Sign in to follow this  
Dr Greenthumb

Jamal Lewis

I’d try to keep all our best players for as long as possible to boost our chances of going straight back up next season. Lewis is still very young and I reckon he may wreck his career if he moves to another Premiership club as I can’t see him getting regular first team football anywhere else because he’s fallen out of favour with us. 

21 minutes ago, Yellow Green Army said:

Byram, Aaron’s and Lewis would all be in my starting eleven, so keep from me!

Aarons ahead of Byram on the right and Lewis at left back.

Huh? You'd start Aarons over Emi at AM?

Just now, HazzaJet said:

I’d try to keep all our best players for as long as possible to boost our chances of going straight back up next season. Lewis is still very young and I reckon he may wreck his career if he moves to another Premiership club as I can’t see him getting regular first team football anywhere else because he’s fallen out of favour with us. 

Another team may allow for him to play his natural game more because they have a defensive strategy and players capable of covering his runs forward.

I think as a previous post noted, how is  it with all this young 'talked about' talent, that we find ourselvesstruggling? And that may be it, may be these players fitted in a team where they are not all young promising footballers, but seasoned premier League players can allow them to flourish.

I am not saying our players are not flourishing, because that certainly isn't the case. But I do also note that they will eventually move to clubs where they will join seasoned pros who have played many games in the prem.

Everyone seems to be forgetting. Whilst it’s been stated “we don’t need to sell in this January window, we are a self financing club. One or more will be sold come the summer, and Lewis is a very likely candidate.

38 minutes ago, kirku said:

Those tend to fetch around £10m these days.

Like who?

9 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Like who?

Bournemouth spent a combined £17.5m on Kelly and Stacey, who've played 9 games between them. Newcastle bought Krafth for £5m, Brighton paid £9m for Bernardo. None of them had a minute of Prem football to their name and aren't exactly regulars in their sides. 

Then you've got players like Webster going for £20m, Kalas over £8m, Gibson £15m. Again, either never played in the Prem or aren't getting in their sides. Even second choice keepers such as Angus and Danny Ward are going for over £10m.

35 minutes ago, kirku said:

Bournemouth spent a combined £17.5m on Kelly and Stacey, who've played 9 games between them. Newcastle bought Krafth for £5m, Brighton paid £9m for Bernardo. None of them had a minute of Prem football to their name and aren't exactly regulars in their sides. 

Then you've got players like Webster going for £20m, Kalas over £8m, Gibson £15m. Again, either never played in the Prem or aren't getting in their sides. Even second choice keepers such as Angus and Danny Ward are going for over £10m.

Kelly was 20 when he signed for rumoured to be 13 mil (and a youth international).

Stacey - 4 mil fee, younger than Byram.

Krafth rather proves my point that 5 mil might be about right, but certainly not a lot more. He’s also an international who has played more than 40 games in Série A and a full season in Ligue 1 as well.

Bernardo plays in midfield as well as defence and had played in the champions league and Europa league. 9 mil.

Webster is a centre back (although arguably the best example for your point on this list to be fair). Centre backs will go for more than a full back (unless the full back offers a lot going forward such as Wan Bassaka). Kalas has 19 international caps. Gibson also really a centre back who was a regular first choice pick for Boro in the prem.

Byram will be nearly 27 at the start of next season, no international or youth international experience and doesn’t offer too much going forward. Nobody you’ve mentioned is particularly comparable to him and certainly none of that list makes me think he’s worth 15-20 mil or even 10. Like I said, maybe 5-6 mil. We might feel he is worth more than that to us (and therefore not sell him), but I really don’t see anyone offering 10 mil plus. All hypotheticals of course.

Definitely don't sell.     Byram is in because Farke doesn't move players out if they are doing well and it will only make Jamal more determined when his chance comes again.     Whilst Sam is very good defensively, there is definitely a balance and quality issue where Jamal excels going forward.     There's for's and against's for both but we should have 3 full-backs of this quality at least and Byrams ability on both sides means we can get away without 4!    

If we are going to sell players, then the plan surely requires that we look to replace / improve on Steipermann, Vrancic, Hanley and Tettey by next season!    

OTBC, there is clear evidence we are improving, we can get out of this!