king canary

New Labour Leader

I voted Nandy with Starmer as second preference. I agree it isn't the strongest filed right now but I have no doubt Boris and Cummings have the ability to make themselves extremely unpopular.

2 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Literally, is there a single, credible Labour MP that could lead this party to an election victory?

Apparently, Eddie Izzard wants a career change and is going to stand in Islington North as a Labour MP...

Isn't going from a comedian to a Labour MP more of a re-branding exercise than a career change? 

😀

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

I voted Nandy with Starmer as second preference. I agree it isn't the strongest filed right now but I have no doubt Boris and Cummings have the ability to make themselves extremely unpopular.

Boris and Cummings are already unpopular to the minority that don't matter 😎

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Keir Starmer.

Keir Starmer will never lead Labour to victory because he will be nothing more than a tool of Momentum. 

John Smith, Neil Kinnock and Tony Blair were all leaders who were prepared to standup to Militant and the extreme wing of the party and had the courage to speak out against the extremists. The eventuality was three election victories in a row starting in 1997. 

In the Andrew Neill interview it was clear that Starmer was not about to standup to anybody. He had no criticism of the current leadership whatsoever. He came across as a very weak, centrist candidate with no solid backing. Momentum will make mincemeat of him, I suspect. 

Labour's best strategy is to go back to being a party of the local councils and build up support in the local communities, then come back in ten years time as a national party   

I doubt they will do it as they've gone too far down the woke road which doesn't play at the local level. If they continue as they're doing they will be nothing more than a middle-class pressure group competing for members  against groups like Greenpeace and extinction rebellion

Poor old Trevor Philips being hounded out of the Labour Party for daring to speak the truth. From today's Telegraph:

Anti-racism campaigner Trevor Phillips has accused the Labour party of shutting down “healthy debate”, after being suspended over allegations of Islamophobia. 

The former head of the UK's equalities watchdog could be expelled from the party over past comments, including remarks he made about Pakistani Muslim men abusing children in northern UK towns.

Mr Phillips said: “I’m kind of surprised that what is and always has been an open and democratic party decides that its members can't have healthy debate about how we address differences of values and outlooks.”

Many of his statements date back years but Labour's general secretary Jennie Formby suspended him as a matter of urgency to "protect the party's reputation".

Mr Phillips described Labour as “a great party collapsing into a brutish, authoritarian cult”.

3 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

You know something? I really do think that the former head of the Equalities Commission actually has a very good understanding of Islamaphobia, despite what someone in the Guardian might say. 

35 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

You know something? I really do think that the former head of the Equalities Commission actually has a very good understanding of Islamaphobia, despite what someone in the Guardian might say. 

Edited by Jools

3 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Right-minded people that are the majority believe terrorism and underage **** is wrong --- Many of those people actually fear the latter...

But it's a fear that has a reasonable explanation because it's reality-based, therefore, Islamophobia is not actually a phobia..

'Islamophobia' is a term fabricated by Islamist activists Nathan Lean and John Esposito for their own personal gain.

Keep losing, sfb 😎

Right minded people are disgusted at what some have done but blaming the whole Muslim community for the actions of a few utter scumbags is wrong. It would be the same if we kept telling you and RTB to apologise for the actions of right wing terrorists and nonces. 

Back in the 70s and 80s the Irish and Catholic communities used to get grief for the actions of a few nutters. This isn't much different. 

Islamophobia is a real thing. It is a disproportionate dislike and fear of a whole community. Stop trying to excuse it. 

Funny how a topic labelled New Labour Leader has degenerated into this rubbish, mainly from contributors who not only will have no say in the new Leader but would criticise Mother Teresa if she joined Labour.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

RTB showing his stupidity by dismissing Syeeda Warsi as 'someone from the Guardian'.

His, and Jools, interest in a thread on the leadership contest of the Labour Party is very strange all round. Particularly as they insist that none of the candidates are electable, all will be puppets of Momentum and the Labour Party is a middle class pressure group. Unless of course they don't believe what they post, which is fair enough as most posters on here don't believe it.

Edited by BigFish

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

Mother Teresa

Typical Guardian reading lefty do-gooder

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

RTB showing his stupidity by dismissing Syeeda Warsi as 'someone from the Guardian'.

I said 'someone in the Guardian' not 'someone from the Guardian', your changing the word is to change the meaning so that it fits your narrative. In so doing you have changed the fact to a non-fact. In other words you have created a lie. It's very sad that people need to create lies instead of accepting what is actually there in front of them in black and white. The need to create a fantasy instead of dealing with what's actually there. A life lived in denial isn't a rich experience. 

Edited by Rock The Boat

17 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Funny how a topic labelled New Labour Leader has degenerated into this rubbish, mainly from contributors who not only will have no say in the new Leader but would criticise Mother Teresa if she joined Labour.

Not being a middle-class, white person with a valueless university degree, Mother Teresa would have been very unlikely to join the Labour party. 

46 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

I said 'someone in the Guardian' not 'someone from the Guardian', your changing the word is to change the meaning so that it fits your narrative. In so doing you have changed the fact to a non-fact. In other words you have created a lie. It's very sad that people need to create lies instead of accepting what is actually there in front of them in black and white. The need to create a fantasy instead of dealing with what's actually there. A life lived in denial isn't a rich experience. 

RTB is auditioning for the disinformation unit.

Starmer now has to be his own man. No pandering to Long Bailey, the suicide note writer, and making concessions to Momentum. As a party we have to realise that the country has moved back to the right. Now we have to convince enough that it is a mistake and will hurt them in the long run. Don't desert the core policies but ignore the frills for now until you can convince the public that the frills are important.

33 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Starmer now has to be his own man. No pandering to Long Bailey, the suicide note writer, and making concessions to Momentum. As a party we have to realise that the country has moved back to the right. Now we have to convince enough that it is a mistake and will hurt them in the long run. Don't desert the core policies but ignore the frills for now until you can convince the public that the frills are important.

Hopefully he can make a difference, at the moment though the whole thing looks like a complete distraction.

I thought Starmer had no chance because Labour would skip a generation...😵

That said, Rayner is there as his potential successor.

Hopefully he can make a difference, at the moment though the whole thing looks like a complete distraction.

If Boris really does care about the Nation, he must welcome SKS, and be seen to offer an olive branch, particularly at this time when it appears Government thinking is not clear and decisive.

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

If Boris really does care about the Nation, he must welcome SKS, and be seen to offer an olive branch, particularly at this time when it appears Government thinking is not clear and decisive.

Quite agree, I genuinely hope Starmer can turn the party round, kick out the nutters that have hijacked it (again ),  and make it a proper electable opposition.

I voted for Starmer and I'm very happy. I want a Labour leader who can actually win elections - and I'm convinced that he was the best option. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Looks like all the party leaders are meeting with Boris next week, Starmer having accepted the invitation. Hope Boris is wearing a mask! 

Interesting to see who might populate the shadow cabinet. Perhaps Yvette Cooper, Hilary Benn? Rachel Reeves seems as if she may have a big role in it, plus Lucy Powell.

Congratulations to multi-millionaire, knight of the realm for being elected as head of the working people's party. Your creation of Labour's Brexit strategy was a wondrous thing to behold and we look forward to similar foobars in the coming years. Ps. Watch out for Momentum.