Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Out of Control? Yes! - Off the Ground? Yes!

Played the ball? No!

Made contact with the opposition player with force? Yes!

Reviewed by VAR? Not a f*****g chance!

I'm talking of course about Sebastien Haller's foul on Christoph Zimmermann in the West Ham v Norwich game earlier this season. A foul which led to West Ham taking the lead while Zimmermann was still injured and Zimmermann being ruled out injured for 11 weeks. 

I've got no issue with Ben Godfrey's red card today, but it's the lack of consistency (always to our disadvantage) which makes my blood boil. 

• Like 8

It's changed plenty. It's introduced delay, it's increased confusion, particularly to those in the ground, it's diminished the authority of the officials on the park and its replaced that wonderful moment of elation when your team scores with one of half hearted celebration just in case it's ruled out.

It hasn't stopped controversial moments though because football is a game of opinions. One persons red card is another persons yellow. One persons penalty is another persons attacker looking for a foul.

it might have corrected some ludicrously marginal off sides but is that worth all this disruption? Not on your Nelly.

Edited by Hairy Canary
  • Like 1

At last . A sensible VAR post. 

We all want decisions to be correct. 

By introducing 4 automatic referrals PGMOL have made something that should be good, an inconsistent nonsense. 

Today , Beundia is booked . He is shown a yellow. Later Godfrey is booked . Also shown a yellow. So what actually happened between the Ref , Stockley Park and one Of them being overturned ? I’m certainly not suggesting that Buendia should have gone , but I don’t understand why the ref visibly reviews one and not the other ? It must be under direction from SP? 

The tackle at West Ham was a game changing , reckless, player safety threatening, tackle. From memory wasn’t even a yellow ? Why didn’t SP get in the ear of the ref ? They obviously did today? 

15 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

At last . A sensible VAR post. 

We all want decisions to be correct. 

By introducing 4 automatic referrals PGMOL have made something that should be good, an inconsistent nonsense. 

Today , Beundia is booked . He is shown a yellow. Later Godfrey is booked . Also shown a yellow. So what actually happened between the Ref , Stockley Park and one Of them being overturned ? I’m certainly not suggesting that Buendia should have gone , but I don’t understand why the ref visibly reviews one and not the other ? It must be under direction from SP? 

The tackle at West Ham was a game changing , reckless, player safety threatening, tackle. From memory wasn’t even a yellow ? Why didn’t SP get in the ear of the ref ? They obviously did today? 

Wasn't even given as a free kick!!!!!!!!!!!  So to be technically correct I suppose I should have been talking about Sebastien Haller's 'challenge'. 

Edited by Thirsty Lizard

2 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Played the ball? No!

I'm talking of course about Sebastien Haller's foul on Christoph Zimmermann in the West Ham v Norwich game earlier this season. A foul which led to West Ham taking the lead while Zimmermann was still injured and Zimmermann being ruled out injured for 11 weeks. 

I've got no issue with Ben Godfrey's red card today, but it's the lack of consistency (always to our disadvantage) which makes my blood boil. 

100% agree.. it's the inconsistency and random nature of VAR that makes it a bad thing for our game.

18 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Played the ball? No!

We’ve been done by it that many times this season, I wouldn’t worry about it, no one else seems to care

I wonder how many people are now involved in these checks. Could it be that this was reviewed because the 4th official was near and handy,?

VAR is a crock of 5hit that seems to involve more human intervention every week.

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

I wonder how many people are now involved in these checks. Could it be that this was reviewed because the 4th official was near and handy,?

VAR is a crock of 5hit that seems to involve more human intervention every week.

On the flip side Nutty, has he given a straight red on field but the fourth official reviews and tells the ref to take another look to down grade it to yellow......I don’t have an issue for this type of event for VAR but I do for offside, daft handballs and other annoying fussy ****e that has been going on, this is what I expected VAR to be used for and reviewing by the on field ref.

9 minutes ago, Indy said:

On the flip side Nutty, has he given a straight red on field but the fourth official reviews and tells the ref to take another look to down grade it to yellow......I don’t have an issue for this type of event for VAR but I do for offside, daft handballs and other annoying fussy ****e that has been going on, this is what I expected VAR to be used for and reviewing by the on field ref.

Yes but that's not the point. If what you're saying is correct then the laws of the game are applied differently depending on what area of the pitch the offense takes place.

I have no issue with the red card. My issue over how it came about.

15 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Yes but that's not the point. If what you're saying is correct then the laws of the game are applied differently depending on what area of the pitch the offense takes place.

I have no issue with the red card. My issue over how it came about.

OK sorry nutty, I hate VAR as it’s been used for the premiership, the offside and accidental handball goals disallowed are farcical, if it’s accidental hand ball attacking leading to a goal it’s a free kick if it’s and accidental hand ball defending it’s not!

I was wondering what the VAR rule for a yellow card was. Are they all to be reviewed? Or is it to be reviewed if someone else interferes? Or is it something like every third one is reviewed? Or is it if the offense takes place near the dugout it's reviewed? Does anyone know this rule?

Same tackle by Burnley today but less connection. Ref gives a foul, so acknowledges infringement but only speaks to player. So it has to be a hurtful, squealers contact before it becomes a red card? As I said earlier in the topic, VAR has added nothing to the level of consistency, which is what it was mainly meant to do.