Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Recommended Posts

Not even on the bench yesterday, Rupp taking his place. I imagine he might be back next week as cover for central defence but is he now about 4th choice for defensive midfield?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t see the point in us keeping him if he’s now not even going to get on the bench - unless he was unwell or picked up a knock.  We might as well cut our losses and bring someone in who we might actually play.   Huge disappointment for me as I think he’s barely been given a chance but he’s played only one full game in the position we bought him for. 

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would have thought Farke has seen enough in training to know if Amadou would improve the midfield or not.If others have stepped up and impressed that’s why they play and he doesn’t .

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he can't improve the midfield then why? 

Came from a top division. 

Are they all really worse than the Premier league? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the fact he's not been able to get into our team sort of means i'm starting to see why he was available on loan with no guaranteed transfer fee and only started 7 times last season for Sevilla in La Liga.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Well, the fact he's not been able to get into our team sort of means i'm starting to see why he was available on loan with no guaranteed transfer fee and only started 7 times last season for Sevilla in La Liga.

Thing is his value has got have gone down after two seasons of not getting into the squad nor starting many times. He’s looked solid enough when played as a holding midfielder, so makes you question why he hasn’t made that step into our team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Indy said:

Thing is his value has got have gone down after two seasons of not getting into the squad nor starting many times. He’s looked solid enough when played as a holding midfielder, so makes you question why he hasn’t made that step into our team.

It's really because others have stepped up and kept him out of the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It's really because others have stepped up and kept him out of the team.

I don’t think they though Lakey, our holding midfielders are accountable for a lot of goals we’ve given away this year. We’ve had a lot of combinations in that spot so why hasn’t Amadou made it his own?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It's really because others have stepped up and kept him out of the team.

Really? Our 40+ goals conceded suggests somewhat differently!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His passing isn’t good enough.

He was an excellent 5th choice centre back.

CDM was a key area for an upgrade. It could have been him.

Increased athleticism, presence and top level experience were desirable.

He’s on loan and unlikely to sign next season, so if a player that is likely to stay - say MacLean - is more-or-less as good, it makes sense to play the player that maintains a core unit of stability, harmony and team ethos for next season.

He ticked a lot of boxes pre-season, now he ticks them a bit less. 

Parma 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Indy said:

I don’t think they though Lakey, our holding midfielders are accountable for a lot of goals we’ve given away this year. We’ve had a lot of combinations in that spot so why hasn’t Amadou made it his own?

Ok, I'll put it another way......he hasn't done enough to show he can do any better than the others. I do though think that Tettey - who is his direct competition - has been exceptional this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

His passing isn’t good enough.

He was an excellent 5th choice centre back.

CDM was a key area for an upgrade. It could have been him.

Increased athleticism, presence and top level experience were desirable.

He’s on loan and unlikely to sign next season, so if a player that is likely to stay - say MacLean - is more-or-less as good, it makes sense to play the player that maintains a core unit of stability, harmony and team ethos for next season.

He ticked a lot of boxes pre-season, now he ticks them a bit less. 

Parma 

I think that's the clincher.

Our game is so dependent on quick fire passing & instant control that any player who can't demonstrate those abilities on a consistent basis is never going to be part of the starting eleven. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Ok, I'll put it another way......he hasn't done enough to show he can do any better than the others. I do though think that Tettey - who is his direct competition - has been exceptional this season.

Yes that’s what I said earlier Lakey, but agree with others that he’s not had the same run of games as say McClean who I don’t rate as highly as some on here. So there must’ve an underlying issue, be it personality, not that good or can’t be arsed either way if he’s not wanted terminate the loan, we’ve just signed Rupp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

His passing isn’t good enough.

He was an excellent 5th choice centre back.

CDM was a key area for an upgrade. It could have been him.

Increased athleticism, presence and top level experience were desirable.

He’s on loan and unlikely to sign next season, so if a player that is likely to stay - say MacLean - is more-or-less as good, it makes sense to play the player that maintains a core unit of stability, harmony and team ethos for next season.

