Sign in to follow this  
Overrated, over paid

Players - Ratings Season to Date

It's 19 Jan and I was chatting to a friend who asked me to rate the regular playing squad so far this season. Here are my scores:

Tim Krul - 8

I feared Tim would be a disaster in the EPL but he's been solid and showed great passion and real leadership! 

Aarons - 5

Huge potential, super fast but largely little end product. His decision making needs to improve at both ends of the pitch.

Byram - 6

I like this lad and his energy and defensive work is mostly v good. He's missed some sitters though! 

Zimmerman - 5 

A big lad with a big personality, always up for the fight! I do feel he's prone to diving in too often and every time I watch him I fear he'll fell a player in our box.

Hanley - 3

See Zimmerman but less mobile. Not EPL level

Godfrey - 8

Solid player, mobile, can play, excellent the majority of the time and getting stronger as . the season progresses. 

Emi - 8

Love this guy, a real talent and one to watch. Unlucky not to have had a few goals to his name especially today!

Todd - 9

What a season, huge energy, his range of passing is superb and he's a scrapper too! His goals have also been huge this season. For me the

surprise of the season and someone who we'll be fortunate to hang on to.

Onel - 6

Great lad and a good outlet for us. Can be sublime and awful even in the same game. Like Aarons needs to make better decisions with his final ball.

McClean - 6

I like the lad, has a directness to his game and would like to see more of him

Pukki - 8

Super guy, great talent and works his socks off. 10 goals is a good return in this team. Would LOVE to see him double that before the end of the season. 

Tettey - 6

Amazed he's featured so much. Still combative, a popular character but the EPL is possibly past him now

Trybull - 6

Not consistent enough, needs greater mobility, rarely gives the ball away but question marks over his overall contribution. 

Thoughts> OTBC

Jeeesus...a tad Harsh. Hanley 3, while it mostly unanimous he's been better than Zim since his return. Aarons up and down the pitch today contributing, and Tettey has been solid in each and every game. Yikes.

• Like 1

You're there or thereabouts for most of them, although I disagree on three or four. This would be mine, using 6 for average (which no doubt means everyone will moan that my marks are too low):

Krul 7: One of our top performers and has kept a lot of scorelines respectable. Leads by example.

Aarons 6: Has showed the promise that he has and looks dangerous going forward but has been caught out defensively a few times.

Byram 6.5: Considering he was brought in as a backup, he has taken his chance well.

Zimmermann 5.5: Phenomenal against Everton on his return from injury but hasn't yet fully convinced me that he can make it as a regular Premier League player.

Hanley 5: Has had the odd good game, but is no more than a backup at this level.

Godfrey 6: Similar to Aarons in that he has shown promise but has made a few errors through inexperience.

Lewis 5.5: Started off OK but lost confidence and then his place in the team. I have faith that he'll come good though.

Tettey 6: He's still the best defensive midfielder we have and has acquitted himself as well as he can.

Trybull 5: A couple of good games but more bad than good. Isn't up to it at this level I fear. Not destructive enough out of possession and not creative enough with it.

Leitner 5.5: He's neat and tidy and passes the ball well but lacks substance.

Amadou 5.5: Jeckyl and Hyde. Has put in some fantastic performances but some shockers too. Needs to work on his consistency but hasn't been given a run in his natural position.

Vrancic 6: Not a lot to go on but he's done OK. A slightly more useful version of Leitner.

McLean 5.5: Looked better as a number ten and always works hard but like many others here, probably doesn't quite have enough to hold down a regular place in a Premier League team.

Stiepermann 4.5: Simply hasn't made the step up.

Buendia 7: Started off brightly, had a massive dip from mid-September until early December but has come back strongly and looks the part when on song.

Cantwell 8: Probably the best of the bunch in terms of what he has produced relative to expectations. Stepped up in a way that nobody expected to and I'm absolutely chuffed for him.

Hernandez 6: Has shown that he has a part to play with his direct running that worries opponents but hasn't been consistent enough.

Pukki 7.5: Continued his form from last season into this. Excellent off the ball and a fantastic finisher.

Drmic 5: Injured a lot but has offered precious little when called upon.

Farke 5: His work developing players on the training pitch is his specialty, but his ability to organise a defence, his game management and poor use of substitutions has counted against him too often. I'm still a big fan but his stock has fallen slightly I feel.

• Like 1

I promise you that every good judge inside the game and inside the club has always known exactly how good Todd Cantwell is likely to become. When total dedication and determination combines with God-given ability, it takes a lot of stopping. And don't forget he effectively lost a year of his development.

Having said all that, Emi Buendia shaded it as the best player out there vs Bournemouth.

Krul 7

Aarons 6

Lewis 6

Byram 6

Zimm 6

Hanley 5 

Godfrey 6

Tettey 6

Trybull 6

Amadou 5

Leitner 5

McLean 6 

Cantwell 7

Emi 6

Onel 5

Stiepermann 5

Roberts 4

Pukki 7 

Drmic 5

Idah 6 

Srbeny 5

For me, injuries robbed us of our momentum, our inexperience and lack of Premier League ability has largely prevented us getting it back and a squad of potentially talented players led by an inexperienced manager are trying their best in the face of what has been a bad summer of transfers and the use of VAR which, this time last season, would have made our position vastly more comfortable. 

I want to mention Hanley who has persistently got slated. He would not have been anywhere near this side but for injuries and given how little he played last season has done his best, despite Championship clearly being his level. 

• Like 1

Yep think I’m close to Wacky and TY in respect of a few - Godfrey for me hasn’t been and 8, Buendia probably a 7 and a Cantwell maybe 7.5-8. I was chatting to a Man Utd fan yesterday about Cantwell and he thought Cantwell seemed a little bit of a luxury player for a club in a relegation battle in that he seems to sometimes not do much, but then can have big moments of impact - a view I think is probably not too unfair. 

5 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Krul 7

Aarons 6

Lewis 6

Byram 6

Zimm 6

Hanley 5 

Godfrey 6

Tettey 6

Trybull 6

Amadou 5

Leitner 5

McLean 6 

Cantwell 7

Emi 6

Onel 5

Stiepermann 5

Roberts 4

Pukki 7 

Drmic 5

Idah 6 

Srbeny 5

For me, injuries robbed us of our momentum, our inexperience and lack of Premier League ability has largely prevented us getting it back and a squad of potentially talented players led by an inexperienced manager are trying their best in the face of what has been a bad summer of transfers and the use of VAR which, this time last season, would have made our position vastly more comfortable. 

I want to mention Hanley who has persistently got slated. He would not have been anywhere near this side but for injuries and given how little he played last season has done his best, despite Championship clearly being his level. 

Idah and Trybull as good as Emi? Really?

5 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Idah and Trybull as good as Emi? Really?

Yes. I anticipate if Emi continues in this form he'll eventually earn a 7. But he lost points for a slow start.

21 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Yes. I anticipate if Emi continues in this form he'll eventually earn a 7. But he lost points for a slow start.

3mkysc.jpg

I cannot agree about Emi. He is the outstanding player at the club and only De Bruyne has better stats for a midfield player in the EPL. And Krul is not far behind him for POTS so far, IMO.

• Like 1

Krul 9

Aarons 7

Godfrey 7

Zimmerman 6

Hanley 7

Lewis 8

Byram 9

Trybull 6

Vrancic 7

Tettey 8

Mclean 7