king canary

New Labour Leader

Away from the mess that is the Brexit thread...

Who do people expect to be/want to be the new Labour party leader?

I'm personally voting for Lisa Nandy as my first preference- I think she has the ability to connect Labour back with its heartlands while still pursuing a solidly left wing agenda.

Starmer as second choice.

I expect Starmer to win though, although if RLB does I'm out.

The less said about Thornberry the better.

As a member I would go for Nandy as there has to be change and an end to the Momentum dominance. As much as I believed in a lot of the policies that RLB drew up, there is no point in having them if it prevents you from governing. It has to be evolution and the last manifesto was probably too revolutionary for those who swap from party to party, and they are the ones the Party needs to persuade.

Starmer is probably the media choice and I think he will gain the advantage of that. 

I advocated Nandy from the word go and she's still my top choice.

Do expect it to be Starmer though. He'd be a safe pair of hands and solid choice. 

RLB can f*** right off. She's part of the problem, not the solution and as leader would cement Labour's current position as the status quo.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, kick it off said:

I advocated Nandy from the word go and she's still my top choice.

Do expect it to be Starmer though. He'd be a safe pair of hands and solid choice. 

RLB can f*** right off. She's part of the problem, not the solution and as leader would cement Labour's current position as the status quo.

I'm the same. I'm pleased Phillips has endorsed Nandy after she dropped out. 

I do think Starmer benefits from being the only man in the race- lots of subconscious bias that men are more electable.

24 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'm the same. I'm pleased Phillips has endorsed Nandy after she dropped out. 

I do think Starmer benefits from being the only man in the race- lots of subconscious bias that men are more electable.

That’s very true, but he does come across as a bit more statesman like, due his background, but I also think he would be the best counter to BJ. 
When I listen to Nandy I think she is very good indeed, she dealt with AN very well. She has an honesty and and conveys an impression of being “one of the people “ I fear that freshness might get ground down after 5 ( possibly ) years in opposition. Her strength has been on Brexit and representing a group that Corbyn’s Labour have ignored, once Brexit is not the highest thing on the political agenda I think Starmer will offer more rounded leadership.

However, VW, it is sad that it might all come down to personalities. I just hope to goodness it isn't the Momentum block vote or I will leave the Party once again.

So many of Labour's policies appeal to much of the country and many don't (can you have two many's from the same whole?). And just quoting tax cuts seems to work for those even on PAYE, even if it grabbed back by increasing costs like energy and travel may also have worked for Boris.

So Labour does have to find some middle ground without the shady morals of Tony Blair.

14 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

However, VW, it is sad that it might all come down to personalities. I just hope to goodness it isn't the Momentum block vote or I will leave the Party once again.

So many of Labour's policies appeal to much of the country and many don't (can you have two many's from the same whole?). And just quoting tax cuts seems to work for those even on PAYE, even if it grabbed back by increasing costs like energy and travel may also have worked for Boris.

So Labour does have to find some middle ground without the shady morals of Tony Blair.

The tax cuts point is missing what happened imo KG

The Tory landslide was about a massive feeling of injustice felt by those that voted to leave and the lack of any electable alternative.

I would have voted for a party that favoured leaving but with a close trading relationship, that wasn’t on offer from anyone.

Just now, Herman said:

An important question to ask is who would Johnson fear the most?

I'd guess Starmer. Maybe Nandy. Part of me thought Phillips would be the toughest opponent for him.

I don't think anyone in the Tory party fears RLB and Thornberry would be ripped to pieces.

I think Thornberry would be good at PMQs. She could swat his bluster and nonsense away quite easily. But that isn't enough to be leader. I also think the tories are hoping for RLB? Would that be a fair accusation?

11 minutes ago, Herman said:

I think Thornberry would be good at PMQs. She could swat his bluster and nonsense away quite easily. But that isn't enough to be leader. I also think the tories are hoping for RLB? Would that be a fair accusation?

That would be my guess. Doubling down on the Corbyn/Momentum favoured candidate, keeping the party further to the left than most of the public are comfortable with, letting the Tories claim to be the central ground.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Herman said:

😀

I like Nandy but hope anybody else wins as Labour are proven over and over to be dangerous to our economic wellbeing whenever they gain power.  As a patriot I want no more Liebore governments. 

5 hours ago, Herman said:

She is a racist bigot so it would be great for the Tories. Bring it on.....  

