Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Bournemouth

I decided to revert to the old scarf today in the hope that after a rest over Xmas it had regained it's magic properties. The initial signs were good for it was a nice bright winter day and the conditions underfoot seemed made for a decent game of football. It looked like Farke had gone for a back three with Godfrey restored to the line up and a first outing for Duda just behind Pukki.

Both teams looked nervous from the off as the opening exchanges were littered with mistakes. The Cherries were the first to cause a moment of danger when Wilson glanced a header from a left wing cross straight at Krul. Back up at our end City buzzed about a bit with plenty of possession but could not work an opening. Duda immediately impressed me with some astute first time passes but after a promising build up the final ball into the box lacked quality. We have seen some inspiring stuff at CR in recent weeks but City didn't seem to be quite at it today.

Thankfully Bournemouth looked as poor as anything we have seen at Carrow Rd this season but City were still finding it hard to put any sustained attacking threat together. Indeed we were past halfway before Duda's low ball sent Aarons clear on the City right. There was a good cross and plenty in the box but Buendia's header went a yard wide. There were a couple of blocked efforts as City tried to up the ante but generally there was little real goalmouth action at either end.

On the half hour a nice through ball set Pukki away between two defenders. Ramsdale was quick off his line to block but the rebound fell kindly for Duda about twenty yards out. His curling shot was destined for the top corner only for Cook to fly across to his left and tip the ball onto the post and away. It would have been a fabulous save had he been the keeper, but for him it was the walk of shame and that rare thing for City, a Premier League penalty. Even then, we had to wait a couple of minutes for a man two hundred miles away to agree with what was patently obvious to everyone in the ground. This sort of thing must put extra pressure on the taker but Pukki stepped up confidently to rifle the ball high into the net.

With eleven against ten it should have been plain sailing but the home side spent much of the remainder of the half with lots of possession but very little penetration. Tetty had a couple of long range sighters, one went a couple of yards wide of Ramsdales right post while the other finished high wide and not very handsome up in the River End stand. It was nice to be in front at the half but it had been mostly uninspiring stuff and surely it could only improve for the second forty five.

City tried to crack on with Aarons making a foray down the right and Buendia beginning to look more and more influential but apart from the odd corner there was little to get excited about. Meanwhile Bournemouth began to get up a head of steam and twice balls flashed across the City box without anyone getting a touch. Just after the hour the visitors could have been level had not Wilson made a complete hash of a chance from six yards out.

Finally City seemed to get the message and with just over twenty minutes left Pukki did everything right when latching onto Buendia's lovely through ball. He would net nine out of ten of those chances but somehow Ramsdale blocked it. Then it was Duda's turn from about twelve yards but again the visitors keeper was equal to it. Buendia then decided to do it all on his own and dragged the ball past several defenders before having his effort blocked.

With less than fifteen minutes left VAR made another unwelcome appearance when Godfrey was red carded for a late tackle. I didn't look any worse than many that had recieved yellows but there you go, once it came up on the screen we all knew what the result would be. City brought on Hanley for Duda, Drmic for Pukki and late on Rupp for Pukki. Those last ten minutes were untidy and nervous stuff with little in the way of chances but I think most of us just wanted the whistle to blow and it was a relief when it finally did.

It was a nice change to come away with the points but as a spectacle it was a load of old tosh and I think most would agree it was the poorest display of the season by a fair margin. MOM Buendia who again looked different class with a mention for Duda who made a promising debut. My old scarf also gets a mention for regaining some of its former luckiness.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

31 minutes ago, ricardo said:

It was a nice change to come away with the points but as a spectacle it was a load of old tosh and I think most would agree it was the poorest display of the season by a fair margin. MOM Buendia who again looked different class with a mention for Duda who made a promising debut. My old scarf also gets a mention for regaining some of its former luckiness.

Love your report as always Ricardo, but not sure about that statement - surely Villa at home was lots worse? 

3 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Love your report as always Ricardo, but not sure about that statement - surely Villa at home was lots worse? 

You may be right there.

Thought Cantwell was Man of the Match   2 teams that will meet again next season in TC

2 minutes ago, daly said:

2 teams that will meet again next season in TC

Almost certainly.

I think Farke missed an opportunity today when they went down to 10 men because he could have tried leaving one man on the halfway line when they had corners, long throws and free kicks. There was yet another corner today where we had all 10 back and they won the header. Just once I would like him to try it and see if it gives the defenders a better chance to clear the ball.

