Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Godfrey

9 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Did he repeat this sentiment after the Godfrey dismissal? Ben’s only out for 2 league games, and Farke is privy to knowledge that we aren’t regarding Klose - he could well be back sooner than we think. I am very much of the opinion that Timm is the best CB we have, and crucially, offers something our CB’s are not renowned for this season - the aerial ability to defend a set piece whilst also offering a goal threat at the other end. Have always thought that, weirdly, he is far more suited to Premier League football than Championship.

As it happens, the dismissal might not be a bad thing. This maybe controversial, but in all honesty, as good as Ben is (and what a prospect he is, no doubt), I thought we actually looked slightly shakier at the back again with Hanley benched. Bar the Man Utd game, we’ve not been battered for a long time since Hanley and Zimbo started playing together. Maybe that’s no coincidence?

Hanley has played pretty well recently. No worse than Ben. 

6 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

Exactly what I’m saying, Hoola - I think we look more solid with a Zimbo/Hanley pairing. With Ben’s suspension and Famewo out on loan, I’m concerned we’ll have no choice but to play both Zimbo/Hanley in the cup at Burnley.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Exactly what I’m saying, Hoola - I think we look more solid with a Zimbo/Hanley pairing. With Ben’s suspension and Famewo out on loan, I’m concerned we’ll have no choice but to play both Zimbo/Hanley in the cup at Burnley.

I reckon it will be Zimbo and Amadou at Burnley Alex. Hopefully all three get through the three games safe and sound.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I reckon it will be Zimbo and Amadou at Burnley Alex. Hopefully all three get through the three games safe and sound.

Good point, Eddie! I’d forgotten about Amadou! Still wonder what he’d be like starting in his preferred position, but we may well find out against Spurs on Wednesday as Tetts pulled up a bit sharp right at the death against the Cherries.

31 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I can't agree that we've looked better without Godfrey.

We don't win many games that Hanley starts,  I think only 2 this and last season.

Hopefully Farke will reconsider and bring in another central defender.

With all our midfield players, perhaps we could loan out Stieps to create a place.

1 minute ago, curious yellow said:

I can't agree that we've looked better without Godfrey.

We don't win many games that Hanley starts,  I think only 2 this and last season.

Hopefully Farke will reconsider and bring in another central defender.

With all our midfield players, perhaps we could loan out Stieps to create a place.

Have we won many games with Godfrey starting then? We look more solid at the back with Zimbo and Hanley, just my opinion but from what I’ve seen the at 6’s and 7’s and nervous play around the box had largely disappeared since Hanley came back in. It may have been the occasion but I felt that was back on show again yesterday at times. I don’t think that’s coincidence, and I mean that with the greatest of respect to Ben, because as I say, I think he’ll go on to be one of the Prem’s best central defenders in time.

Hanley coming in has looked better recently but I think it’s just false in reality, we’re still conceding more than two gaols a game with him there and I might be wrong but don’t think we’ve won with Hanley starting this season, have we?

Ben is raw but is far more mobile reads the game better and can get back to block, Hanley does a job.

Byram & Tettey have made the defence look better than they were, but for me Zimbo and Godfrey are better all round defenders with a good understanding with each other. Would like to see Lewis learn from Byram how to defend but we lack Lewis pace and delivery going forward with Byram.

Edited by Indy

6 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Man United aside ...the goals we've let in over the previous couple of months from open play have actually been quite minimal....a coincidence that this has coincided with Godfrey's injury???!?

It didn't! We kept a clean sheet at Everton when Godfrey was playing and conceded only one at Leicester (and that wasn't from open play) and Godfrey played in both those games. And we kept a clean sheet yesterday with Godfrey playing most of the game. 

I think it's got far more to do with Zimmermann coming back in since the Everton game. 

• Like 1

Pace, athleticism and quick reactions count for so much in football. The reason Godfrey will go to a top club for a lot of money is that he has those in spades as well as being a technically gifted player. Hanley and to a lesser extent Zimm don't. Often an amazing block or tackle from those two will only happen because they were half a yard behind in the first place. Godfrey would probably have comfortably got to the ball first and dealt with the situation. Most of his errors have been being done by clever movement from top strikers, which unfortunately comes with the territory for a young defender. Once he's learned to anticipate those little tricks he'll be a full international player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Would like to see Lewis learn from Byram how to defend but we lack Lewis pace and delivery going forward with Byram.

I'm beginning to think that both Lewis and Byram have been told to be less adventurous, as has Aarons on the opposite side.

Last season they provided a real attacking threat and gave us more width in the process, since then they appear to have been told to be more cautious, not push up as much, and as a result we often find Cantwell and Buendia more central, with no real outlet on the wings - unless Hernandez has been brought on.

Byram can certainly attack more than he has, as can Aarons and Lewis, but if they are following instructions from Farke, it's hard to criticise them for doing as the manager asks.

I'm not convinced we look any more sound defensively with them being more withdrawn, and would argue that the extra men and attacking threat they can pose, it's a better trade-off than the current status quo.

Yes I’ve noticed that too, but the quality of opponents is better so that might have something to do with it. But you’re right.

On 19/01/2020 at 10:49, shefcanary said:

Come on, we all know why he made that challenge!  Wilson had been at him all game and was winding him up good and proper.  Ben lost it, forgot about VAR and thought he could land one on Wilson in a relatively innocuous part of the field, in front of their bench, to make a statement!  Fine in the Chumps and below, Ben's only problem was the change in the application of VAR.  Lesson learnt and another fortnight to get his focus back.

