Sign in to follow this  
Feedthewolf

Run Norwich for the CSF

Charity entries for this year's Run Norwich 10k open tomorrow at 9am. I'm going to sign up to do it for the CSF, which is the race's official charity for this year. I'm lardy and unfit, so I'm using it as a motivator to get myself out on the road. Anyone else on here planning to run?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Charity entries for this year's Run Norwich 10k open tomorrow at 9am. I'm going to sign up to do it for the CSF, which is the race's official charity for this year. I'm lardy and unfit, so I'm using it as a motivator to get myself out on the road. Anyone else on here planning to run?

Yes FTW, I will be there too.

I support CSF in various other ways so usually run for another charity (last year Big C) , but it's a great event . Until I ran this 4 years ago, I never realised Norwich was so hilly! 

I've done Run Norwich 3 times for CSF and they support you really well.  They did some specific training sessions last year at the Nest which were awesome - not just for experienced runners, but for beginners too.  Thoroughly recommend Run Norwich, it's a brilliant event.  The crowds are great, the course is challenging and the atmosphere is brilliant.  

Word of warning - it'll be warm in mid-July, make sure you do your training.  Everyone will tell you that running up Rose Lane is a killer, but for me, the hardest part is the climb from Magdalen Street up Tombland and onto Castle Meadow at 8-9 kilometres in.

I'm running this year for Cruse Norwich.

5 minutes ago, Woodman said:

I've done Run Norwich 3 times for CSF and they support you really well.  They did some specific training sessions last year at the Nest which were awesome - not just for experienced runners, but for beginners too.  Thoroughly recommend Run Norwich, it's a brilliant event.  The crowds are great, the course is challenging and the atmosphere is brilliant.  

Word of warning - it'll be warm in mid-July, make sure you do your training.  Everyone will tell you that running up Rose Lane is a killer, but for me, the hardest part is the climb from Magdalen Street up Tombland and onto Castle Meadow at 8-9 kilometres in.

I'm running this year for Cruse Norwich.

Agree completely Woody. Also I find that mentally , as you are running , you know those last hills are looming . Even the very last bend past M and S ! 

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice! Mrs Wolf did it last year for the Nancy Oldfield Trust, and she went to some of the training sessions at The Nest. I'd be lying if I said I'm looking forward to it, but I'm sure the sense of achievement at the other end will make it all worthwhile!

My wife and I have just packed in long distance running, marathons particularly, and three years ago thought of doing the run. 10K was no more than a tea time training run and we knew Rose Lane and Castle Meadow but they are "nips" compared to the hills around Cornwall.

And guess what. I pulled my left hamstring badly running DOWNHILL at St Stephens. So be careful Wolfie. Downhill is just as bad as running up. The old motto, no-one ever broke a leg falling upstairs is valid. Do some warmups to get the heart rate up by jogging up London Street beforehand. And drink plenty of water BEFORE not just during the run.

But it is a great run and encompasses some of the great landmarks of England. None more than running around the football ground. And we finished up in the Trowel & Hammer which used to be one of our drinking holes in the 60s

Good luck

• Like 1

18 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

My wife and I have just packed in long distance running, marathons particularly, and three years ago thought of doing the run. 10K was no more than a tea time training run and we knew Rose Lane and Castle Meadow but they are "nips" compared to the hills around Cornwall.

And guess what. I pulled my left hamstring badly running DOWNHILL at St Stephens. So be careful Wolfie. Downhill is just as bad as running up. The old motto, no-one ever broke a leg falling upstairs is valid. Do some warmups to get the heart rate up by jogging up London Street beforehand. And drink plenty of water BEFORE not just during the run.

But it is a great run and encompasses some of the great landmarks of England. None more than running around the football ground. And we finished up in the Trowel & Hammer which used to be one of our drinking holes in the 60s

Good luck

Many thanks for the sage advice, KG! My mother used to run marathons (best time 3:29), so she's also a great source of advice. I'm trying to tempt her out of retirement...

Many thanks for the sage advice, KG! My mother used to run marathons (best time 3:29), so she's also a great source of advice. I'm trying to tempt her out of retirement...

Big respect to your mother Wolfie. That is a cracking time.