Normally agree totally with you Ricardo but that wasn't our worst performance by any means. Both Villa and Watford were worse IMO. I was pleased with a lot of our play but it did amount to showboating. There was no standing on the throat of the bloke you've just dropped to the floor. It was more like you would give him time to recover before you started throwing punches again. And that let them stay in the game and we had to endure that awful 15 minute period. We have to get a bit more nous when that happens. Yes we know they can play but we would like to see goals as well.

Buendia has to be one of the most skillful players ever to wear the shirt. Easily MOTM.

Buendia would / will be a great player once he starts scoring in the PL. At the moment he certainly excites, and I’m so glad we have him, but the fact is his corners and free kicks are not producing any results. On the latter he at least has to hit the target or maybe McLean / Vrancic should be encouraged to have a go. 

His assists are excellent, but there is more to come still - and for us I hope. 

Fortunately I whined In a similar manner about Cantwell earlier this season and since then he’s subsequently scored 6 goals. So Emi I will keep whining until you also prove me wrong 🙂 

I agree with Ricardo. The worst performance of the season against very poor opponents. It will be argued that it was all about obtaining the three points but we really were grim. As usual we stuck to the slow laboured build up and apart from Pukki's spurned second chance we really never looked like scoring. Once again having taken the lead we never upped our game but just retained possession coupled with a fair number of misplaced passes but on this occasion - got away with it. You would never have thought we played most of the game against ten men. Hope I am wrong, but just cannot see us surviving, particularly based on today's display.

• Like 1

I'm not sure we were as bad overall as some have suggested. Pukki, Emi and Duda each missed a very good chance and in reality we should have been home and dry before Godfrey got sent off. The fact we didn't score them is another matter - something that has cost us a huge number of points this season, and particularly recently. 

Games against 10 men can often feel frustrating as often the best practice when defending a lead with an extra man is to patiently keep the ball. I think we were pretty professional (if a bit boring) in our game management until the red card. 

Emi was my motm, but I was also impressed with Tettey, McClean and Cantwell for their shifts.

Special mention to Duda who looked like the competition Steipermann has needed all season - a shame we couldn't have had him over Roberts from the start. 

Edited by HertsCanary93

Thanks Ricardo, but Villa home was worse... I can't see any of the two teams staying in the PL , although I give us more chance than Bournemouth,  they were terrible!!! Cantwell was class, but Duda my MoM...on debut he was impressive 

Edited by ROBFLECK

1 hour ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Cheers Ricardo, my only card in all the years i played local football was a straight red for a better save than the one made by Steve Cook.......

Did they have cards back then SOB?🙃

• Like 1

Thanks Ricardo. I didn't think that the performance was that bad - we created some very good chances and we should really have scored at least one more.

Whenever the opposition goes down to 10 men at CR it always raises expectations of a dominant performance but they are rarely met!

13 hours ago, Surfer said:

Buendia would / will be a great player once he starts scoring in the PL. At the moment he certainly excites, and I’m so glad we have him, but the fact is his corners and free kicks are not producing any results. On the latter he at least has to hit the target or maybe McLean / Vrancic should be encouraged to have a go. 

His assists are excellent, but there is more to come still - and for us I hope. 

Fortunately I whined In a similar manner about Cantwell earlier this season and since then he’s subsequently scored 6 goals. So Emi I will keep whining until you also prove me wrong 🙂 

I agree with this and add that I think he gets too greedy at times and runs down blind and blocked alleys rather than passing the ball. Late in the game he was too busy arguing with the ref rather than joining in trying to defend from the front. A great player but has some obvious deficiencies.

13 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Did they have cards back then SOB?🙃

I was trying to make it easier for the younger readers, I was sent off, no red card was brandished and I apologised to the ref for my actions. Up until then I had never been booked, never had cause for a ref to speak to me despite being a full back or midfielder who got stuck in........

12 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I was trying to make it easier for the younger readers, I was sent off, no red card was brandished and I apologised to the ref for my actions. Up until then I had never been booked, never had cause for a ref to speak to me despite being a full back or midfielder who got stuck in........

Couldn't remember when the cards first came in so I looked it up and they were first used in the 1970 world cup! However not made mandatory at all levels until 1992.

I don't make things easier for younger readers and still listen to the wireless🙃