Sign in to follow this  
The Real Buh

Tainted Title

1 hour ago, The Real Buh said:

I’m not saying they aren’t but there have been many great teams that have had poor domestic challengers

Poor domestic challengers? 

7 of 7 teams have qualified from european competition group stages this year.    Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs look to be on poor form in the premier league but were still good enough to get through to European finals within the last 9 months.   Arsenal and Spurs were only runners up because premier league teams stopped them.

We can all have subjective opinions but what objective basis is there for the claim the liverpool arn't a very good team or that the rest of the league are poor?

I think all the top clubs are a bit off par, not just in England. Compare with five, ten or more years ago, I think a lot of them are just not where they used to be at. If you’re a Liverpool fan, who in Europe scares you? Barca haven’t got the x-factor they had, Madrid are off the boil and aging, Juve possibly, Bayern not really at it this season. Who else? 

I think that also extends to players. Take away Messi and Ronaldo (who are arguably the best of all time admittedly) but then who else is there in anywhere near a similar bracket? When I was growing up, you had names like Buffon, Oliver Kahn, Casillas, Maldini, Roberto Carlos, Figo, Zidane, Brazilian Ronaldo, Raul, Scholes, Shevchenko, Cafu, Rivaldo, Ballack, Henry, Pirlo, Totti, Ronaldinho. Even a bit later say 2010ish, Iniesta, Xavi, Schweinsteiger, Lahm, Puyol, Kaka, Ibrahimovic, Portuguese Ronaldo, Messi.

Edited by Aggy