Another game where Godfrey gets taken for a walk by the opposition striker, yes he is a physical lad, but his positioning is shocking, gets done so often trying to nick the ball, missing it and then getting pinned by the striker, week in week out. This generally gets ignored because people go mad about his passing, rather have my defender defending first then worrying about passing range after. 

I think Hanley has looked decent the last few games, a proper no nonsense defender.  

20 hours ago, Mr.Carrow said:

Pace, athleticism and quick reactions count for so much in football. The reason Godfrey will go to a top club for a lot of money is that he has those in spades as well as being a technically gifted player. Hanley and to a lesser extent Zimm don't. Often an amazing block or tackle from those two will only happen because they were half a yard behind in the first place. Godfrey would probably have comfortably got to the ball first and dealt with the situation. Most of his errors have been being done by clever movement from top strikers, which unfortunately comes with the territory for a young defender. Once he's learned to anticipate those little tricks he'll be a full international player.

100% garbage 

21 hours ago, Canary dwarf said:

Bad challenge ,deserved red,Wilson's scream was well funny.

Wilson was being a pain in the backside all game, moaning to the ref, flicking out at Krul and IMO was lucky not to have been carded well before he got his yellow. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Wilson was being a pain in the backside all game, moaning to the ref, flicking out at Krul and IMO was lucky not to have been carded well before he got his yellow. 

Also kicked the ball away twice after the whistle. 

On 19/01/2020 at 11:59, lake district canary said:

It was a rash challenge in the heat of the moment from an excellent young player doing great things most of the time but still learning.

We need to get over it and move on.

I agree , problem is we don't have back up of the same quality....

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Totally agree, he could and should have been booked in the first half - kicked the ball away, verbally abused the linesman and the flick out at Krul.

Poor tackle from Godfrey.  With VAR, any tackle of that sort will look worse when it is reviewed three or four times.

2 minutes ago, ROBFLECK said:
On 19/01/2020 at 10:59, lake district canary said:

It was a rash challenge in the heat of the moment from an excellent young player doing great things most of the time but still learning.

We need to get over it and move on.

I agree , problem is we don't have back up of the same quality....

Yes, it was disappointing given the matches coming up, but Hanley may surpise us - I thought he had been good recently too.

21 minutes ago, urdie_Canary said:

Another game where Godfrey gets taken for a walk by the opposition striker, yes he is a physical lad, but his positioning is shocking, gets done so often trying to nick the ball, missing it and then getting pinned by the striker, week in week out. This generally gets ignored because people go mad about his passing, rather have my defender defending first then worrying about passing range after. 

I think Hanley has looked decent the last few games, a proper no nonsense defender.  

Your manic determination to attack Godfrey at every turn is weird to say the least - and makes it look like you've got an agenda.

We kept a clean sheet on Saturday in case you didn't notice. Look at these highlights. Who is it who makes a great goal saving challenge at 3.30? 

There’s a reason we have won games and kept clean sheets with Zimbo/Godfrey, they’re the best two defenders we have, clogger Hanley and sick note have be replaced with the same type of dynamic footballing CB, not as someone posted above a no nonsense centre back.

It was a poor tackle but youngsters learn and move on.

22 hours ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

Agreed. If you have played well, you should keep the shirt. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Your manic determination to attack Godfrey at every turn is weird to say the least - and makes it look like you've got an agenda.

We kept a clean sheet on Saturday in case you didn't notice. Look at these highlights. Who is it who makes a great goal saving challenge at 3.30? 

Seriously? Wilson lost his footing and it was a goalmouth scramble to get the ball away. 

2 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Hardly a manic determination to attack him, jesus. Its a forum mate, people air their views, I'm sorry my views differ to your, is he your brother? why do people take it personally about criticising a player? 

I cant understand how people can say zimbo and godfrey are our strongest pairing, when we have shipped loads of goals this season and far too many last year. 

Hanley has been solid for me., considering he has hit the ground running after being out for a while, he hasn't been eased back in and he has still performed. 

btw we can all throw up highlights and video clips to enhance the point. 

3 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Seriously? Wilson lost his footing and it was a goalmouth scramble to get the ball away. 

WHAT A CLEARANCE !!!!!!!!!!

35 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Agreed. If you have played well, you should keep the shirt. 

Lol what piffle. 

1 hour ago, urdie_Canary said:

100% garbage 

Well, if what you say is true we won't have a single problem holding onto him for next season which is great news.

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Well, if what you say is true we won't have a single problem holding onto him for next season which is great news.

He wont be here next season clearly, but I think that is based more on potential, him being a ball playing, young English centre half than him being a polished premier league defender. 

Nobody can look at him this season and think he is 100% ready for a top 6 club IMO. 

41 minutes ago, urdie_Canary said:

He wont be here next season clearly, but I think that is based more on potential, him being a ball playing, young English centre half than him being a polished premier league defender. 

Nobody can look at him this season and think he is 100% ready for a top 6 club IMO. 

That post looks very similar to my post above which you described as "utter garbage". Geeeez...

There was a lot of screaming & jumping in the air by B'mouth players after Cook got sent off. I think they were desperate to even up the numbers.