Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Why was the performance so bad??

Bournemouth were appalling - no better than a very average Championship team - and we have should have won by 3 or 4, which we would have done if their keeper hadn't had a good day. Pukki, Buendia and Duda should all have scored quite easy chances.

Having said all that, the win was all that mattered. I wish Farke had brought on Hernandez against the 10 men to stretch their defence even more, because Byram didn't push on the left too much - unlike Aarons on the right, who was all over them.

Not sure what Godfrey was thinking, but at least he didn't do it in the penalty area, which would have been their only way of scoring.

There won't be any more games that easy to win - Burnley, West Ham, Southampton etc will be much better than that when they visit.

2 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

There won't be any more games that easy to win - Burnley, West Ham, Southampton etc will be much better than that when they visit.

Hopefully we will be too!

3 hours ago, Nono said:

My view is that opinion is not one of a true supporter. 

A draw a spurs, a win at Burnley, and results going our way, you still gonna be so flippin negative? 

We don't give up until we are down surely? 

Oh here we go someone voices an opinion and now they're not a true supporter. I've been supporting City 40 years so have quite a bit of experience with the ups and downs

PS Burnley away is a cup game, I thought a true supporter would have known that 😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

And if that happens I will laugh, Indy. People like Lakey getting torn apart over their positivity, for not being ‘realistic’ (as if that matters when following your team!), as if he should have no right to feel that way towards the team he backs to the hilt, despite only being 8 points from safety when others are falling apart and have to come to Carrow Rd too. A win at Spurs and other results going our way will make them start to question their ‘realism’, just you wait... 

Well for every point we get I’ve pledged £1 to the CFS to Nutty for this mini relegation league Lakey posted, so that’s £3 already, I still believe we have 5% chance of staying up, but I’d be happy to pay £30 if we got ten wins 👍😂

Edited by Indy

After going in at half time one up and against 10 men for the second half, the importance of the situation undoubtably hit home and, given our record of chucking leads away, the players were probably scared sh*tless that it might happen again.

I mean, this really was the last chance and the players knew it.

They became nervous and over cautious and we never really got going again like we had in the first half.

Completely understandable and not a surprise.

• Like 1

The result and most of the play was good. That doesn't stop it being disappointing. Its the fourth time I've used this word but we showboated second half. Bournemouth offered very little and we decided to keep ball just a bit too much.

I'm glad that some people enjoyed it but for me it was preety poor fare throughout. Yes, got to be happy with three points but a very patchy performance in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, Making Plans said:

After going in at half time one up and against 10 men for the second half, the importance of the situation undoubtably hit home and, given our record of chucking leads away, the players were probably scared sh*tless that it might happen again.

I mean, this really was the last chance and the players knew it.

They became nervous and over cautious and we never really got going again like we had in the first half.

Completely understandable and not a surprise.

It wasn't the prettiest performance, but we still played some fantastic stuff at times, particularly the skill from Cantwell, Buendia and Duda. I actually thought we did okay second half prior to the red card, and generated several excellent chances to finish the match off.

However, completely agree about the psychology of the situation; we still have a very inexperienced squad at this level, and given the fact we have failed to see out any of our previous half time leads, I don't think the belief and confidence that keeping a clean sheet and winning 1-0 will grant to the team should be underestimated.

Deep down, everyone was terrified. The nonchalance we displayed was superficial & was close to panic at times.

I've seen it so many times before, in both divisions. We play lovely stuff, proper stylish, attractive football, but the opposition can smell the fear & know we can snap like a dry reed at any moment.

In this game our fear was betrayed by the number of times we passed back rather than attack; there's nothing wrong with going into our own half to build again, but that wasn't the reason we were doing it, we were going for the 'safe' option which often proves to be the unsafe one - savvy PL players pounce, forcing us into errors or even intercepting the ball.

Somehow we've got to get real confidence & play without fear. A few wins on the bounce should do it ...

• Like 3

Worth noting that fear and pressure also reduced Bournemouth's two most potentially influential players - Billing and Wilson - to shadows of themselves.

Got to brave on Wednesday if at any time we take the lead. Spurs are devoid of confidence too at the moment and without Harry it’s a good time to play them. 

20 hours ago, ricardo said:

I'm glad that some people enjoyed it but for me it was preety poor fare throughout. Yes, got to be happy with three points but a very patchy performance in my opinion. 

That link shows exactly how dominant we were. In reality the only thing missing from the performance was not taking chances. We dominated start-to-finish. I imagine the nervousness in the crowd, of which there was a lot, has led to people judging the performance a bit unfairly.

It wasnt the most stylish display over the last 7/8 weeks but we got the win which is crucial - and there were some spells of great football.   However the second half was tense and ineffective unfortunately.

Our issue centred around recovering the ball; it is great having ball players deep to break through a press but we need  the ball to do that;  we do need to be more destructive in front of the back 4 to ease the pressure on them and our nerves - winning the ball back as they come forward.   Adding this capability now looks unlikely this season,  even if there are still 11 days left before the window closes - so we just need to land on the best pair to balance ball recovery & distribution from the just sub prem standard options we have there.   Tettey remains the strongest at this - so who partners him.  

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

That link shows exactly how dominant we were. In reality the only thing missing from the performance was not taking chances. We dominated start-to-finish. I imagine the nervousness in the crowd, of which there was a lot, has led to people judging the performance a bit unfairly.

I was watching the game on tv here in Australia and my opinion is the same as some at the game. I disagree we dominated from start to finish. First half definitely but second half we were extremely patchy and nervous.

58 minutes ago, Fred Flintstone said:

It’s about points now what we need is a bit of Chris Hughton tactical awareness from Farke and less of the gung-ho attacking football like headless chickens 

Hiya wavey

• Haha 1

On 19/01/2020 at 16:29, ricardo said:

My view also. Two poor teams befitting their league positions.