Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

VAR...again

2 hours ago, Wilson said:

Just watched the game again on MOTD.

Why is the referees var monitor placed in the away teams seating area?

They are able to influence the referee.

The guy in the picture clearly gives his opinion in the refs ear.

31AB2019-97E8-45B6-815A-B373623B8140.jpeg

Thank you for putting this picture up, Wilson - this was exactly what I was getting at. This member of the Bournemouth backroom staff was right next to the ref and had far too much to say. 

Edit - he could actually watch the monitor as well, it should be pointed out (Jason Statham wannabe, not the ref)

Edited by Alex Moss
  • Like 1

I think we need to get over this VAR thing. It’s here and here to stay. Yesterday it was spot on and that’s what we want from the decisions isn’t it!

It won’t be scrapped I can assure you of that and if improvements like the Godfrey situation continue then you have to say at least the powers that be take the suggestion of fans, pundits ect in to account.

VAR is not responsible for us being bottom of the league. Not being good enough is!

1 minute ago, Hardhouse44 said:

VAR is not responsible for us being bottom of the league. Not being good enough is!

Actually, the league table without VAR decisions for all teams showed we’d be 4th from bottom, so you might be wrong.

I’m afraid that people are not fully understanding the points being made . 

VAR was brought in to offer referees a chance to use other angles in addition to the ones they viewed the incident . When the system was initially trialed , all over the world , the system proactively watched the whole match and communicated with the ref. 

As the system was refined and it evolved there were aspects where it was impractical to check. Don’t forget that almost by definition the word “check” could be replaced by overruled. Why would VAR ask a ref to check a decision that appeared correct? So VAR did not check throwins , restart placements and immaterial infringements. However they did still check build up to goals, which included the whole move (obviously this alone was open to interpretation)

After further refinement , we saw the implementation in the World Cup. The game WAS CONTINUALLY MONITORED and refs were asked to check decisions where VAR had decided doubt existed aka the ref got it wrong. 

PGMOL wouldn’t agree to this. They said that four decisions would be automatically reviewed. One of those decision is a “Red Card” . But in the case of Godfrey it wasn’t a red card . It was a yellow . So why was it reviewed? Answer ... because VAR told the ref to. Against their own protocol . Are they now saying that they are continually reviewing the game and not the four auto decisions ? 

Against Sheff Utd it WAS AUTOMATICALLY REVIEWED because it Was a red. 

This is my point . 

Now contrast that with Beundia. A yellow . Not auto reviewed. Against West Ham not auto reviewed (not even a free kick) 

I hope I am making my point clear. Not saying it shouldn’t have been a red. Not saying Buendia should have been. I’m saying why was it reviewed when it wasn’t in their auto review protocol? 

pitch side screens (I am in full agreement of their use if nothing else to give the fans some idea what is happening ) are a red herring.

Just now, Alex Moss said:

Actually, the league table without VAR decisions for all teams showed we’d be 4th from bottom, so you might be wrong.

That’s assuming that teams wouldn’t change things raise their game ect. Ifs buts and maybes. Teams take a lead and defend. If the VAR hadn’t have awarded them a goal say or had awarded us one the teams may well have upped there game brought on different sub and still scored enough to beat us. It’s all pie in the sky and an excuse not to face up to reality. We’ve not got the squad to stay in this league!

14 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Actually it was the referee who got the decisions right. VAR didn't overturn anything because of some silly decision by someone else.

In the QPR v Leeds game, QPR's goal would have been overturned by VAR. But they carried on and apart from the silly commentator, it didn't become an issue. Leeds had their chances, including a controversial penalty and missed them. So they cannot blame the officials why they eventually lost.

I saw that incident but there was no deliberate handball so the correct decision was a goal. VAR is not the problem but stupid officials changing rules on handball etc without considering pretty obvious potential adverse consequences. This handball rule will be changed IMO as it clearly is ridiculous.

1 minute ago, Hardhouse44 said:

That’s assuming that teams wouldn’t change things raise their game ect. Ifs buts and maybes. Teams take a lead and defend. If the VAR hadn’t have awarded them a goal say or had awarded us one the teams may well have upped there game brought on different sub and still scored enough to beat us. It’s all pie in the sky and an excuse not to face up to reality. We’ve not got the squad to stay in this league!

Eh, that’s assuming, without VAR, we didn’t make changes and go on to win the game too?!

