ged in the onion bag

Are we a better team since promotion........?

I think on the whole we have continued much in the same way as we played last year. The standard of defending is still the same but the finishing from PL players of course is top drawer. 

If we are to go down, I suspect we will be a match for 90% of teams in the championship. 

It’s very hard to argue that the team as a whole has improved. We have been unlucky with injuries and decisions, yes we have also played well at times and got nothing, however the results speak for themselves.

There are however a few individuals that have really kicked on, shown their PL quality or even surprised with their performances.

Id say Pukki, Buendia, Cantwell and Aarons have all kicked on, I’d also say Tettey has also surprised and is playing well at this level, Krul as well, although still guilty of the occasional poor decision. Of our additions Byram certainly looks comfortable at this level and I’d a good improvement for the squad.

For me the jury’s out on the rest as to whether they’ve improved this year and made the step up.

On 20/01/2020 at 18:14, keelansgrandad said:

Yes. Some of the squad look a bit out of their depth in the EPL but most of the squad, if playing in a top side, would look even better.

Only ones who haven't, IMO, are Stiepermann, Leitner, Trybull and Hernandez.

Ah yes, the ones who have barely played 🙈😬

Half a dozen have stepped up, half a dozen have flopped big time.

That was always going to happen which is why you have to add a bit of quality and depth when you get promoted and have to take tough decisions on leaving a few behind, which we failed to do (or decided not to do?).

I don’t think players have flopped as much as found their ceiling.

Stiepermann, Leitner, Trybull, Hanley and Vrancic just aren’t premier league players in my opinion.

Players like Hernandez, Tettey, Zimmerman and McLean are probably squad players at best at this level.

Aarons, Godfrey and Lewis have all suffered the kind of learning curve you’d expect for young players making a big step up- I think they’ll all have improved based on the experience of this season.

Krul, Pukki, Buendia and Cantwell have all exceeded my expectations.

The question is can Farke restore the confidence of those that have struggled this season if we do go down.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Ah yes, the ones who have barely played 🙈😬

Stiepermann played plenty enough games for us to see that's he out of his depth, 16 appearances. 

And Trybull has also played in two thirds of our games! 

Harsh on Hernandez admittedly.  

13 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

I'd say that's a nigh on perfect assessment. You can add Bryam to exceeded to be fair to him.

It might have been naive of us all to have expected Stiepermann et al to have flourish and propelled us up the table, they were offered longer term contracts after all, however equally, the cynical part of me does think it was done because it was clear we'd go back down without any deeper investment. Hence keeping together a competitive core in the Champ season 20/21.