Making Plans

Tonights relegation games

A win at Spurs and it really does become a scrap. We will have a weakened team of course but the coaching team and players know what they have to do. If we get beaten by a better team, CL finalists, then so be it. There is no point them going there for a draw.

And if Leicester overcome their attackĀ of the hiccups then it will be a much bigger group fighting at the bottom.

But our run in does look a bit tough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

I see the doom mongers have woken up, but we are still one win away from being in touching reach of the rest.

I'm with you Lakey and ready with the lifeboats when the others want to get back onšŸ™ƒ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

I'm with you Lakey and ready with the lifeboats when the others want to get back onšŸ™ƒ

Deluded like Delia. We're relegated. I will enjoy Emi, Pukki, Max, Duda and Co in the Prem while I can and hope to god we spend and recruit well to replace the creativity and goals for next season.Ā 

• Like 1

Iā€™d love to see 5 at the back and two deep midfielders to grind out a draw, maybe even snatch 3 points, but it will probably be another repeat of the Man Utd away performance,Ā if we base the forecast on the recent past. Spurs play along the flaw with 3 quick forwards,Ā without Kane,Ā so thatā€™s prime slow defenders over exposed mode šŸ¤Æ

Bournemouth result not at all as bad as some seem to think. We need to catch 3 teams not one and I'd rather have as many teams within catching distance as possible.

Meanwhile Southampton up to 9th!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hillhead said:

Bournemouth result not at all as bad as some seem to think. We need to catch 3 teams not one and I'd rather have as many teams within catching distance as possible.

Just shows what a string of results can achieve, they looked as buried as we do. Question that still has to be answered is are we capable of stringing a run together? A shock win tonight and itā€™s game on.

• Like 1

Not great results for us but not terrible either. Doesn't really change what we have to do. IF we can get 4 points from Spurs / Newcastle it'll really heat things up..

And meanwhile in the real world the games are ticking by with us still no closer to getting off the bottom.

18 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

And meanwhile in the real world the games are ticking by with us still no closer to getting off the bottom.

Ah yes, reality, like where we were when all the doom mongers said we were heading for league one after our draw with the binners last season. That reality soon changed......

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Ah yes, reality, like where we were when all the doom mongers said we were heading for league one after our draw with the binners last season. That reality soon changed......

Lakey that draw you refer to was in August after a mere handful of games but today we are heading towards the end of January and it will take 3 wins to clamber off the foot of the table. Please take into consideration we have won only 4 all season.

Yes reality.

• Like 1

Without meaning to state the obvious, we don't know if other results are good for us until after tonight.

Worst case scenario we end up 8 points off 17th and worse off than we were on Monday.

Best case we're suddenly 3 off safety and gaining confidence.

Ā 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Well b back said:

Watford beating Villa. Pity we didnā€™t spend Ā£140 million lol

Completely agree Well b back, that if we operated a similar model to Watford with their conservative net transfer spend of Ā£19m per year in the Prem, looking mostly to acquire undervalued players in a range of Ā£2m to Ā£8m, but selling the occassional player when it realises a healthy profit for the club (like Richarlson) we may not have lost to Villa twice and would look like we have a very good chance of staying up.Ā 

At least, I think that's what you were saying?

• Like 1

Yes, kingo, that is the reality andĀ I prefer the "let's see what happens" approachĀ to the "we are down because of what happened in the past" idea. Football doesn't follow any strict format. Just look at Southampton, who were beaten 0-9 at home which you would have thought would finish them off. We have special attributes too and are slightly unpredictable. A good end to the season is still possible and there is everything to play for.

From injuries to crazy result night like last night, the gods simply don't seem to favour us.Ā 

1 minute ago, Nono said:

From injuries to crazy result night like last night, the gods simply don't seem to favour us.Ā 

The end of our injury crisis didn't seem to result in any sort of substantial uptick in form unfortunately, like it did for Watford. Rather we went down the table instead of up.Ā 

It was then that people woke up to the fact that we simply don't have quite enough quality in the squad. Our problems ran deeper than being a centre back short.Ā 

4 hours ago, Hillhead said:

Redmond doing his usual thing of being absolute dog sh*t for the first half of the season and then turning it on for the last 15 games before the summer window.Ā 

None of this really matters, all that matters is my third strip shorts are in the post which means it's just a matter of days before I get to wear them around in the house with the heating up and a fan on closing my eyes and imagining im on a beach in Sao Paulo with tropical birds all around me...

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The end of our injury crisis didn't seem to result in any sort of substantial uptick in form unfortunately, like it did for Watford. Rather we went down the table instead of up.Ā 

It was then that people woke up to the fact that we simply don't have quite enough quality in the squad. Our problems ran deeper than being a centre back short.Ā 

I agree with your overall point on quality but the reality is the injury crisis at the start of the season, in my opinion, resulted in a massive loss of confidence regarding our defenders which impacted the whole team. I'd say it's only recently we've started to play with a bit more freedom generally since then.

1 hour ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

None of this really matters, all that matters is my third strip shorts are in the post which means it's just a matter of days before I get to wear them around in the house with the heating up and a fan on closing my eyes and imagining im on a beach in Sao Paulo with tropical birds all around me...

Iā€™m wondering if TIL can help illustrate your post with a picture of a tropical bird or two?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Iā€™m wondering if TIL can help illustrate your post with a picture of a tropical bird or two?

I'm happy to oblige in his absence.

(Photo of a Keel-billed Toucan by Andy Morrfew)

Keel-billed_Toucan_(16201157519).jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chumino said:

Deluded like Delia. We're relegated. I will enjoy Emi, Pukki, Max, Duda and Co in the Prem while I can and hope to god we spend and recruit well to replace the creativity and goals for next season.Ā 

Quite happy to be like Delia. We do have many things in common.Ā 

I expect you'd rather she publically gave up like you and yellow belly or whatever his name is. Or maybe not....

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

It took a lot of momentum out of us. Anyone can see it did.Ā 

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I agree with your overall point on quality but the reality is the injury crisis at the start of the season, in my opinion, resulted in a massive loss of confidence regarding our defenders which impacted the whole team. I'd say it's only recently we've started to play with a bit more freedom generally since then.

Yes it's a combination of things isn't it... I must say th confidence being shot is one of the most underestimated reasons we've been losing. I agree with those that say we don't have enough quality and depth in the squad ... Injury crisis makes that painfully evident

This evening might have a surprise for us to enjoy , but the PL up till now has been mostly harsh reality ... Another Man City like upset? I hope so , but I don't think so

• Like 1

Our next 5 games. If we can get into a battling position from this we would surely have a chance, but it's not looking likely at all.

Ā Ā Ā  Wed 22 (A) Tottenham Hotspur
Ā Ā  Ā Sat 01 (A) Newcastle United
Ā Ā  Ā Sat 15 (H) Liverpool
Ā Ā  Ā Sun 23 (A) Wolverhampton Wanderers
Ā Ā  Ā Fri 28 (H) Leicester City

6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Quite happy to be like Delia. We do have many things in common.Ā 

I expect you'd rather she publically gave up like you and yellow belly or whatever his name is. Or maybe not....

Realist. Yes I'd rather she publicly gave up, long overdue. She must be so horribly conflicted with all that nastyĀ  Capitilist money in the Premier leugue.Ā 

I'm glad you share so much in common with her, how lovely. Enlighten us. Do get a little tipsy in the company of remoaners on her courtesy coaches or maybe you boil an egg just like her?Ā