I disagree about our squad, and I won’t be changing my tune later on should we be relegated. I think we’d be doing far better points wise had we had Klose and Zimbo for most of the season, plus other key players. We have a good squad of players, and in several positions amongst some of the hottest young talents in the English game. 

• Like 1

So, VAR is generally not working. Or at least as well as it should be.

But there are so many other things wrong with decisions being made/not made.

Buendia yesterday got a yellow for - what looked from where I sat - a legitimate attempt to play a high ball. Did he catch the opponent? I can't say, but for goodness sake he certainly appeared he was trying to play the ball, and as one fine local official used to say, the ability to recognise intent is key. If the Ref felt it was dangerous, and wanted to give a free kick fine, but it certainly did not merit a yellow card. Which then brings me nicely onto the next point, pretending to be injured/fouled.

Right on the stroke of halftime one of the Bournemouth players is chasing a ball when a puff of wind appears to make him fall theatrically on the ball, cue the Ref to give him a free kick. Laughable, in fact I don't know why some of these players are not completely embarrassed by their own antics/cheating. We see this so many times in games - the tactical injury, let's get someone on to look at a non-injury to break up play when we are under the cosh. Referees/ the powers that be have got to do more to stamp this out.

Timekeeping... We are not getting our full share of the game. The full amount of time taken for VAR is not being added on, and  when you take into account time lost for substitutions (it used to be 30 seconds per sub), injuries and general time wasting. the 5 minutes was not enough. It used to be that the ref would tell the fourth official how much time to display - I don't know if this has changed - but why not let the fourth official monitor it? 

Selective use of cards by officials...Callum Wilson was lucky to still be on the pitch by the time Godfrey fouled him. In the first half Wilson clearly had a tight hold of Godfrey's shirt causing both players to go over (although I will concede that by the time they both hit the deck it was probably 50/50 in the shirt pulling stakes), but Wilson was the first (and main) culprit. Unbelievably the free kick went against us - I'm still not quite sure how that happened. There was a couple of other incidents Wilson got tangled up in, and to crown it all his verbal tirade against the linesman should have had a yellow card attached to it. Defending your fellow officials should be top of the refs list. having been lucky with that decision Wilson then unbelievably carried on giving the lino some stick.

So, as well as VAR I feel there are several other things that Referees need to sort out to achieve more consistency.

Edited by First Wazzock
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Eh, that’s assuming, without VAR, we didn’t make changes and go on to win the game too?!

I disagree about our squad, and I won’t be changing my tune later on should we be relegated. I think we’d be doing far better points wise had we had Klose and Zimbo for most of the season, plus other key players. We have a good squad of players, and in several positions amongst some of the hottest young talents in the English game. 

Well as long as you’re happy. But the very statement itself if we had the players proves as I say we don’t have the “squad” to stay in this league.

VAR, injures the fact that the moon is in Uranus. It’s all blinkered hero worshiping but we are naive tactically we don’t score from enough of our chances we don’t have the ability to chase a game. There are many reasons we are going down. 

reality is we don’t have a squad of players good enough. The league table shows that clearly and although I’d love to be wrong I will bet you any money you like we will be relegated because of it.  

1 hour ago, Hardhouse44 said:

reality is we don’t have a squad of players good enough. The league table shows that clearly and although I’d love to be wrong I will bet you any money you like we will be relegated because of it.  

I hope you are wrong too. The reality is the season isn't over and although we are bottom of the table now, there is opportunity to improve that position - and we can win games, so whether the squad is good enough over the whole season remains to be seen.  It has been added to this week and both players featured in the win yesterday, so it is not cut and dried.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

I hope you are wrong too. The reality is the season isn't over and although we are bottom of the table now, there is opportunity to improve that position - and we can win games, so whether the squad is good enough over the whole season remains to be seen.  It has been added to this week and both players featured in the win yesterday, so it is not cut and dried.

Didn’t see enough of the other guy. However Duda looked very accomplished. But I’d be amazed if we take anything from the next two games and by then momentum will be lost again and it’s all too little too late. 

2 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Didn’t see enough of the other guy. However Duda looked very accomplished. But I’d be amazed if we take anything from the next two games and by then momentum will be lost again and it’s all too little too late. 

Have a feeling we might nick a 1-1 at a Spurs, they’re struggling for goals and we can certainly get one, just hop we can keep it tight at the back without Godfrey.