5 hours ago, Herman said:

Johnson has no need to fear anybody as long as he sticks to delivering a nice hard Brexit.   

7 minutes ago, paul moy said:

She is a racist bigot so it would be great for the Tories. Bring it on.....  

So are they.So are you?? What point are you trying to make?

1 hour ago, Herman said:

So are they.So are you?? What point are you trying to make?

Nobody is more racist than lefties......

Weirdly enough the opinions of people like Moy and RTB who wouldn't dream of voting for the modern Labour Party aren't that relevant to who gets chosen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Weirdly enough the opinions of people like Moy and RTB who wouldn't dream of voting for the modern Labour Party aren't that relevant to who gets chosen.

I’m interested that you say the “modern” Labour Party KC, are you saying that to distinguish it from “new” Labour or any other fairly recent manifestation.
To be honest atm I have no idea what Labour stands for, it seems to me that the  party means different things to different people. I have been a supporter of moderate centre left parties in the past and would certainly be again, is that what “modern “ Labour is moving towards or could we replace the word modern with “momentum” in which case I wouldn’t touch it with a barge board.

This leadership election is so important for the parties future, my fear is that whoever wins is not going to be able to change the direction the at the party has moved in. The leadership,for better or worse, has handed significant power over to its members, it makes it much harder to change direction.

Thing is Winky, if this government gets too right wing, it will play into the hands of Momentum and it will garner greater support. If Brexit was the real decider in the election, then in the next five years when it will be done and dusted, those people that wouldn't ordinarily want a bar of a right wing government, will look to someone else for help.

We are in a real paradox right now. If all parties move to the centre, and with a market economy, there will be very little difference between them and little choice. But conversely, we do not need an extreme government or parties.

Johnson will make a grave error sooner or later. I just hope Labour can provide a leader who can exploit those weaknesses.

And Moy and RTB are just a couple loonies whose opinion means little on this site apart from football. They are too extreme but the biggest moaners.

57 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Thing is Winky, if this government gets too right wing, it will play into the hands of Momentum and it will garner greater support. If Brexit was the real decider in the election, then in the next five years when it will be done and dusted, those people that wouldn't ordinarily want a bar of a right wing government, will look to someone else for help.

We are in a real paradox right now. If all parties move to the centre, and with a market economy, there will be very little difference between them and little choice. But conversely, we do not need an extreme government or parties.

Johnson will make a grave error sooner or later. I just hope Labour can provide a leader who can exploit those weaknesses.

And Moy and RTB are just a couple loonies whose opinion means little on this site apart from football. They are too extreme but the biggest moaners.

I recon BJ is far more Liberal in a lot of his views than many realise. I really dont see this government become too right wing, not in the short term anyway. The influence of Cummins will be interesting, he clearly has a right wing agenda but it depends on how much power he will ultimately have now the election has been won. I do support many of his views on the need for reform of the Civil Service but some of his other stuff is a step too far for me. Of course that remark depends on a definition of right wing, which for each of us is probably different.

Johnson will play to whatever gallery will get him enough votes. He has no beliefs or principles 

4 minutes ago, Herman said:

Johnson will play to whatever gallery will get him enough votes. He has no beliefs or principles 

Of course, he's a politician, unfortunately in the modern era conviction politicians seem to spend their time in opposition. Having won the election with such a landslide he now has some space to try and deliver what he believes in, if he wishes to.

Edited by Van wink

He doesn't believe in anything but we have to hope he is pragmatic enough not to go too far down the headbangers route. 

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

I recon BJ is far more Liberal in a lot of his views than many realise. I really dont see this government become too right wing, not in the short term anyway. The influence of Cummins will be interesting, he clearly has a right wing agenda but it depends on how much power he will ultimately have now the election has been won. I do support many of his views on the need for reform of the Civil Service but some of his other stuff is a step too far for me. Of course that remark depends on a definition of right wing, which for each of us is probably different.

Left wing or right wing is irrelevant where Brexit is concerned as both sides of the spectrum voted out.  If Boris delivers for the majority he will be in power as long as he wishes. Labour can never deliver for the majority on their current path to oblivion.  

39 minutes ago, Herman said:

He doesn't believe in anything but we have to hope he is pragmatic enough not to go too far down the headbangers route. 

He believes in Brexit and that will drive him and the country to major success.