Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Dr Greenthumb

Jamal Lewis

Recommended Posts

Who thinks we should cash in? I personally wouldn’t be against it, means we have money for other areas, as Quintilla will be a lot cheaper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, still a great player, still learning and as potential to be even better than any player we 'would/could' buy with the money.

 

Edited to add,

Jamal as been somewhat forgotten about since Max's rise -  he still is very good and could be even better aswell as Byram as done, Jamal is very much first choice for me.

Edited by CDMullins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would rather he was starting games for us and bombing up that left wing, Byram's a good player but his lack of a left foot is really hampering us on that side

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn’t be too bothered if sold. Has a lot of potential, but really needs to bulk up over the summer. Has looked incredibly lightweight this season and one I’ve been slightly disappointed in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Tired said:

Would rather he was starting games for us and bombing up that left wing, Byram's a good player but his lack of a left foot is really hampering us on that side

And yet Byram is so much better defensively than Lewis, and we look more solid with Byram in our defence.

It's a very thin line and choice as both have different attributes

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d imagine that Aaron’s will be sold in the summer with Byram moving to right back and Lewis back in at left back. No way should we be looking to sell him, will be a top player

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely keep him. Bryam has done well but from the defensive viewpoint cannot see much difference between the two. Lewis far better in an attacking role and I actually feel we have missed his forays up the wing over recent weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

I thought Lewis was our best defender in the early part of the season, better than Aarons. Would be mad to sell.

Agreed. 

And with Max likely to move on in the summer, and full back pairing of Lewis and Byram is pretty strong. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bryam has done pretty well. He was magnificent against Manchester City. However, I don’t watch him and think he’s a whole level above Lewis. Plus, him being right footed affects his attacking play. Could do better in that regard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think he’s already done enough to attract some attention from other clubs. Been a rumour for a while that Klopp is a big fan, and I could totally see him as at least back up to Robertson, think he’d suit them like a dream unfortunately. Palace linked today, they always want top dollar for their players (Wan-Bissaka and Zaha), but I bet they make a paltry offer just because he’s not been starting of late. Really hope we keep him. Will be a top top player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JF said:

I’d imagine that Aaron’s will be sold in the summer with Byram moving to right back and Lewis back in at left back. No way should we be looking to sell him, will be a top player

Absolutely this. We also need quality replacements to come in if required.

Edited by Capt. Pants

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why sell to Palace? 

Aarons is a different level and we have cover in Bryam.

But selling Lewis to only leave Bryam out of position would be nuts. 

Lewis needs to be with us next season unless stupid money comes in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tired said:

Would rather he was starting games for us and bombing up that left wing, Byram's a good player but his lack of a left foot is really hampering us on that side

Agree with that, but I just feel with January’s inflated prices and the fact he’s out of the team, means we could gather cash 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nono said:

Why sell to Palace? 

Aarons is a different level and we have cover in Bryam.

But selling Lewis to only leave Bryam out of position would be nuts. 

Lewis needs to be with us next season unless stupid money comes in. 

That’s why we were linked with quintilla, feel there must be a reason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'd rather have our attacking fullbacks from last season tbh.

Byram has done pretty well, and maybe is slightly better defensively than Lewis, but Lewis certainly used to offer us much more going forward, and with Aarons doing the same on the opposite side, it gave the opposition a lot more to think about and deal with than at present.

I don't think we're any more sound defensively with Byram instead of Lewis, and with both being more withdrawn than before, the loss in attacking threat has been a big miss, especially when Cantwell and Buendia are more central and we have no real wide outlet at times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sell him this transfer window, no. Sell him in the summer, I wouldn't be too bothered, personally think he's declined lately and isn't great defensively. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting to think how much Byram is worth now. Bought for 750k in the summer and must be worth about £15-20m now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, kirku said:

Interesting to think how much Byram is worth now. Bought for 750k in the summer and must be worth about £15-20m now?

No chance anyone would spend 15 or 20 million on him. Had injuries so still a bit of a punt, a full back who doesn’t add much going forward (so cheaper than either a centre back or an attacking full back) and has had half a season in the worst defence in the division. Nobody would pay more than 5mil realistically. Would we sell for that? Probably not worth it, but you’re only worth what people are willing to pay.

As for Lewis, definitely keep. Even the optimists among us must acknowledge we should have half an eye towards the championship next season. If we can keep Lewis and Aarons we have a great chance of coming straight back up. If we can’t keep Aarons, then Byram goes to right back and we need Lewis’ attacking threat down the left. Either way, Lewis will be a big player next year. if we stay up, he’s young and learning and will only get better.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Aggy said:

No chance anyone would spend 15 or 20 million on him. Had injuries so still a bit of a punt, a full back who doesn’t add much going forward (so cheaper than either a centre back or an attacking full back) and has had half a season in the worst defence in the division. Nobody would pay more than 5mil realistically. Would we sell for that? Probably not worth it, but you’re only worth what people are willing to pay.

You're probably right (he's quite a bit older than I thought he was), but he's performed pretty well - keep it up for a season and he'll be worth a lot more than £5m.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kirku said:

You're probably right (he's quite a bit older than I thought he was), but he's performed pretty well - keep it up for a season and he'll be worth a lot more than £5m.

I’m not sure he would be worth a lot more. Who in the prem would spend more than 10 mil on him for instance? I can’t see him being first choice in many other prem sides, and the only way you’d spend 10 mil + on a back up right back is if they’re 20 and got potential to be a 30-40 mil player in the future. 

Even a newly promoted team (where to be fair he might be good enough to start) - would they spend 10 mil on a right back in their first season up?

A solid squad player in the prem who a bottom half prem club would snap up if the deal was right imo. Which, to be honest, suits me as I could see him being a good player for us for perhaps the next five years or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Aggy said:

A solid squad player in the prem who a bottom half prem club would snap up if the deal was right imo. Which, to be honest, suits me as I could see him being a good player for us for perhaps the next five years or so.

Those tend to fetch around £10m these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×