He ticked a lot of boxes pre-season, now he ticks them a bit less. 

Parma 

Not seen enough of him personally to judge his passing but your overall point is more than valid, and you've probably watched more of him than me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

His passing isn’t good enough. 

Tettey's much maligned passing (at least in terms of ambition and range) can't be much better, he keeps things very very simple. Surely Amadou could do similar?

Edited by kirku

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kirku said:

Tettey's much maligned passing (at least in terms of ambition and range) can't be much better, he keeps things very very simple. Surely Amadou could do similar?

He was previously captain in a Marco Bielsa managed team, and he isn't exactly known for playing hoofball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The asking price for him is £9.5. We have first dibs on him included in the current loan deal. 

Don't see city shelling out 9.5m for him at all, and likely the reason he hasn’t been a regular in the squad or team. Imagine he will be off soon.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Canary dwarf said:

Surely he's gotta be better than trybull but can see Kenny getting an extended run in that position alongside tettey otbc

You are now banned from having an opinion... in my opinion.  😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amadou's pass success rate is slightly lower than either of Trybull's or Tettey's, but not enough to be massively impactful, especially when it's a clear 10% higher than McLean's, so I personally don't think that's the key issue, but I do think that he's not proved better than either of TT or AT in any meaningful way (even taking into account his limited time in a DM role), and if you can't oust one of them (or even McLean) from the midfield, then you're not a player worth paying nearly 10mil for at the end of the season, and not likely to get many starts either.

Doesn't look totally comfortable at CB for that matter, and I think it's a case that a loan that looked good on paper, hasn't looked as good in reality and on the training ground.

Somewhat fortunate that we didn't spend the money in the summer, otherwise we'd be moaning about paying a lot of money for a guy no better than what we have - who are already struggling as it is!

I also heard rumours that he and Tettey didn't get along, is there anything in this, or just more social media speculation and BS?

Edited by Indy_Bones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indy Bones,

I would suggest that MacLean attempts - not always successfully admittedly - more incisive and meaningful passes than Amadou. 

Passing stats can be misleading in this sense - particularly in the case of Amadou I would suggest - who does not always appear to have a picture in his mind of what he’s going to do next,  so takes a longer than optimal time to decide and release the pass, often missing a more progressive pass and shovelling the ball on without enough intention or ‘message on the ball’.

He may not lose it like this (though he does lose the ball in areas where he shouldn’t too often in my view), though he too often ‘eats’ space created by others or fails to exploit a small miss-shape created in the opposition via delayed release. 

You could argue this delay is worthwhile if it leads to a clever picked pass, though he too often then plays a very simple pass, which should be done quickly to keep the opposition moving and out of shape. 

Parma 

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Ok, I'll put it another way......he hasn't done enough to show he can do any better than the others. I do though think that Tettey - who is his direct competition - has been exceptional this season.

We are bottom of the table, 6 points from safety, by far the worst goal difference and have won two games in our last 18. No one has been exceptional this season you loon.

 

 

 

Edited by Iwans Big Toe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

We are bottom of the table, 6 points from safety, by far the worst goal difference and have won two games in our last 18. No one has been exceptional this season you loon.

Tettey has been excellent, no "loon" about it. 😐

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don't get the McLean hate. He is our most effective midfielder in the centre, attacking or holding.

And he can head the ball. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Tettey has been excellent, no "loon" about it. 😐

I believe you mean out of our quad in that position he’s been the pick of bunch, but excellent is a stretch far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Tettey has been excellent, no "loon" about it. 😐

Vardy has been excellent. Mane has been exceptional. There are no Norwich players that anyone, even the most deluded Norwich fan, can claim have been better than decent.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

Vardy has been excellent. Mane has been exceptional. There are no Norwich players that anyone, even the most deluded Norwich fan, can claim have been better than decent.

What have Vardy and Mane got to do with anything? For us Tettey has been exceptional this season - and the best I have seen him play in any season he's had with us. That is why Amadou hasn't had a sniff as DM.

Edited by lake district canary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×