect Sunak with his open cheque book, effective renationalizations would look to the left of even McDonnell now!

Strange old world. The Tories have a diverse Cabinet and Labours is purely  Caucasian. Guess that says something about which portions of society favour what party. Or is that to narrow a suggestion? Polls have been published on less.

6 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Strange old world. The Tories have a diverse Cabinet and Labours is purely  Caucasian. Guess that says something about which portions of society favour what party. Or is that to narrow a suggestion? Polls have been published on less.

Not purely KK,  David LammyThangam Debbonaire, Preet Kaur GillRosena Allin-Khan Valerie Vaz and I believe Lisa Nandy's dad is  Indian. Interesting point though, but in the same way that Thatcher never did much for woman I don't think the current batch of diverse Tories will do much for diversity.

• Like 1

I was really meaning the top Cabinet positions BF.

By the way, the KK part of your post was a bit close seeing as we are talking about diversity😃

11 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I read 7 of the 32 are from minority ethnic backgrounds and the gender mix is 17 female, 15 male. 

Not sure how that compares to the Tories.

Conservatives 26 full or attending cabinet.

19 men - 7 women. 4 from ethnic backgrounds.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

That shadow cabinet could almost have served as one of Cameron's cabinets. Labour's Gone full Tory-lite

You should be pleased then

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

This is the same Naz Shah who told victims of Pakistani rape gangs that they needed to shut their mouths for the sake of diversity. 

This is untrue, and probably libelous.

2 hours ago, BigFish said:

This is untrue, and probably libelous.

August 2017, Shah retweeted and liked a tweet from a 'parody' account claiming to belong to Labour member Owen Jones that read: "Those abused girls in Rotherham and elsewhere just need to shut their mouths. For the good of diversity".[35] After realising the account was not Jones' and re-reading the tweet, Shah deleted the retweet and unliked the original tweet. A spokesperson said: "This was a genuine accident eight days ago that was rectified within minutes."[36][37] Shah also pointed to her record on challenging abuse.[35] In April 2018, following Winnie Madikizela-Mandela's death, Shah paid tribute by tweeting an image incorporating Mandela's quote: "Together, hand in hand, with our matches and our necklaces, we shall liberate this country."[38] She later deleted the tweet.[39][38]

In April 2016, Shah was reported to have reposted in August 2014, during Operation Protective Edge, a Facebook post with a map from Norman Finkelstein's website showing Israel superimposed on the United States, with the headline "Solution for Israel-Palestine conflict - relocate Israel into United States".[22][23] She had added the comment that this might "save them some pocket money" (i.e. US funding for Israel).[24][25] Finkelstein defended the map as humorous.[26] Shah responded that her views on Israel had moderated, and stepped down as John McDonnell's PPS.[27][28] Jeremy Corbyn condemned her posted comment as "offensive and unacceptable". She was suspended from the Labour Party that month, pending investigation

She's a nasty piece of work. 

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/health/coronavirus/government-agrees-bradford-mp-naz-shahs-changes-coronavirus-emergency-powers-2506231

There were anxieties, especially among Jews and Muslims whose faiths forbid cremation, that local authorities, in the event the number of deaths increase dramatically, would be able to use the emergency powers to disregard legal safeguards that currently prevent the cremation of human remains against the wishes of the deceased.

The amendment sought to guarantee that if the number of dead became unmanageable, next of kin and faith organisations would be consulted before someone was cremated.

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/18363560.naz-shah-philip-davies-co-unite-support-prime-minister/

Bradford West MP Naz Shah (Lab) said: “I’m really, really saddened by the turn of events for Boris.

“I wish him a speedy recovery.

“My heart goes out to Carrie and his family.

“There is nothing party political during a crisis like this. We are in this together. We’ve got to work together.

“My thoughts and prayers remain with his family.

https://jewishnews.timesofisrael.com/house-of-commons-cafeteria-to-serve-kosher-food-after-mps-appeal/

Signatories include Alex Sobel, Wes Streeting, Rosena Allin-Khan, Naz Shah, Caroline Lucas, the shadow home secretary Diane Abbott, the shadow chancellor John Mcdonnell.

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-12-04/naz-shah-would-done-things-differently-root-out-anti-semitism-labour-party-jewish-hustings/

Ms Shah was suspended from her party and had the parliamentary whip removed in 2016 amid the anti-semitism accusations.

The Labour MP later said she had been "ignorant" about discrimination against Jews and admitted the language she used had been anti-semitic.

"When I went on my journey, for me it was really important to make an unequivocal apology.

"I'd have done things differently, I'd want the Labour party to go on the same journey.

"Labour members, some not all, need to go on that journey and there are people in other political parties that need to go on that journey."

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

August 2017, Shah retweeted

Even Wikipedia is more accurate than your post, which is why it was deleted

• Sad 1

Intersting.There was a coordinated tory Twiiter pile-on on Starmer yesterday. I wonder what they are worried about??

Intersting.There was a coordinated tory Twiiter pile-on on Starmer yesterday. I wonder what they are worried about??

After the pathetic display by Patel and the downright ridiculous involvement with the lack of PPE, that is all the Government can do. Attack the opposition.

3 hours ago, Herman said:

It is increasingly obvious that the government hasn't handled the covid-19 crisis well, that the cabinet is packed with second raters whose only qualification is to make Johnson look good, that Sunak has borrowed sums that will "take our children" decades to pay off, that right-wing economics cannot deal with such a crisis, that a trade deal by the end of the year is now impossible, that we can't test as well as Germany or South Korea, that there is no exit plan, that NHS staff are sent out without the appropriate equipment and that the shut down was too late because Johnson thought it would impact his popularity in Northern seats if the pubs were closed.

The government response? A massive deflection campaign. It is the fault of Premiership footballers, Hancock's shameful suggestion that there was a shortage equipment because NHS workers were using too much and now lets blame the opposition

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is one response that caught many people's attention. A bit of deflection, distraction and poor reading skills (intentional.) I think we have seen this quite a lot over the last few years.

Oh Guido and their flatulence. We've missed you.

Opinium Research 7-9 April. Starmer took charge 4th April.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Oh Guido and their flatulence. We've missed you.

Opinium Research 7-9 April. Starmer took charge 4th April.

So like I said. No Starmer bounce. Dead on Arrival. 

I did say that Momentum would seek to undermine Starmer and just a couple of days into his leadership that's exactly what is transpiring:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/04/13/sir-keir-starmer-faces-first-crisis-anti-semitism-campaigners/

Sir Keir Starmer faces first crisis as anti-Semitism campaigners threaten legal action over leaked Labour report

Supporters of Jeremy Corbyn have been accused of putting unredacted details of anti-Semitism whistleblowers into the public domain

Sir Keir Starmer has been dragged into his first crisis as Labour leader after anti-Semitism campaigners threatened to take legal action over a leaked internal report.

Just one week into his tenure, Sir Keir is now facing a potential probe into the party by Britain’s data watchdog after supporters of Jeremy Corbyn were accused of putting unredacted details of anti-Semitism whistleblowers into the public domain.

The 860-page document, which was compiled during the last month of Mr Corbyn’s reign, concludes that “factional opposition” to the former leader from ex-officials contributed to a “litany of mistakes” that hindered the effective handling of anti-Semitism.

It was drawn up originally to be submitted to Britain’s equalities watchdog, which is investigating Labour for institutional anti-Semitism, but was later blocked by the party’s lawyers.

However, on Sunday it was leaked online in full, with the unredacted personal details of whistleblowers named in the document now being disseminated widely on social media. 

While the culprits have not been identified, the Campaign Against Anti-Semitism has accused supporters of Mr Corbyn of leaking it in a “desperate last-ditch attempt” to “deflect and discredit allegations of anti-Semitism.”

Separately, senior Labour figures have warned the leak could pose a significant breach of data privacy laws, meaning the party could be forced to report the incident to the Information Commissioner’s Office. 

On Monday night, Sir Keir announced that he would be launching an investigation into the report and the subsequent leak, adding that the controversy raised a "number of matters of serious concern." 

In a joint statement with Angela Rayner, Labour's deputy leader, he added that an independent probe would seek to establish why the report was commissioned, the allegations contained within it, and how it ended up in the public domain.

Speaking beforehand, one whistleblower named in the document told The Telegraph they were now taking legal advice, adding that their personal information had been disclosed and that libellous statements had been made against them. 

Labour Against Anti-Semitism, an anti-racism pressure group, has also warned that is considering legal action. 

In a statement, a spokesman said: “Our lawyers have been in touch with the relevant parties. We have collated and are collating evidence of people sharing the report and the information contained therein.” 

The Jewish Labour Movement, the official affiliate of the Labour Party, is also expected to challenge the party over the breach, with sources revealing that a number of its members had been identified in the report. 

In a series of Twitter posts, Peter Mason, the JLM’s national secretary, said it contained “incredibly sensitive personal information relating to complaints, victims and major safeguarding issues.”

Mr Mason added: “No attempt appears to have been made to in any way redact or protect the identities of those complaining, or complained about. 

“This includes existing members of staff and officers, as well as a substantial number of people covered by the non-disclosure agreements who have not spoken publicly.”

On Monday night, a Labour spokesman said: "The Labour Party takes its responsibilities for data protection and the security and integrity of its data and systems extremely seriously. 

"We are investigating this data breach and will take all necessary steps in line with statutory timeframes and regulations."

22 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Tory performance during crisis gets worse so turn attention back to lying again.

You obviously missed the Opinium poll that shows Tory approval increasing.

This looks like an attempt at whataboutery from Momentum rather than anything else. It appears to do nothing to genuinely prove the antisemitism claims made against the party but instead just adds to the long list of excuses they’ve used for losing two elections, and gives Starmer a headache he really didn’t need.

Theres no doubting that Corbyn was deeply unpopular amongst his fellow MPs, and indeed most moderate Labour Party members, and many would have been happy to see him go once it became obvious they were going to lose the election. He was only in power because Momentum took over the party and put him there, and you can’t spend your whole career voting against the party then demand loyalty further down the track. Starmer needs a massive clear out of these people who would seemingly remain in opposition with a hard left student protest movement than compromise and win power with incremental changes 

As a party, we tried the "lets make some policies and see if the country wants them". To a certain extent, we did that during Thatcher's tenure. And just as she was saved by the Falklands War, Boris is fireproof at the moment because of his illness. His rating will be high at the moment. And yet, his Government have, and most other nations were the same, not done very well during the crisis.

So Starmer has to step back fornow and allow Boris his ticker tape moment. He cannot get his ideas across with any publicity because no-one has any interest in the future other than what happens tomorrow and will I be safe.

He has seized on the media frenzy about anti semitism again and told us, he is treating it as an emergency. What more can he do? The media is painting him into a corner where they don't want to hear his criticism of they way NHS and Caring staff are virtually being thrown to the wolves because of Government inaction. Where transplant patients and those with lung diseases didn't receive letters. Where staff are buying or making their own PPE equipment.

Oh No. Lets bring up about Corbyn, the ex leader of the Labour Party. 

And look who's bringing it up, KG. It is the Corbynites stirring up a hornet:s nest by naming individuals in the hope that they will receive some 'selective treatment'. It's forcing Starmer to deal with something where there are much higher priorities right now. It's juvenile behaviour but those Momentum guys will fight tooth and nail to prevent Labour moving back to the centre ground

On 04/04/2020 at 15:04, BigFish said:

Starmer is intelligent, thoughtful, principled, honest, self-made from a working class background and goes by his first given name. He is everything that the current Prime Minister is not. He is the anti-Johnson.

He is an unprofessional law bender, a neoconservative Atlanticist who will bend over backwards to accommodate the Tories who are very happy to have him. At least as happy as you are.

And the award for the most Bat sh*t crazy post on this thread goes to................. (and just when dear old Rock The Bot thought he had it all sewn up). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It does seem that the hard left would rather spend their lives fighting in opposition than actually getting their party into power. 

• Like 2